1/48 - Messerschmitt Bf.109F/G/K "Friedrich"/"Gustav"/"Kurfürst" & Avia S-99/C-10 families by Eduard - F/G/K & S-99 released

Homebee

The "problem" is that the left engine cowl has to cover the new supercarger (the "snail-like" device on the left engine side) taken from the DB 603 engine and introduced on the DB 605 AS and D engines for the Bf 109 G-14/AS, G-10 and K. From top view the supercharger reached (forward) appr. to the front of the supercharger intake mounting plate. Therefore the cowling has ist maximum side extension to this point. The left cowling stics fare more out to the side tan the right side cowl. This is why I linked the photo from Falcon`s siite (above). The open cowling more or less gives an idea how the cowl really looked. Other good photos can be found in the venerable Prien/Rodeike Bf 109 book from Monogram Publ.

In 48th the Hasegawa is the kit that gets it closest, but the Hasegawa 109s suffer from other problems.

Ciao

be

Thanks, should have said I had Beaman's "Last of the Eagles" and the Monogram monographs on the G And K back in 1982, when they were the cutting edge of research, kit that I  could find as  teenage 109 nut,  and 30 old years later to pick up the story, I have been fascinated by the sheer amount of info and pictures that have surfaced since then,  including the pinning down of factory specific variants like the Erla cowling.

So, I am aware of the basic construction details and the assymetric nature of the cowlings,  the starboard side getting a fairing to fair over the gun breech,  but not needing to cover the larger supercharger on the port.

This does not terrible

28782139727_dfc58da40e_z.jpgDSC_0115 by Andreas Beck, on Flickr

There are some great walkround shots of the 3 preserved G-10s on the 109 lair

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index800.htm

The old Revell G-10 was so good as it was based on the G-10 that was in Chino at the time.  I suspect it was someone's pet project, as it was the only one of the late 70's Revell kits with engraved panel lines, as well as being the most accurate of those kits. (Spitfire II, P-40E, P-51D are the ones I'm thinking of)

I digress, just a bit of background on my interest, I still have a unfinished conversion of a G-10 to G-6 from then....

Look forward to more on the kit and possible fixes.

Cheers

T

I am willing to accept some of the errors in Eduard's 109 series just to get a pretty good, buildable run of variants that are common (so they have common errors but look good sat next to each other).. As Mike said on the whole these are good enough for me.

The G-10s and AS G-5/6/14 do need however to be accurate (enough) in their most important distinguishing features. Until I have one I'll reserve judgement. But for the interest of those following Andreas' comments, I find this link has some of the best images of the 605D cowl shapes (because it is all nicely stripped down and you can see the relationship between cowl and what's underneath it)..

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/bf109detailbg_1.htm

It's useful to note that not only does that bulge have to clear the DB603 type supercharger, but also the 'stand off' carrying the lower engine bearer over the turbo and down to the gear attachment strong-point. This also means the lower cowl (behind the exhausts) and the wing/fuselage fairing are 'deformed' to accommodate this part. It's all pretty complex and subtle down there.

Matt

Something interesting from the facebook page:

The following question was asked:

"Is Erla and WNF machines in plan for the future?"

The answer was:

"Yes, they are"

Sounds like there will be an Erla G10.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 2:25 PM, ABeck said:

After having received my kit yesterday a decision had to be taken: Throw away, convert it with the old Revell or make the best out of it. This time the third Option, Maybe no. 2 later with the use of an overtree or Weekend Edition. The left engine cowl does not look too convincing. Step oneis to cut out the recessed mounting for the supercharger.

Doesn't the old Revell G-10 have similar or worse issues with the nose (also on the port side), or is it better in that area than Eduard?

28 minutes ago, elger said:

Doesn't the old Revell G-10 have similar or worse issues with the nose (also on the port side), or is it better in that area than Eduard?

The Revell G-10 is still a good one shape wise,  the exhausts a little high, and if the Zvezda is as accurate as said, the Revell kit is a little too long.

The cowl shape got discussed here, there are some comparison photos of the cowl as well

Revell got the cowl assymetry 

Pic on Photobucket, try opening in a tab if not displaying

Revell%20109%20G-10%20%20nose%20DSCF0761

there is smaller bulge on the starboard side, note kink in panel line, not present on port side, where same panel line is straight. Hard to capture in a photo, but easy enough to see when you look at the kit.

HTH

On 7/27/2018 at 2:17 PM, Brettas said:

37893788_2146102148765588_22325808529428

More here:

I would think that these issues with the cowl and oil cooler will be addressed by Quickboost, Vector, or maybe Roy Sutherland's Barracuda Studios. The oil cooler fairing would be an easy resin replacement to help accuratize the kit. The Left hand engine cover would involve some easy cutting to get a replacement part to fit. There's money to be made by the aftermarket suppliers.

Eduard alway adds resin engine covers to the Brassin Engine set. Perhaps they'll make a decent LH cowl replacement? The Brassin Bf-109F/G exhausts are far more convincing than the plastic parts.

Landing gear legs? Who knows if anyone will step up and cast some accurate late model Bf-109G/K gear.

Edited by Masinissa
  • Like 1

I can't see VECTOR or Roy, loosing time on such a...… of a kit, apart from releasing one from scratch …..

As I said before , don't loose money  this kit and wait for the 5th corrected edition the one called " superlative Bf 109G-10" that should correct the already superlative former editions !

Madcop 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/2254507971230804?__xts__[0]=68.ARAjuDnu4TNnMsfW4LAxKsyNpoJONapE0q_eeyLlEB8qNNoPrcPu1ARrJOy-1lsqpxyEXqVTNBy5DvUNrLBEy6KemA2OixIcbTUdn1j2FmhiyvOxS_GkGmUfk8IwfGK1I1iUPK5dTJ26JzzY3_tcfxyM249jEGM_PysRC4MV9cc1UpzZ1KV7bw&__tn__=-R

(...) Limited Edition kit of Czechoslovak post-war fighter aircraft Avia S-99/C-10 in 1/48 scale we are going to release in October under cat. no 11122. S-99/C-10 is Czechoslovak designation for Bf 109G-10 (WNF/Diana production) flown by Czechoslovak armed forces.

Come and get your Avia to E-Day, on September 28 to Lysá nad Labem!

41801830.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

I've been looking at these messages and more for a while now. I'm still trying to get my head round what's wrong with the gun troughs. Is the cowling top too rounded in addition to them being a little low?

@ABeck That's a nice solution and very well shown. Thank You

On 9/18/2018 at 4:26 AM, SleeperService said:

I've been looking at these messages and more for a while now. I'm still trying to get my head round what's wrong with the gun troughs. Is the cowling top too rounded in addition to them being a little low?

@ABeck That's a nice solution and very well shown. Thank You

Note the positioning of the Eduard G-10 gutter more to the sides. In the photo, the G-10 gutter positioned to the top of the cowling because of its rounded .
Eduard's G-10 looks similar to his G-6.

37893788_2146102148765588_22325808529428

Edited by Brettas
  • Thanks 1

Is there another version of the Bf-109G-10 Mtt?

The Aero Detail covering the Bf-109G shows a faring just like Eduard has reproduced on their 109G-10 Mtt.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMKRIwZqiR6PScgNIFlEpM9j3HHZQvsIbxduzrs

From the IPMS Stockholm walkarourd for the 109-G-10

detail_bf109g10_07.jpg

These are are not like the WNF fairings which form a small square at the bottom of the front wind screen. 

I know it’s a nit, but it needs picking😂

Gents can you plase start a thread in the WWII Aircraft area for all the 109 stuff rather than have it here in the Rumor section pls, this is afterall just to discus whats coming out etc.

Thx

Julien

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...