Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire question

Monty Python

Quick question for anybody who has built any of the Tamiya 1:32 scale Spitfire's.

Toying with the idea of using the prop tip decals just to save time instead of masking and spraying. Do the decals work ok over the black props or does any colour show through?

TIA

Chris

Contrary to popular belief, you *can* paint the blades black, then mask and paint the yellow. I've never been able to paint the yellow first and get all the blades even. Painting the black first then masking & painting the yellow makes life much easier. Just do a quick (thin) coat of flat white, then paint the yellow. Works like a charm.

• Like 4

To be honest - painting Yellow tips is the most annoying part of "my" modelling processes.

I have always struggled painting the yellow first, then hoping that my masking abilities manage to make a nice even demarkation line of each tip.

I just might try the black / white / yellow technique above to see if I fare any better - probably couldn't do much worse I suppose..

Cheers .. Dave.

Paint the yellow first then cut a strip of Tamiya tape to exactly the right scale width for the propellor tip. Cut the strip into eight equal length pieces for a four bladed prop, then apply a piece to front and back of the prop blade. Because the strips are already the correct width they're easy to align front and back and with the exact tip of the prop blade. Crimp down the tape along the edge of the blade with fine tweezers and fold another small cap of tape over the tip to prevent any bleed. Result below on a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire IX propellor.

Repaintedpropandspinner.jpg

Jeff

Contrary to popular belief, you *can* paint the blades black, then mask and paint the yellow. I've never been able to paint the yellow first and get all the blades even. Painting the black first then masking & painting the yellow makes life much easier. Just do a quick (thin) coat of flat white, then paint the yellow. Works like a charm.

Amazing. This *never* works for me. I always paint the prop blades yellow (white primer first if it's a dark colour plastic) then mask off the tips and blow the rest in the main prop colour.

Just goes to show there are many variations in technique and what works for one person is not necessarily the best for another.

I used to do that, but always got frustrated because I couldn't get them all the same width, crooked edges, etc. Trying to mask that skinny little tip and get the tape to stick, etc, etc. Painting them afterward allows you to put some marks down on a piece of paper, butt the tip of the prop up against something for stability, align the tape to your marks, and achieve a perfect result every time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Paint the yellow first then cut a strip of Tamiya tape to exactly the right scale width for the propellor tip. Cut the strip into eight equal length pieces for a four bladed prop, then apply a piece to front and back of the prop blade. Because the strips are already the correct width they're easy to align front and back and with the exact tip of the prop blade. Crimp down the tape along the edge of the blade with fine tweezers and fold another small cap of tape over the tip to prevent any bleed. Result below on a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire IX propellor.

Repaintedpropandspinner.jpg

Jeff

Works for me every time. I'm just at that stage with the Eduard Mk VIII Spitfire. Only difference in my method is to put a dab of masking liquid on the tip over the tape. Solid seal, and good results.