Saab J 35F2 Draken - Hasegawa 1/48

Bjorn

As you might guess from my profile picture, Saab Draken is my favourite subject. Here is my latest build of thus winderful aircraft. My intention was to build the individual that is shown on Roy Cross' magnificent Airfix boxart (a model which I built lots of when I was a child), but doing it in 1/48 and with correct markings.

Airfix%2002039-4%20Draken%20III.JPG

Though very beautiful, this image has a number of mistakes - also apart from the fact that green Swedish robots are blind... And here is the result. I wanted it to look like it did in the early 70s, when it was rather new - which meant not much weathering this time.

DSC_0498_zpsfa602716.jpg

I used the decals from Hasegawa's S 35E Draken and Tarangus' Lansen (the yellow squares), and a few from my decal archive.

DSC_0516_zpsafbb6ef6.jpg

I uses an Aires resin seat - which was a bit troublesome since it didn't fit Hasegawa's cockpit. Strange, since it is sold separately, not only with Aires cockpit set.

DSC_0517_zps17fa52f2.jpg

As you can see, the original had fewer squares than on Cross' boxart. I used Gunze colours.

DSC_0508_zps1c8d01d4.jpg

DSC_0528_zps01731567.jpg

I also added some details on the landing gears.

DSC_0512_zps2563aeee.jpg

And a final, a bit too dark picture:

DSC_0499_zpsbf9dc95a.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Wow! Fantastic! Really brought back memories from my own early modelling days too.

Which Gunze paints did you use for the final finish? The colours certainly look perfect when compared to photos.

Wow! Fantastic! Really brought back memories from my own early modelling days too.

Which Gunze paints did you use for the final finish? The colours certainly look perfect when compared to photos.

Thanks! The Draken colours are difficult to get a perfect match. The blue changed a lot when the aircraft got more weathered, the olive drab also did, but not as much as the blue. Originally it was pretty blue, but after a few years it shifted into lighter fields of more light blue and darker fields that were more black-blue. And later, the blue got almost green. Hasegawa suggests 52 Olive Drab and 55 Midnight blue which in my eyes gives a too brown-black feeling. So I mixed the 52 with some Gunze 309 Olive Green and the 55 with some Gunze 5 Blue. Both colours were mixed with Gunze 338 Light grey for the lighter, slightly weathered areas, but not too much.

On this picture (a Finnish Draken, but painted with the same colours as the Swedish ones), you can clearly see that the blue was rather blue.

saab-draken-fin-af-ok.jpg

If you choose a more weathered Draken, I suggest the same colours, adding more 338 Light grey and changing the 5 Blue into some kind of clear green or turquise. Here is another Draken (but in 1/72) I built a few years ago, trying to get a more weathered look. Also note the remains of the removed yellow squares on the fin, which are painted with the recepie for a new-deliveried Draken that I described above.

DSC_0889.jpg

DSC_0879.jpg

Tack så mycket Björn!

I have just ordered the Hasegawa kit, I will not go crazy with after market stuff as this is just a model that I would like to have to sit alongside the Tarangus Viggen, when it eventually gets released! So thank you for the paint suggestions and again, yours is a great model!

Tack så mycket Björn!

I have just ordered the Hasegawa kit, I will not go crazy with after market stuff as this is just a model that I would like to have to sit alongside the Tarangus Viggen, when it eventually gets released! So thank you for the paint suggestions and again, yours is a great model!

Actually, you don't need much aftermarket details. This is a great kit. The wheel wells are a bit empty, but apart from that you will get a nice model OOB, especially if you build it with closed canopy. A small, but important detail are two black ribs inside the front part of the canopy. Very typical for Draken, and very easy to add. Plus a small pitot tube on the fin. Just add these and noone will notice any difference from the resin- and photo-etch-heavy J 35J Draken on my workbench right now.