Airfix 1/72 Dambusters Lancaster BI Special

andy s

That's lovely,.....doesn`t the new Airfix Lanc scrub up well? I`m just in the process of building mine as a Tallboy carrier using the Freightdog Models conversion set,...I hope it comes out as nice as yours,

Cheers

Tony O

• Like 1

That's a lovely finish Drew, great to see these built up, especially so well :)

That's lovely,.....doesn`t the new Airfix Lanc scrub up well? I`m just in the process of building mine as a Tallboy carrier using the Freightdog Models conversion set,...I hope it comes out as nice as yours,

Cheers

Tony O

I've got the bits to do the same thing Tony, so looking forwards to seeing some pics of yours mate :)

Nice job Drew. The bombs were delivered in that colour and I believe at least one was dropped as such. Mick Martin's was overpainted very rough black as it fell off its mounting prior to the raid!

Edited by avro683

• 10 months later...

I'm building a Tamiya Dambuster. I've got the Xtradecals set for this one. It calls for the bomb to be painted in Red Oxide. Does anyone jnow if this is correct?

• 7 years later...
On 25/09/2013 at 20:14, Darth Vader said:

Very nice, good to see the correct exhaust stains on top of the wing .

So many good Lancs are ruined by 4 stains instead of the correct 3

Nice job

Interesting point about the exhaust stain number. Something for me to absorb and replicate in my next Lancaster. I'll research this point .. thanks for bringing this to attention! Andy 

Lovely job.  Airfix Dambuster was my first kit when I got into the hobby a few years back.  It was a "Starter Set" version.  Like most boys of my generation I'd built ("hacked" would probably be a better term for it) quite a few kits in the 60s since they were supplied by various relatives at Christmas and birthdays.  The plan was to build just one kit to see if I could do it right rather than toss them together half painted then blow them up with penny bangers in November.  (30-odd builds later I realise that was a hopeless dream).  I had barely any tools, had never heard of decal solutions and used the paints and brush supplied with the kit.  I never tried to improve it as my tool kit expanded and experience taught me tricks of the trade and it still sits in my display cabinet as originally finished (complete with holes where the windows fell in shortly after gluing the fuze halves together!).  One of these days I'll buy another one and see if I can do a better job, maybe pose them side-by-side.

• Like 1