Airfix Bf109E-1/E-3/E-4 (1:48)

Hi all

This is my first post on here and I have just got back into modelling after a 35 year break, due to my illness which keeps me firmly at home. The last time I actually built a model I didn't use any paint and was quite happy just gluing and putting the "stickers" on. I was only 10 at the time and didn't know any better

I recently received a 1/24 scale Spitfire (Airfix) as a present but after inspecting the kit and seeing the amount of flash on it, I simply had to email Airfix and complain. As a result of this email, they kindly sent me a 1/48 BF109 kit and I was told it has been made using brand new tooling.

So I decided to use this kit as a get to know my new airbrush and old skills and hoped they were still there. I tried out a whole bunch of new things, mainly from reading this forum and trolling Youtube. I used Micro Set and Sol for the first time, weathering using Pastels, Panel Line wash using oils, used my new Airbrush for the first time, you get the picture.

The kit was totally free of flash and the fit was brilliant with only a hint of sanding required. After reading previous horror stories about Airfix kits and the state of the 1/24 kit in the loft, I expected the worst. Although there are a few things I could have done better and have learnt from my mistakes, overall I am pleased with my fist try using so many new skills.

I am currently building a Hasegawa P-51D 1/32 and will show this in a week or so, hopefully my skills will have improved somewhat.

All criticism and tips are welcome as I have firmly got the bug again and need to brush up on my skills.

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

• Like 5

Lovely! Welcome back. I need some inspiration as I've been back into it a year but have hit a wall looking at the sheer number of pieces in the Dragon 1/48 Bf110 I'm going to attempt (250 odd) so thank you! I can't make any criticism of your model which looks great, only that the photos are quite underexposed and a bit blurry so you're not showing your handiwork off to its best. Enjoy the Mustang - hope your desk is big enough!

Edited by burncpt

Thats a great return to the hobby! Ive got one of these too and keep "going back " and seeing if i could pluck up the courage to do it. I am a non airbrush modeller at the min( contemplating it though...) and most of my work is 1/72 scale. But your example is yet another reason to upscale!

Cheers

Thanks for the kind comments.

I had looked at using a brush but due to the price of a decent airbrush and compressor and the finish that can be achieved, it was a no brainer. The pictures were taken using my iPhone so I apologise if they are not up to scratch, will get the camera out for the Mustang when its finished. All I would say is get an airbrush and try it using some Vallejo Model Air Acrylics and you wont look back.

Actually, I have 4 airbrushes that were bargains on Ebay so if either would like to borrow one to try it out, just let me know, you can use a can as a test.

My main 2 brushes are not top of the range by any means, a Sparmax for the Klear and Varnishes and a Premiair G35 for the main paint. The compressor and 2 brushes cost me a total of £120 but will be getting an Iwata when finances allow but the other 2 are still decent enough and give a better finish than a brush so PM me if interested.

Edited by jettnett2003

Welcome back to modelling!

That's a really nice and proper '09 and your airbrushed finish looks impeccable!

There are a lot of 3rd party decal sheets devoted exclusively to those ugly crooked crosses that invariably adorn the fins of Third Reich planes. Yours looks a bit empty without it.

In fact, Bf 109 ailerons do drop along with the flaps when they're fully deployed, so full marks for observing that! However, the ailerons don't droop all the way (there would be no margin for them to operate properly) but only about 11 degrees, IIRC.

Excellent work! Looking forward to your Mustang.

Kind regards,

Joachim

There are a lot of 3rd party decal sheets devoted exclusively to those ugly crooked crosses that invariably adorn the fins of Third Reich planes. Yours looks a bit empty without it.

When I was doing the decals, the variation I have done did not have the crosses on the fins, all it had was the kill count which is why I left them off.

As I am not a real 109 guru I went with the instructions as I couldn't see any online reference to prove otherwise.

Now you mention it, it does look a tad bare on the back end :weep:

As your build is of one of Galland's 109s. Swastikas were painted on the fin. there are plenty of photos showing this. Certain references these days seem to be politically correct the same way as the model companies have to be.

Otherwise a very neat model.

As your build is of one of Galland's 109s. Swastikas were painted on the fin. there are plenty of photos showing this. Certain references these days seem to be politically correct the same way as the model companies have to be.

Otherwise a very neat model.

I have some Swastikas in an Eduard kit I have been given so will add them then.

Nice work mate, looks great - especially for the first build getting back into the hobby!

Built the same kit in the same scheme a couple of years ago and have also got the E-7 trop version to have a go at too. These new tool Airfix kits are all of a pretty good quality, well detailed and straightforward to build in comparison with some of the older stuff.

Look forwards to seeing that big Mustang,

Cheers, Stu