Revell 1/144 Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat - Completed

Speedman

Originally released in the 1960s and available (yet again) this year it has been superseded by the fantastic offering from Platz. I'll be building this OOB + filler + sanding + tears + filler + sanding...

2013-09-2419_33_40_zps54db2821.jpg

Edited by Speedman

Wow, something smaller than my offering....ooh err...

Pete

After cleaninig up the main componants, the fuselage went together without much fuss and the wings were trouble free with only a few sink marks to deal with. I've now fitted the wings and I'll apply some filler around the wing roots later tonight.

2013-09-2819_53_0501_zps2d556714.jpg

I spent some time filing down the wing root steps that were on the upper and lower of both wings before I slapped some putty on them last night. I sanded them down this morning and rescribed the wing fold detail. Having finished that I fitted the tailplanes.

2013-09-2916_21_23_zps3792735d.jpg

Tailplanes now filled and sanded. I did a test fit of the canopy today, the small rear windows were a poor fit and different sizes so I've chopped them off and will use Kristal Klear instead. I've opened up the aperture for the windows to better replicate the real aircraft as well. I'm working on all the small bit's now and have got the ventral tank together.

2013-09-3015_30_53_zps982adac0.jpg

I've fitted the ventral tank and made some brace bars/straps to go around it, at the same time I drilled out the gun ports and fitted a few bits of rod. The kit didn't have anything in place at all, no little stumps, not even a set of indents :shrug: Yesterday I got it primed, painted (hairy stick) and a couple of coats of Humbrol Clear on it and this morning I've fitted the canopy.

2013-10-0411_55_13_zpsffe5072b.jpg

Did a little bit of painting last night the join up the two mouth decals as per the real aircraft, as well as painting the undercarriage and prop. Gave it a coat of Humbrol Clear to seal the decals this morning and fitted the last bits, all that's left to do is some weathering and a final matt coat.

2013-10-0514_27_38_zps09e9294d.jpg

2013-10-0514_28_42_zpse870aefe.jpg

I think you've made a cracking job of that!

The Revell Micro-wings aircraft can scrub up well, but they make you work for it. Wouldn't it be nice if Revell redid some of their WWII line up to the standard of their 1/144 jets.

regards,

Martin

Or Airfix. Let Revell handle the modern stuff and Airfix could do from WWII up to the cold war. Whole host of subjects to choose from and with the quality they're turning out they would be on to a winner. They just need to do something about their deep panel lines, it's all too easy to ruin a 1/144 as my Trumpeter Flanker proves with it's panel lines that would make a Matchbox kit jealous :lol: