Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command GB Chat

Thanks, Robert
Among the 109 boxes in my laboratory, I found something interesting and I chose these:

- Bristol Blenheim Mk.IVf 248th Squadron Coastal Command Lincolnshire 1940, 1/72 Airfix kit.
second kit will be:
- Fiat Cr 25 mm3655 173 ^ Sq Palermo Boccadifalco 1942 1/72 Special Hobby kit.

A small note: I was born in Palermo and grew up at Boccadifalco airport in the early 60s

Take a nice day

Ettore

• Like 2

Hello @Ettore,

Yes, they both sound good, and builds with personal links tend to be more interesting - mention your links when you start your build thread.

p.s. I found this about the Cr 25 (translated) https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.assodispade.it/fiat_cr25.html&prev=search

In Italian: http://www.assodispade.it/fiat_cr25.html

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

IMG_3983

IMG_3981

You have a cool stash Pat. Always wanted the RAF Rescue launch, hmm eBay..., anyway, the He-114 is a new one on me - never seen one of those before.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 10:10 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Has anyone got a Contrail Vickers Warwick ?

That would be a fantastic addition to this GB, I've never seen one built !

cheers Pat

Oh, so you need to get yer posterior down to Telford then Pat?! :wicked:

There was one on the RAF Coastal Command stand in hall 3 last year.................:whistle:

Paul

(deputy Coastal Command SIG lead)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Oh, so you need to get yer posterior down to Telford then Pat?! :wicked:

There was one on the RAF Coastal Command stand in hall 3 last year.................:whistle:

Paul

(deputy Coastal Command SIG lead)

Apologies Paul

I am currently standing in the naughty corner and shall remain here until I have your permission to leave and rejoin the group.

Grovelingly Pat 

• Haha 1

He, he, he, wish it'd been mine!

Great finish, even better knowing it's origin.

To add insult to injury the builder was pilot in command,

one tour on Nimrod's and at least two on Herc's.........swine!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello @Robert Stuart ... Quick question if I may ? I am doing the Special Hobby B-18 Bolo for this build. Would it be considered building towards the 25% rule if i were to sand the skin of the airplane down. This is one of the Special hobby kits that have the golf ball/pebbly skin ? I was wanting to prep it so that would be done when i start. 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Robert Stuart ... Quick question if I may ? I am doing the Special Hobby B-18 Bolo for this build. Would it be considered building towards the 25% rule if i were to sand the skin of the airplane down. This is one of the Special hobby kits that have the golf ball/pebbly skin ? I was wanting to prep it so that would be done when i start. 

Dennis 

Hello @Corsairfoxfouruncle,

Your B-18 should be an interesting build.  

I'll trust your judgment on this. I can't see that prep by sanding the skin would contribute to the build, any more than cutting parts from a vacform sheet would be counted in the 25% rule.

OT: Found an interesting review if the kit, here  http://www.olddogsplanes.com/b18.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was planning on doing my B-18A Bolo as an early war Sub-hunter in the Caribbean. The kit is the “Digby” release so I can fall back on the RCAF Scheme as well. However I’m now considering a Pre-war NMF/Alum. dope maritime Reconnaissance aircraft (Same job as Sub hunting, just no weapons strictly observe and report)? Im looking for Photo’s of either scheme ? Ive exhausted Google for what is out there ? I keep finding new sites that just show the same core photos. If anyone has anything to share/point me in a direction please let me know ? 

Dennis

On 10/15/2018 at 6:25 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

Would  be able to include a Cessna O2 from the Chilean Navy?  I have read that one of their roles is to monitor legal/illegal fishing.

John, I am firming up the criteria of the GB, and since the Maritime Patrol side is not restricted to aircraft now, and the definition of MP includes 'Peacetime patrols are important for interdiction of criminal activities and for ensuring legal use of waters.' So I would say yes

On 10/16/2018 at 12:36 AM, BlackAck said:

Would a US Navy Curtis Seahawk observation floatplane be allowed in this group build?  Another intriguing British option for me would be a FAA Seamew.

Another yes since the 'observing' is part of patrolling.

@Robert Stuart , do you concur? I will get an outline to you in the next couple of days and we can sort out a GB rules list.

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

@Robert Stuart , do you concur? I will get an outline to you in the next couple of days and we can sort out a GB rules list.

In general, yes.  I'm still reading your VERY thorough rules.*

My instinct is to reject ship bourne aircraft (thus the FAA Seamew), but I need to reread your suggested rules.

*Ray has sent me some suggested rules by PM.  They look good, but I've only skim read them ATM.

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

In general, yes.  I'm still reading your VERY thorough rules.*

My instinct is to reject ship bourne aircraft (thus the FAA Seamew), but I need to reread your suggested rules.

*Ray has sent me some suggested rules by PM.  They look good, but I've only skim read them ATM.

I would personally caution against rejecting ship-borne aircraft as that seems rather limiting and potentially confusing when some types were operated from both ships and shore bases.

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Perhaps worth remembering that the Seamew was also intended to be operated by the RAF, and at least one prototype did fly in RAF colours.

9 hours ago, Col. said:

I would personally caution against rejecting ship-borne aircraft as that seems rather limiting and potentially confusing when some types were operated from both ships and shore bases.

Thanks, Graham and Col. and @Romeo Alpha Yankee

One purpose of this forum is for moderators to listen to community opinion, and to adapt their thinking.

So ... Ok, yes to shipborne aircraft.

This does mean that some of my earlier decisions will have to be reversed, to allow previously vetoed models into the build.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marlin said:

Hi.

I'm thinking of joining this GB.
Would a SweAF A32A Lansen armed with two Rb04 anti-shipping missile be within the rules to enter?
A32A_fran_F7_700p.jpg

/Bosse

Dunno but it looks cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Marlin said:

Hi.

I'm thinking of joining this GB.
Would a SweAF A32A Lansen armed with two Rb04 anti-shipping missile be within the rules to enter?

/Bosse

Looks good,  It's not obvious in this shot, but the Wikipedia images of this aircraft look (sort of) like a Hunter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_32_Lansen

With that missile, I think the aircraft would be eminently suited to this group build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1