1/48 - MiG-25RB/RBT "Foxbat-B" by Kitty Hawk - released

Homebee

After the the interceptor (MiG-25PD/PDS) and training (two seats MiG-25U/UB) "Foxbat" types, KittyHawk is to release in 2014 (?) a 1/48th kit from the reconnaissance & bomber variant of this Soviet era iconic aircraft: the MiG-25RB "Foxbat-B".

My favourite variant. :thumbsup:

Among the various test shot pictures posted recently on Internet, THE evidence a MiG-25RB test shot with a bomb and a recce nose.

But the engine exhausts are wrong for the type... :whistle:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kagero.SM/photos_stream

1378641.jpg

625510.jpg

The KH MiG-25RB exhausts

Source: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.588810247842510.1073741931.224979750892230&type=1

Real MiG-25RB

Source: http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=913&cid=62&min=60&orderby=dateA&show=12

DSC01254.JPG

MiG-25RB walkarounds:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_62.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_369.html

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

After a long delay the project seems to be alive. After the MiG-25PD/PDS (link) Kitty Hawk is to release a 1/48th MiG-25RB/RBS "Foxbat-B/D" kit - ref. KH80113

RB and RBS in the same box??? Different nose, air intakes length, tail cone etc.   

Source: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5876571048

Box art

318d0a.jpg&key=104d08b23f2cc88aa055ca7f6

Considering the ICM recce Foxbat kits are of my convenience... I'd have preferred the long announced 1/48th two seats MiG-25PU kit (link).

imageproxy.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Sad 1

I think they still have problems in identifying and making difference between the different versions!!! :wall: :wall: On the box it is saying RBS while it is obvious that on the artwork you see the RBT which has a completely different nose section!!! So which one will it be????????????

OK it could be just a mistake in typing the name, but did they do corrections to plastic parts, all the mistakes of the original kit or just added a new nose section??? (which ever)

Good luck to them but I would still prefer the ICM kit and if needed use some of Cold War Studios conversion noses for it, like the new BM nose.

Best regards

Gabor

The ICM kits are so good, although I would prefer Kitty Hawk steel pins for the cantilever MLG, and more positive location points for the MLG wheels and tailplane as the Chinese have done. 

Pretty sure ICM will do a laska, and maybe a trainer in the fulness of time. But I wish Kitty Hawk well in the Far East so that we can get the big 1/32 Thunderflash and Thunderjet and maybe even a Voodoo.

Tony 

Hi guys, sorry for intruding but didn't want to start a topic on Mig-25RB, 
But wanting to know what is different between a Mig-25RBT and Mig-25RBK, the reason for am asking is, sometime later I want to do an Indian Air force  mig-25RBk but there is no kit out there so I did make from an RBT, but is there any difference between the two, other than camera removed? Does the physical appearance look different, like wing etc, sorry for asking such a novice question? Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you cheers.

7 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Hi guys, sorry for intruding but didn't want to start a topic on Mig-25RB, 
But wanting to know what is different between a Mig-25RBT and Mig-25RBK, the reason for am asking is, sometime later I want to do an Indian Air force  mig-25RBk but there is no kit out there so I did make from an RBT, but is there any difference between the two, other than camera removed? Does the physical appearance look different, like wing etc, sorry for asking such a novice question? Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you cheers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-25#Reconnaissance_and_strike_versions

RBT = "Foxbat-B"

RBK = "Foxbat-D" Electronic recce a/c.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

5 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

wanting to know what is different between a Mig-25RBT and Mig-25RBK . . .

. . . is there any difference between the two, other than camera removed? 

The RBF and RBK are the same side-line of the MiG-25R family. They are electronic recon aircraft. The nose is considerably different from the RB / RBT versions.

From the front:

- Longer "nose cone"

- the 2 side looking grey panels are bigger

- no cameras, replaced with electronic surveilance equipment "windows"

- different panel lines

Cold War Studios is making a resin conversion CWS 48007 for the RBF version in 48th to go with the ICM kit.

Best regards

Gabor

• Thanks 1

CWS48007 - MiG-25 RBF nose conversion set for the ICM kit in 1/48 scale

http://coldwarstudio.com/MiG-25 RBF nose conversion set for the ICM kit in 1/48 scale product/

There's now also a ICM MiG-25RBF kit - ref.48904

http://www.icm.com.ua/news/543-mig-25-rbf-soviet-reconnaissance-plane.html

1529659422_48904_web_box.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

nice that KH comes up with a correct bomb rack type for at least conventional bombs!!

don't think that the ICM double side by side bomb rack was used operationally for conventinal bombs!" maybe special weapons....

the BM and R-60 load out on the other hand... 🙄

Strange! The mistake about the wrong naming of the version was pointed out a long time ago still no correction was made. It’s not like very expensive cutting steel for a new correction, just change one letter on the art work.

On the other hand the box art shows few things which should be in the box to make the right version of RBT. For example the outer reinforcement rib is obviously is missing here, but it is there on the plastic parts. OK just sand it off.

A bit more complicated. Box art shows the right, long, late version of the air intake top lip, exactly the way it was on original aircraft. In plastic form you get the early “short” intake lips. It is not only the length but also the whole top part of the intake which would need to be re-made to make a correct RBT. The same mistake was also on original kit by ICM also, but they made a correction to it.

pyFzf17.jpg

Why Oh Why give the H-58 missile which was the weapon exclusively of the Wild Weasel MiG-25BM version. KH side views also show R-60 Aphid AA missiles and the double launch rail on an interceptor style pylon. All this on a recon aircraft????

eUK2aKA.jpg

It seems KH still has not really mastered the differences between Foxbat versions and what goes where. They had years to correct all this.

Looking at the photos it seems that what is in the box is the same kit as was released so many years ago as an interceptor. Only this time we have a new nose. So are all the problems encountered on the original MiG-25PD kit are repeated also? Looking at the rear of the aircraft I would say yes. The top airbrake is shown open revealing a big airbrake bay in the fuselage. Please take a look at the real thing, the airbrake lays flat on the surface of the airframe!

I know KH representative (was it Mr. Song in 2013) will once again desperately comment as he did with the release of the interceptor that they did not have a chance to have a close look of the real aircraft.

The underside has not been show, I would say for obvious reasons.

There is simply no point in going over all the problems with the original kit again.

VoecAO8.jpg

One welcome side of the kit (if it is going to be part of the standard kit and not just an extra set for more money) is the small plastic holder with resin parts including a detailed engine exhaust and to go with them some ground covers. Well the pilot figures are questionable for a Foxbat. The one on the left is certainly only good for your MiG-29 or Su-27 kits. It is dressed in IPS-72 harness which was NEVER used on the KM-1 or KM-1M seats used in MiG-25’s. It is a “quick harness” for the K-36 seats! The figure has the ZS-7 helmet with the latest oxygen mask completely out of era for a Foxbat.

wCKjbn5.jpg

Good luck to KH with this kit! I would still prefer the ICM if confronted with the choice.

Best regards

Gabor

• Thanks 1

If this is a view of the real kit parts then we have a small problem with the scale of the pilots. 

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

wCKjbn5.jpg

On a Russian forum it was rightly pointed out that in comparison to the main wheels the pilots are a little bit of midgets with a hight of around 150-160cm. Not really a proud pilot figure.:D

Best regards

Gabor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Homebee said:

Interesting in-box review & dry fit in TMM homepage

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/01/dry-fit-review-kittyhawks-48th-scale.html

V.P.

Interesting and done to a standard higher than I've seen typical of other reviews :goodjob: The reviewer has clearly taken the time and trouble to not only understand the subject but also investigate how well the kit represents it. Far better than the usual "sturdy box, shiny plastic, pretty decals" efforts.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Col. said:

Interesting and done to a standard higher than I've seen typical of other reviews :goodjob: The reviewer has clearly taken the time and trouble to not only understand the subject but also investigate how well the kit represents it. Far better than the usual "sturdy box, shiny plastic, pretty decals" efforts.

I go on the modelling news site quite often and they tend to always give honest reviews of kits and don't hold back if they find problems.

I wonder if the metal inserts on the resin struts are just axel pins or go on into the leg, as its a large kit to sit on resin gear

• Like 1