Hobbyboss 1/48 F4U-4 Corsair (Late)

Hi all,

Enjoyed this one immensely. Kit builds great, and looks great too.

I tried out oil dot fading for the first time on this one. I was really happy with the way it came out. Unfortunately the flash on my camera has washed out most of the subtle fading of the finish, leaving the darker stains and more pronounced fading visible. Trust me, in this case this one looks better with the naked eye.

The airframe modelled is BuNo 96845, of VMF-323. This aircraft briefly participated in VMF-323's second carrier deployment of the Korean War, when the unit embarked in USS Sicily from 5th June to 20th September 1951. However this airframe was badly damaged in a landing incident aboard Sicily on the 8th June. In theatre all of 3 days!!
So my weathering is probably much much heavier than this airframe actually saw, but I wanted to go to town somewhat.

2013-09-20150153.jpg

2013-09-20150201.jpg

2013-09-20150249.jpg

2013-09-20150424.jpg

2013-09-20150441.jpg

2013-09-20160453.jpg

2013-09-23155225.jpg

2013-09-23155315.jpg

2013-09-23155325.jpg

2013-09-23155408.jpg

2013-09-23155525.jpg

2013-09-23155636.jpg

2013-09-23155648.jpg

2013-09-23155702.jpg

2013-09-23155734.jpg

So in summary. I am really happy with the way this one came out. Its by far my best weathering effects achieved so far. The oil dot fading was not at all hard to do, just time consuming. I will definitely by using this technique in future.

I still tend to rush at the end of a build. This was the case with this one too. So there are still things to improve on, a hell of a lot in my opinion. Please also point out anything that you think i could do differently.

Thanks all,

Stuart

• Like 3

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

very nice. love the silver effect on the panel lines/rivets. is that done with a wash ???

Its just a pale grey wash, but I agree it does look a little silver in places, and blends with my chipping. I think the tone of the wash was also somewhat altered by the dot filtering in places adding even more variety.

Spot on mate, the weathering looks really nicely done and in scale, something i find really difficult to do. The exhaust staining up the side looks great as well.

I take it that its not a trick of the camera but it looks like you have managed to get some areas to show wear through to zinc chromate primer, how did you do this?

Cheers, Stu

Spot on mate, the weathering looks really nicely done and in scale, something i find really difficult to do. The exhaust staining up the side looks great as well.

I take it that its not a trick of the camera but it looks like you have managed to get some areas to show wear through to zinc chromate primer, how did you do this?

Cheers, Stu

Thanks Stu,

There are some areas where the oil fading with some yellow ocher over the navy blue has caused a slight green tone, but I didnt do any primer chipping. It maybe a lucky result with the oil fading changing the colouration of local chipping around panel lines etc. Sorry to say that was'nt intentional.

Hi there,

I like it. I was under the impression that the late kit by Hobby Boss had an issue with only including the clipped wing in the kit. Did yours have the regualr wing?

Great job

Brad

Hi there,

I like it. I was under the impression that the late kit by Hobby Boss had an issue with only including the clipped wing in the kit. Did yours have the regualr wing?

Great job

Brad

Hi Brad.

Yeah the kit only comes with the clipped wing. I solved this by glueing some strips of platicard onto the tips and then sanding to shape. The easier thing to do however would be to contact hobbyboss. I understand they accept that the wings as supplied are wrong and will supply a replacement sprue. I only found this out after already using my fix.