Airbrush recommendations?

kwaterous

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an airbrush and compressor that works well for them.

-I am a beginner and have never used an airbrush before

-I would like a multipurpose airbrush that can do anything from base coating to detail work

-I would prefer something that is under 250$ Canadian for both airbrush and compressor

any feedback is welcome

thanks

I've used a Bager 150 double action airbrush since 1975 and only recenly bought a second one to supplement it, It's easy to use and clean and spare are readilly available. As for a compressor I user an Ingersol Rand diaphragm type it has an adjustable output regulator and I've attached a 2l cold drink bottle to take out the pulsations and act as a water trap. Cheap and very effective.

Colin

If I were you I'd be looking to buy an Aztec 470 airbrush .. easy to use and learn on .. easy to clean and easy to maintain ... I deal first airbrush for anyone.

Compressor wise check out your local Ebay .. seem lots of shops are doing good deals on compressors and a few cheap airbrushes thrown in for good measure... spotted a deal of a UK seller doing a 3L tanked compressor and two airbrushes for £65 :yikes:

Here is a review of the Aztec for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsI3nHAbjCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iocSTRe0I

Edited by Menden

If I were you I'd be looking to buy an Aztec 470 airbrush .. easy to use and learn on .. easy to clean and easy to maintain ... I deal first airbrush for anyone.

Compressor wise check out your local Ebay .. seem lots of shops are doing good deals on compressors and a few cheap airbrushes thrown in for good measure... spotted a deal of a UK seller doing a 3L tanked compressor and two airbrushes for £65 :yikes:

Here is a review of the Aztec for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsI3nHAbjCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iocSTRe0I

I've justed ordered myself the very setup and also a Veda 130 E airbrush to go with it.

I'll let you know how it goes as i'm also a airbrush virgin so to speak

I am a long-standing fan of the Badger Anthem model (double action, gravity feed). Of the many brands and models I've used over 40+ years of airbrushing, it's been the easiest to set up and use, easiest to clean, and has always done whatever I've needed it to, from covering large areas to doing pretty fine lines and mottling.

As for compressors, my current version is a "cheapie" from the well-known auction site which has excelled through three years of use (at least several times weekly) and is quieter than any one I've had before. It doesn't actually even have a name, though a quick recce on the internet shows that almost everybody that carries it lists it as model AS18B. My guess is that places like Harbor freight and TCP/Global, and discount web stores, probably carry it.

Edited by thorfinn

As has been said invest in the tool rather than the power supply if you are on a limited budget.

So an ebay compressor, on the airbrush front also have a look at the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2 in1 is a good all round beginners brush.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52540-inexpensive-hs-starter-airbrush/

It's good quality, double action, easy to clean and strip beginners airbrush.

It has a 0.2mm and 2ml paint cup for fine work, from 1mm upwards and a 0.4mm nozzle and 5ml paint cup for the larger area work.

UK price including tax is £80, so should be about $110 canadian dollars before tax over there.

Paul

little-cars

My ebay buy just turned up and at £64 i got 2 airbrushes and a compressor with tank.

Compressor is very quiet considering the price and with the tank is even better because it wont be running all the time. I'm way off any paint work on my current build so can't comment on the gravity feed airbrush just yet but i'm hoping my Veda brush turns up before i get to spray anything.

• Like 1

My ebay buy just turned up and at £64 i got 2 airbrushes and a compressor with tank.

Compressor is very quiet considering the price and with the tank is even better because it wont be running all the time. I'm way off any paint work on my current build so can't comment on the gravity feed airbrush just yet but i'm hoping my Veda brush turns up before i get to spray anything.

Have you managed to try out this Veda airbrush yet?

Have you managed to try out this Veda airbrush yet?

Not yet its had to come fron China so won't be here for a while but if you search on youtube Genessis models do a product review on it and seems pretty pleased with it

• 1 month later...

Sorry yes i've give it ago and as a beginner its fantastic.

Feels solid, and with a lid for the colour cup it stops any unwanted spillages.

Control wise i find it is easy to get fine details done but with a quick adjustment of the needle stop you can get a good wide coverage.

Very easy to clean just beware of the nozzle its very fragile and the o-ring is easily damaged but other than that its very easy and quick to clean out.

From a beginners point of veiw for £20 its worth a go to learn with and it is also good as a back up brush

• Like 1