clear view bulges on the side of lancaster canopies

Selwyn

Been looking at some pictures of Lancasters and it seems that some aircraft had canopy bulges, some not. Were these introduced at some time in production? They seem to be missing on earlier airframes, but I have have seen an image of a white Mk VII (FE) without them as well. Were they adopted mid war then fell into disuse and removed again later?

Has anybody got any clues on this?

Selwyn

Indeed a good question.

There are photographs of AVRO Manchesters with the canopy bulges also. I have a pic of Manchester IA (L7486) with them shortly after delivery to 207 Sqn. The aircraft shows no squadron codes so is obviously new. I'm sure someone will have info for the dates of the production run of that aircraft, to date the photograph.

I also have a pic of a Manchester Mk 1 (L7291) of 97 Sqn, complete with central fin and canopy bulges.

After manufacture of the Manchester ceased the remaining aircraft already und construction were finished as Mk I Lancasters. I would therefore have thought that the canopy bulges ought to have been fitted from the start of Lancaster production.

Early serials, L, R, W, DV, ED/EE, up to about LL seem to have them but it's worth checking photos if you have them.

Nick

Lanc nut!

Let's not forget the instances where they seem to be on one side but not the other. It would be nice to know when and where they were present. Or is this something where you have to examine photographs of the aeroplane you wish to represent (always a good idea anyway, if you have the photographs)?

Regards,

Jason

I believe the canopy side panels are interchangeable so if the blister panels were deleted from production later in the war, and a particular crew liked them, it would only be a few minutes' work to replace a flat one with a blister one pulled off a Lancaster which made it back to base but was not worth repairing due to damage.

I believe the canopy side panels are interchangeable so if the blister panels were deleted from production later in the war, and a particular crew liked them, it would only be a few minutes' work to replace a flat one with a blister one pulled off a Lancaster which made it back to base but was not worth repairing due to damage.

Or perhaps whatever was available from stores on the day.

Let's not forget the instances where they seem to be on one side but not the other. It would be nice to know when and where they were present. Or is this something where you have to examine photographs of the aeroplane you wish to represent (always a good idea anyway, if you have the photographs)?

Regards,

Jason

Quite so, and NX611 still operates with a canopy bulge on the starboard side and no bulge on the port side. This isn't some recent mod either. Photographs of her in the mid 60's show this configuration.

It may be worthwhile stopping to consider that, before one states that a particular aircraft had no canopy bulges, it might depend upon which side the photograph was taken from.

I think I'm correct in saying that in photographs (well, the ones I have seen anyway) where there is only one bulge it's on the starboard side. I'm sure now someone will post a pic showing the exact opposite. :hmmm:

Early serials, L, R, W, DV, ED/EE, up to about LL seem to have them but it's worth checking photos if you have them.

Nick

Lanc nut!

EE139 didn't have them! I think its worth checking pics of individual aircraft if you can find them as there doesn't seem to be any rule as such to go by.

Indeed Chacer, no rule of thumb at all. I would maintain that no port side blister does not mean no starboard side blister. One thing I have not got is a photo of a lanc without the right side blister. Again I'm not pedantic and would be very interested to find otherwise.

Nick

I think most Lancs had the starboard blister, but those aircraft with H2S had the port blister deleted because the H2S equipment on the navigators desk prevented access to the blister for the aircrew.

Dave.

Quite correct.

H2S equipped Lanc I's and III's didn't have the port blister fitted for that exact reason.

The starb'd one was used by the F/E for observation of the night sky,he spent 80%-ish

of his time looking out of the cockpit on ops.