Heller Potez 63-II

Vesa Jussila

I haven't checked dimensions on it, but it is a very fine kit, which nicely captures the overlapping panels of the real thing.

One thing that does bother me are the transparencies, which are too thick, which shows in the rear machinegun nest

It was part of a series which Heller called the museum series, a series of French aeroplanes from the late 1930s and WW II. They were quite nice kits, better than the average at that time. I made the Potez (and a lot more) more than thirty years ago and had no troubles.

NPL

Some of the old French subjects by Heller are very good but others are ugly - I'm talking about dimensions and accuracy. I don't know where the Potez fits, but I think I have somewhere scale drawings that I can scan if you wish.

Carlos

Hi,

If we are speaking about the 63-11 ( and not the 630/ 631 ) here is few decal sets you should be interrested in :

72143-02.jpg

Techmod_Potez_63-11_BA.jpg

72145-02.jpg

Not too bad with english livery.....

potez-63-11-1-48-decalques-avions-techmo

A nice kit but with a little bit short fuselage.( 4mm at the tail ) and some shape accuracy issues with windows.

Some extra details and you will have a very nice build.

It was the plane flown by St Exupery at the beginning of the war...

A nice build here : http://fighters.forumactif.com/t32462-potez-63-11-a-3-heller-1-72

Nice tech drawings here : http://lapatrouillesimple.forumgratuit.org/t491-potez-63-11

cheers

Olivier

e9ef_310.jpg

888d_110.jpg

Edited by JOAN

At first sight the drawings in the link sent by Oliver are much better than those in Air Magazine. I could locate at least one serious error that affects the whole apparency of the aircraft. I'll scan them anyway.

Carlos

Some of the old French subjects by Heller are very good but others are ugly - I'm talking about dimensions and accuracy. I don't know where the Potez fits, but I think I have somewhere scale drawings that I can scan if you wish.

Carlos

I agree, but not because they are bad, but just because they are uggly. E.g., the Amiot.

NPL with a smile

I agree, but not because they are bad, but just because they are uggly. E.g., the Amiot.

NPL with a smile

Well, I can find some beauty on those French pre-war subjects...

Some kits are really bad, actually. The Morane 225, for instance, has a completely wrong fuselage and needs severe surgery to fix it. Unfortunately it's the only game in town. In the Mureaux the main problem lies in the wing, if I remember well.

Falcon vacform canopy set No.26 (from Hannants at 12:99) has a Potez 63-11 canopy set on the sheet, which should take away the problem of over-thick transparencies for those brave enough to try.

• Like 1

A nice kit but with a little bit short fuselage.( 4mm at the tail ) and some shape accuracy issues with windows.

Some extra details and you will have a very nice build.

Hello,

Length potez 63-11 is 10,800m(horizontal) or 10,560m (on the ground)

63-11 is shorter than 630/631 (length 11,070m)....

the length of Potez Heller is correct with 150mm for 10,800m

Cordially

BS_w

Edited by BS_w

Hello,

Length potez 63-11 is 10,800m(horizontal) or 10,560m (on the ground)

63-11 is shorter than 630/631 (length 11,070m)....

the length of Potez Heller is correct with 150mm for 10,800m

Cordially

BS_w

Hello, you are certainly right.

Compare to Air Magazine n° 19 the wingspan seems to be a 6 mm longer than reality.

just found the Zdenek Sebesta's wonderful build :

air43.jpg

cheers

Olivier

Edited by JOAN

Compare to Air Magazine n° 19 the wingspan seems to be a 6 mm longer than reality.

span real a/c 16,00m(15,946), Heller's model 224mm for 222,2mm.

The biggest defect is the nose too masssive, common at all models Po 63-11..... :weep:

Edited by BS_w

span real a/c 16,00m(15,946), Heller's model 224mm for 222,2mm.

The biggest defect is the nose too masssive, common at all models Po 63-11..... :weep:

Not the current subject but do you have any comments about the 630 Azur in 1/48 ?

O.

any comments about the 630 Azur in 1/48 ?

I haven't the Po 630, but I've the Po 63-11. The wing is same for the Potez 63 family as every Azur models.

The wing of Azur model has a good size and proportion. There is only the dihedral which too flat (3°20' in place 5°30' - measuring on the topside of front spar )