1:72 CMR Supermarine Scimitar F.1

On 10/8/2013 at 07:44, 104 squadron said:

That my friend is simply stunning!

Marc

Thank you! It's a beautiful kit, and in my opinion worth the week's pay to get it! That's half the battle right there. :)

On 10/8/2013 at 10:25, Winenut said:

Oh my Lordy! I have NEVER seen so many beautiful navy examples in a thread. I am in awe. Precision and class I can only aspire to.

Top job Bill.....I doff my cap

Thank you so much! :)

On 10/26/2013 at 00:07, Duncan B said:

Well done Bill, it deserved a medal. Good to see the Gentleman's scale can win against the large upstarts.

Duncan B

Better still that a British subject won at an American show! :bleh:

On 10/26/2013 at 17:44, AngstROM said:

Absolutely magnificent! Britmodeller is obviously the Home of the Scimitar! Just sorry Redboost seems to have taken down the pics of his... :weep: -so it's GREAT to have something else to ogle!

Thank you! There has been a bevy of beautiful Scimitars lately. I really liked Redboost's build, sorry to hear he's taken down the pictures. Maybe that has something to do with the magazine? I think I remember he said it was going to be in an article.

On 11/2/2013 at 10:02, occa said:

Totally amazing, how do you achieve such an extremely clean look of the transparencies?

Hi occa (Martin, is that you?)

Thanks! Nothing special on the canopies, they are the vacuform parts that came with the kit. I dipped them in Future floor wax and then painted and decaled the frames. In the Work In Progress thread you can see how I blended the windscreen with the fuselage. I think that adds a lot to the "realism" of the model.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hi occa (Martin, is that you?)

Thanks! Nothing special on the canopies, they are the vacuform parts that came with the kit. I dipped them in Future floor wax and then painted and decaled the frames. In the Work In Progress thread you can see how I blended the windscreen with the fuselage. I think that adds a lot to the "realism" of the model.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, yes it's me, didn't recognize it's you but now I know. :)

Yeah I thought the frames are decals, one can hardly paint or even airbrush them with such a precision if canopy masks are used.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by occa

On 11/3/2013 at 06:45, occa said:

Hi Bill, yes it's me, didn't recognize it's you but now I know. :)

Yeah I thought the frames are decals, one can hardly paint or even airbrush them with such a precision if canopy masks are used.

Cheers,

Martin

The canopy frame (the part that is Extra Dark Sea Grey) was painted with Gunze H333 using the Eduard masks supplied with the kit. The white stripes at the front and rear of the canopy are decals, just some stripes from the bottom of the spares box trimmed to size. I don't know if these were a seal of some kind, as they seem to only be on some Scimitars. The only other decals on the canopy are the white circles along the bottom edge.

The front windscreen is painted, again using Gunze and the Eduard masks.

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 months later...

Bill, I'm so glad I've finally caught up with your work. When I lurked here a lot I saw your models and your posts were one of the main attractions for me. Sorry it's taken so long but pleeease, keep them coming.

Cheers,

Graham

• 2 years later...

I've always thought the Scimitar a very nice looking airplane and your build brings out its lines very nicely. Great build and excellent paint work. 

Edited by SAT69
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys! I'm glad you found this old thread and resurrected it. That seems to be happening a lot lately - must be everyone has more time to peruse the archives due to the virus thing. I can think of worse things to do!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1