F-86 Sabre Single Type Group Build

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose we could include the Fury family, it is a variant of the Sabre after all, much like the F-86D/G/K/L's.

Sean

Agreed, the Fury's are as much part of the Sabre story as the all weather variants, they should be included too!

Wez

I suppose we could include the Fury family, it is a variant of the Sabre after all, much like the F-86D/G/K/L's.

The FJ-4 was a completely new aircraft. How about FJ-1s, -2s and -3s are in. FJ-4s are out.

• Like 1

The FJ-4 was a completely new aircraft. How about FJ-1s, -2s and -3s are in. FJ-4s are out.

Well, the FJ-4's are considered the final development of the Sabre but I know what you mean they are more or less completely different aircraft. I'll have to have a word with Paul, see what he says.

Sean

The FJ-4 might be on the very edge of legit for the Sabre GB, but it should be considered the ultimate form/evolution of the original design. And probably for that reason it would be a sort of shame to not include it just because it doesn't look like a "normal" Sabre.

I can't imagine too many people would be building it cause they probably aren't aware of the family tree as far as the Fury's go.

Plus if you ban the FJ-4 you would then have to ban the FJ-1 on the same basis, it may be the genesis of the Sabre series but with the straight wings as with the FJ-4 it doesn’t really look like a "normal" Sabre. I do notice one thing looking at the FJ-1 from a design point of view, you can see the blood line in it from the Mustang, one of the things that fascinate me with aircraft.

As usual (time permitting) I plan to build something a little bit different so am thinking a Luftwaffe F-86K Sabre Dog (was going to be a RAAF F-86 but.....), though I could build a FJ-4 just to stir things up! :P

I feel Ok with the Fury that is a navalised F-86 but not to keen on the straight wing variants. This could end up being a North American jet GB instead.

But the FJ-1's did have a straight wing which made it the real odd one in the family, while the FJ-4, with an almost complete rebuild still pretty much maintained the family looks, just a bit more brutal. More so too than the F-86D Sabre Dog did, which when comparing the two aircraft without knowing their designations you would be inclinded to think that the FJ-4 was part of the family F-86 while the F-86D was that distant cousin that no one wants to take about that's keep locked in the shed!

Although Paul doesn't think the FJ-1 should be included sort of due to the straight wing, it would be a nice evolutionary thing to have it included. Would look really amazing to have the hole lot together as a timeline starting from the FJ-1 through all the F-86's/FJ-2&3's right up to the FJ-4...........and the special place for the F-86D/K/L.

Interestingly the D's held the world speed records in Nov52 & again in Jul53!

I don't think we'll see many FJ-1's or 4's in this GB

Though...........I have found out Grand Pheonix turns out a rather nice 1/48th version with Aries resin bits!!!! Plus being Navy no NMF!!!!!! :yahoo:

I don't think we'll see many FJ-1's or 4's in this GB

Though...........I have found out Grand Pheonix turns out a rather nice 1/48th version with Aries resin bits!!!! Plus being Navy no NMF!!!!!! :yahoo:

I've got a Matchbox FJ-4 in The Stash...

that'd be right, from no one build one we'll suddenly have half a dozen of the wee beasties! :lol:

Is the Matchbox one still in the multi-colour plastic? I remember seeing them when they came out, they never quite grabbed my attention, just didn't like the multi-colour plastic. Plus I thought they had panel lines wide enough for a Tie Fighter to fly in chasing Luke!

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't expect to spark such a conversation! Though I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

I feel Ok with the Fury that is a navalised F-86 but not to keen on the straight wing variants. This could end up being a North American jet GB instead.

Well, after all, the F-100 is the Super Sabre... :shutup:

My personal view is that NAA was good at making new variations on the basic formula. While there's a definite structural connection from Mustang I to P-51D, the lightweight prototypes and P-51H are really totally new designs but still clearly "riffing on the theme". The F-82 is obviously a very different aircraft, but so clearly derivative that it seems silly to leave it out. As someone else noted, the FJ-1 looks a bit like the "Jet Mustang". While it IS unquestionably the beginning of the F-86 line (or rather the only completed product of one branch), it is different enough that I wouldn't argue that it MUST be included- sort of a missing link, I suppose. Anyway, I've got a plan B. I do think that it makes sense to include all swept-wing Furies, unless you simply want to draw the line at Air Force(s) versus Navy.

bob

Edited by gingerbob

What? Super Sabre or swept wing Fury?

An FJ-4. I've already decided on an Ethiopian F-86F in Iranian camouflage and a USAF F-86E. I'd like to get a -D in as well. I'm just wondering if I can make it four and do the FJ-4...

Got mine! Academy 1/48 F-86F-30.

Got the Alclads (which there will be 6 colours used!)

Happy days....a wingy-thingy!

ATB.......eat my plane MiniRiggers & MiniRiggers' best friend!!!! Lol

It looks like we'll have a mini build off on our hands!

You had to say it, dintcha?!?!? 'cos now I wanna build one... :mental:

you know you want to :bleh: .....at this rate you'll need to produce a model a week if you are going to meet your commitments for next year!! :frantic:

I have to admit now that Bob has mentioned the F-100 Super Sabre I now want to build one, I do like em!

Hmmm a Century Series GB for 2015 anyone???? :hmmm: