Matchbox 1/72 Bell AH-1G HueyCobra "Virginia Rose II" - Completed

Speedman

You may also want to enlarge the aperture on the exhaust - it's the most toy-like thing on the model. Maybe also blank it off inside.

As hythe said, it is the worst part of the kit, totally inaccurate and I really don't know what Matchbox were thinking when they designed it. So I opened up the exhaust aperture and stared hunting around for something to make the exhaust from. As luck would have it, I found the Academy rocket launcher I used parts from to improve the rocket pods on this kit fitted perfectly. I capped one end with some plasticard and carefully thinned the edge of the other with a scalpel and some wet & dry, with that done I just had to work out how to mount and leave a tiny gap around it.

I tried bits of card in various places to stand it off from the fuselage but it was always a little lopsided. In the end I just wrapped it in 3mm masking tape and kept unwinding it until it sat exactly where I needed it then glued it in place. I added a few bits of scrap card at the capped end to strengthen it and gave it a lick of Revell acrylic Anthracite. With that done I fitted the cockpit and glued the fuselage together. I applied some green putty and once that was sanded a layer of Mr.Surfacer.

2013-10-1815_45_25_zps3007bbfd.jpg

2013-10-1911_05_34_zpsc22af18d.jpg

2013-10-1911_06_13_zps90579b0e.jpg

2013-10-1911_06_36_zps5ddde2cf.jpg

Excellent? Where did you obtain scale plans, may I ask (since I have LOTS of these beauties still to build)

I've spent about an hour trying to find the website I found them on tonight (technically it's last night now, but you get the idea) but I've not come across it again. I originally found it whilst looking for something else and it's one of the few plans I've found that had both early and late versions of the "G". I'll keep having a dig around the net to see if I can stumble across it again.

I've made and fitted the clear nose with the twin landing lights tonight. It's just a lump of clear sprue filed down, the lights were made by drilling into the block and painting the holes silver and using a black Sharpe to blacken the back of the clear part and the blunt tip of the nose. Using a Sharpe to do this gives a much stronger bond when using CA than if you use paint.

2013-10-2003_00_20_zps59ddf858.jpg

It's been a busy day! The tail is on, as are the stub wings, tailplanes and the top fairing. All have had some Mr.Surfacer and a good sanding, now I just have to go over a few of the panel lines again and I can start adding some detail parts. I added a small section of card under the rear of the tail boom and blended it in as it narrows too much at the join to the tail assembly.

2013-10-2119_02_21_zps9542bbd8.jpg

2013-10-2119_02_11_zps7ccc7521.jpg

Now that I've finished my Jug I can crack on with this build again. I've fitted the skids at last and added some card for the tail boom access panel and AC filter intake, I've also scribed and then chiselled out the fresh air intake above the canopy.

2013-10-2919_49_5401_zps947ad700.jpg

Edited by Speedman

I couldn't live with the gun pods so they've had to have some surgery. I've drilled part way through to give the impression of the two vent holes on either side, if I had gone all the way through it would have been possible to see right through the pod and would have looked awful. The pylon was chopped off and some card added either side to bulk it out to the correct dimensions then I filed down the bottom so there are now two attachment points to the pod. After scribing the pod I reattached the pylon and fitted some new locating pins. I've also added a couple of bits to the airframe like the crew steps and the oil tank vent behind the anti collision light, I've masked the canopy and whittled out parts of the rotor hub so it looks a bit more realistic. Fingers crossed I should be spraying some primer on it tomorrow.

2013-11-0219_08_53_zpsa310aa55.jpg

• Like 3

it occured to me looking at this one and Neil's two earlier today that a coat of primer changes the model. It suddenly goes from having an identifiable heritage due to the colour of the base kit plastic and showing all the additions/corrections/modifications made to then become a scale replica of the real machine.

Sorry, enough of my ramblings, nice work Speedman :speak_cool:

Hi Friend:

I am really think in being missing for great things here since some time ago....I really am very impressed about your nice work with this one. I recently have won one of these nice little gems in Ebay too and also, I have have one Hobby Craft copy new and another one with missing pieces so, I will use your ideas and work as a basis for mine.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers,

I didn't appreciate just how good this is until I saw it in the primer. Looking good!

Regards,

Adrian

Too true - How often does the primer show up all those serious faults.. This build has completely smashed that myth..

Looking forward to the completed product..

Cheers.. Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted an updated, but now I've caught up on a few of the other builds for this group I can get back to this one. A few weeks ago I sprayed the white undersides and today I masked it up and put down a few coats of tan.

2013-12-0416115701_zps0d5a71f2.jpg

2013-12-0416113701_zps7930a1b2.jpg

• Like 1