F-51 D Mustang 1/72 Airfix

My latest humble effort if anyone wants a look (ipad photo limitations and a diminishing amount of Scottish daylight!!)

Anyway - hand painted with Humbrol Enamels - Quickshine (Klear Substitute from Lakeland) and Humbrol Matt Coat

I have no idea how to "wash" the panel lines - had a go previously with a graphite pencil, didn't work so this time I tried a 0.05 ink pen I got from the local art shop - I realise that from a scale point of view it might be a bit much - but I do this for relaxation & I think this effort is undoubtedly my best effort since my return after 35 odd years!! Oh - and Airfix - what an excellent fitting kit - makes it so much easier & enjoyable:-

Have a look if you want & thanks for looking - and can anyone tell me what the traffic lights on the underside of the wing are for?

51a5f2356836d657be6d5afb819659e1.jpg

5d6653d9f0fa70aeaab352f20ff2117a.jpg

9381066ccd5b2c36c119a0801ab3a535.jpg

da8ba6a1b986326b7a3e69aa0ec46068.jpg

7b12a41053c45544b04f7d7fd7addb0d.jpg

0e7d6756d03264e64f99bf9d5f822bde.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice..

You could try FLORY MODELS WASH,for the panel lines. Very easy to use, paint on, leave to dry then wipe off excess..

Thank you - seems they have a handy video clip too on their website!

Edited by Savenosouls

Nice build!

I agree about the panel lines – the ink pen works very well indeed! Floating wash into recessed lines often tends to give a bit uneven results. I really like the strict and exact character of your method. I'm going to try it next time. Possibly there are other colours than black, such as dark grey or even approximations of camo colours, that might work, too.

Good work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

I really like it, it seems to hold up well with exterior detail even next to the Tamiya 'stang. I think the panel lines look great, to echo everyone else. I'm really impressed you achieved that with a .05 pen too!

modelglue

I really like it, it seems to hold up well with exterior detail even next to the Tamiya 'stang. I think the panel lines look great, to echo everyone else. I'm really impressed you achieved that with a .05 pen too!

modelglue

I have to confess to having handled 0.05 pens very early in my engineering drawing days (thank the Lord for computer aided drawing, don't fancy hand drawing the railway junction drawings I produce now!!!!!)

As a futher bit of background - I used the pen & let it dry, then used the Quickshine floor polish to seal before applying the Humbrol Matt.

Thanks to all for the kind words - doubt the next off the line will look so good though (a rather nasty Roden Lagg-3) - The new tool Airfix kits are a joy to build and paint.

• Like 1

Far out!

Looks great to me.

I'm keen to try all sorts of methods for the panel lines so thanks for the tip

Cheers!

I will post a pic of the type of pen when I get home tonight. (Pic below if anyone wants a look)

bcc57a037dfc96d623757f60a5051091.jpg

Edited by Savenosouls