1/48 - Douglas A/B-26B Invader by MustHave - released

Homebee

Right its essentially a softer moulded version if the Monogram kit engraved with more opening options canopies etc and a pretty much complete resinand etch iinterior. The moulded Monogram interior detail is much sharper but tbe resin stuff is nice and its the inly way to get an 8 gun out of the box. Its not a great improvment plastic wise but if you bought all the bells amd whistles for your Monogram then it would cost probably more if you fiund them all. If you have Monogram with the stuff keep it and rescribe uf you must. Worth a look if you want a diorama. The 8 gun nose is fab and these have been going for 25 quid on their own. The did screw up the turrets like Monogram did before correction and the nice clear bits could have been in a seperate bag. I am pleased withit overall

Will they do a K model? That is the one I want!

Steve

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OMG - panel lines like old Matchbox - will be good in 1/144 - my monogram stay in staf and waiting for rescribing. :confused:

OMG - panel lines like old Matchbox - will be good in 1/144 - my monogram stay in staf and waiting for rescribing. :confused:

With surface detail and soft molding rivaling that of the 1987 vintage OEZ MiG-21 & Su-7 kits? :huh:

No thanks... <_<

I wouldn't get too hysterical over those photos of the 'panel lines'…..I have the kit and the photos are very misleading…..sure, the panel lines are not as fine as those found on recent kits from the likes of Great Wall Hobby, Hasegawa or Tamiya but they are certainly NOT like those found on old Matchbox or OEZ kits either. They are more akin to those on the more recent Airfix kits and with a little light sanding of the overall 'skin' and a coat or two of paint will look just fine. I will be the first to admit that the sprues do look 'limited run' with rather heavy sprue gates etc but the surface detail is excellent and we can definitely all stop looking at the now dated Monogram-Promodeller kits through rose-tinted spectacles…….IMHO.

I wouldn't get too hysterical over those photos of the 'panel lines'…..I have the kit and the photos are very misleading…..sure, the panel lines are not as fine as those found on recent kits from the likes of Great Wall Hobby, Hasegawa or Tamiya but they are certainly NOT like those found on old Matchbox or OEZ kits either. They are more akin to those on the more recent Airfix kits and with a little light sanding of the overall 'skin' and a coat or two of paint will look just fine. I will be the first to admit that the sprues do look 'limited run' with rather heavy sprue gates etc but the surface detail is excellent and we can definitely all stop looking at the now dated Monogram-Promodeller kits through rose-tinted spectacles…….IMHO.

Nobody is looking at the Monogram Invader kit through rose-tinted spectacles. We are all well aware of its problems.

Who said that the old kit was better? It's just that at two and a half times the price of the old kit you would expect better... <_<

BTW the MustNotHave kit is based on the Promodeller one so all shape errors remain... :rolleyes:

But since you have it, is the molded detail as soft as it looks in the IPMS Deutschland review photos?

Edited by Panoz

I just was hoping for more with the new model. The whole cockpit interior should be removed - better if they gave nothing to the fuselage interior

Nobody is looking at the Monogram Invader kit through rose-tinted spectacles. We are all well aware of its problems.

Who said that the old kit was better? It's just that at two and a half times the price of the old kit you would expect better... <_<

BTW the MustNotHave kit is based on the Promodeller one so all shape errors remain... :rolleyes:

But since you have it, is the molded detail as soft as it looks in the IPMS Deutschland review photos?

Must Have made a big mistake if they really have "copied" the Monogram shape problems :banghead:

Rene

Have you read some of the drivel on other forums about the Monogram A-26 and other Monogram-Revell kits from the 1970-80s ??…..I can assure you that there are lots of people out there looking at these kits through rose-tinted spectacles and making ridiculous comments. In essence, it seems that anything that emanates from the Axis of Inaccuracy (China, the Czech Republic and Italy) cannot possibly be better than these products, in spite of having engraved panel lines, often superior detail (understandably so, given that they are taking advantage of newer technology etc etc…..Don't get me wrong….some of those old Monogram-Revell kits are still the only show in town and, again, some offer detail that is on a par with more modern kits - I have several in my stash which are currently irreplaceable with either old or new generation kits……but these people are out there "I would rather persevere with my great old Monogram P-61B Black Widow than try to deal with the piece of junk that is the GWH kit" etc etc…….c'mon..who are they trying to kid ?

I totally agree with your comment regarding price differentials but then look at from another perspective. Yes, the MustHave kit is expensive but you get a pile…and I do mean a pile…of high quality resin and some very nice brass turned gun barrels together with a very nice decal sheet……I paid far more for my original A-26B project, based on the Pro-Modeller kit with Cutting Edge bits (which subsequently turned out to be inaccurate), AM gun barrels, AM decal sheet etc etc……I far prefer paying up front for the whole shooting match……Look at what Wingman are doing and now Fly have jumped on board with their Jet Provost 'Profipack'.

As I said previously, my kit (I cannot speak for others) bears no resemblance to the photos I have seen posted elsewhere in terms of panel lines. I am not one for making allowances and I can be as demanding as the next person (though I am not as A$£^ as some) and I do not believe I have a 'special kit' but the panel lines simply do not look as pronounced as they appear in the on-line photos…..the proof will be in the pudding and once one of the many that have bought this kit actually get around to making and painting it, then you may be in a better position to judge whether I am being contrary (which I am not) or whether some are just being plain fussy and persisting with the donning of rose-tinted spectacles.

• Like 4

Rene,

I have now done a thorough analysis of the two kits (since I have both here) and, as BushBrit66 has stated, there are some resemblances to the Monogram kit. The fuselage certainly looks like a very close clone of the Monogram parts except, of course, it features engraved panel lines and some work has been done around the tail, including the separation of the rudder. The wings are, of course, quite different, due to the fact that the flying control surfaces are provided as separate items although the mounting of the wings (using internal fuselage spars) is quite like the original kit. I must also agree that some of the resin parts do seem to resemble Paragon and Cutting Edge aftermarkets parts - Im hoping they are more akin to the former because by all accounts some of the CE stuff is not as accurate as had previously been suggested. I do hope that Must Have ! agreed on the development of this kit with those companies (notwithstanding that two are no longer trading) otherwise they may find themselves in hot water. On reflection, I was a little disappointed to discover that the Must Have kit has been based on the Monogram/Pro-Modeller kit and appears to have carried across some of the flaws in that kit as a result. I had hoped for a completely new tooling but, on balance, I also have to agree with BushBrit66 and say that I am pleased to have acquired the 'newer' kit. The not so heavy panel lines are a big improvement on the Monogram kit and the extensive resin parts, which include both 6 and 8-gun options, and the Master turned brass barrels are all excellent. I dare say this kit will be easier to put together than the Monogram/Cutting Edge/Paragon combo and thats all I am really looking for…..very pleased with this purchase but each to their own. I regrettably misplaced my rose-tinted spectacles some time ago.

Postscript. I also found it mildly amusing that one of the decal options in the Must Have ! kit is also exactly the same as that provided in one of the Monogram-Pro-Modeller releases..the WWII era A-26B with 'Stinky' nose art…..I feel sure that could have come up with something more original……the other two options are far more interesting and I think quite original, IMHO.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to compare the two kits and share what you found. I suppose if I will ever decide to buy another Invader I would go for the Must Have kit. But I will not trade my Monogram kit plus the gathered extras for it. I most likely would have if Must Have did correct the dimensional errors of the Monogram fuselage.

Rene

Thanks for taking the time to compare the two kits and share what you found. I suppose if I will ever decide to buy another Invader I would go for the Must Have kit. But I will not trade my Monogram kit plus the gathered extras for it. I most likely would have if Must Have did correct the dimensional errors of the Monogram fuselage.

Rene

Rene,

Yes…..I tend to agree with you…..if you have the patience to address the sanding of the raised lines and doing some engraving and you are not too bothered about separate flying control surfaces, I would be inclined to stick with what you have, enjoying the challenge of a slightly older kit. I do agree that selling a good base kit (particularly if you have assembled a mass of AM pieces to go with it) to replace it with a very similar kit makes no economic sense. If all you had was the base Monogram/Pro-Modeller kit, then I would be more inclined to invest in the Must Have ! kit, simply because it does offer the complete package all in one box.

Mark

• Like 1