1/72 - Lockheed P-38D/H, F.4/F.5 Lightning by RS Models - released - new boxings

Homebee

The resolution is a bit low on that picture but it does refer to Saint-Exupéry so I suppose that is indeed his aircraft. And a very nice scheme it is too. I'd get the kit just for that but I'm currently building the F version of this kit and it is not a walk in the park. Bad fit all around. A lot of filling and sanding to get a halfway decent finish.

21 hours ago, sroubos said:

The resolution is a bit low on that picture but it does refer to Saint-Exupéry so I suppose that is indeed his aircraft. And a very nice scheme it is too. I'd get the kit just for that but I'm currently building the F version of this kit and it is not a walk in the park. Bad fit all around. A lot of filling and sanding to get a halfway decent finish.

Good morning

I think it is a pity that aircraft such as the P38 , P 39 , H75 etc ... aren't properly represented in 1/72 due to poor quality moulds   I would prefer that companies like RS ,AZmodel ... invest in good moulds and release fewer kits rather than producing so many kits with poor moulding wich results in difficulties in building them ...

Patrice

• Like 1

I have built a number of AZ kits, both older toolings and their more modern work and to be honest I find them quite decent in terms of both fit and detail. They are still short run and they do require a bit of filler here an there, but nothing major.

The P-38F is my first RS kit and it is really quite a hard kit to put together. The fit of the cowling parts for instance is only approximate and will require filling, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, scribing, filling, sanding and priming to get right. Dry-fitting the fuselage, wings and tail booms does not instill much confidence and has led me to believe it will me much the same for the rest of the kit. The wheel bays, well let's just say it's a good thing they are on the underside of the plane. 

To be fair I don't mind so much - I'd rather have these kit available and choose not to build them rather than not having the choice at all.

Edited by sroubos

• 2 years later...

Two new boxing announced - more details soon

- ref. 92249 - Lockheed P-38H Lightning

Sources:  

http://rsmodels.cz/cs/modely-letadel/plastikove-modely/1-72/92249/p-38-h-lightning

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RSMI92249

RSMI92249.jpg

RSMI92249-1.jpg

- ref. 92254 - Lockheed F-4/F-4A Lightning

Sources: 

http://rsmodels.cz/cs/modely-letadel/plastikove-modely/1-72/92254/f-4-f-4a-lightning

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RSMI92254

RSMI92254.jpg

RSMI92254-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

17 minutes ago, Borisz said:

Are these kits better than the academy ones?

Not really but the RS kits are also different aka early versions with the smaller engine chins while the Academy is a later version with more dominant lower cowl cooler intakes.

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed P-38D/H, F.4/F.5 Lightning by RS Models - released - new F-5A & P-38G boxings
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed P-38D/H, F.4/F.5 Lightning by RS Models - released - new boxings

Good afternoon 

I would like to know if these kits are really new tools or if they are rebox of the Academy kit with new decals and some new parts for the recce versions ? 

Patrice   

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I would like to know if these kits are really new tools or if they are rebox of the Academy kit with new decals and some new parts for the recce versions ? 

KFS Miniatures wrote earlier that they are Academy kits. 

6 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

The RS Models P-38s have no connection to the Academy ones and a search on KFS Miniatures does not bring up any mention of them even reviewing the RS releases.

So until 'TheKinksFan' gives a direct link to where KFS said that I do not believe him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

This would be a surprise though is perhaps possible with some new parts. Apart from being a different version of the aircraft, with different engine and cooling arrangements, the earlier RS P-38 kit range does not resemble the Academy kit at all.

Edited by Work In Progress

33 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

This would be a surprise though is perhaps possible with some new parts. Apart from being a different version of the aircraft, with different engine and cooling arrangements, the earlier RS P-38 kit range does not resemble the Academy kit at all.

I don't see why it has to resemble the earlier RS kits, sounds like they are based on the Academy kit and have nothing to do with the other RS P-38's.

26 minutes ago, JFM148 said:

Thanks for the link

👍 I hope you are doing well Juan. 

20 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I don't see why it has to resemble the earlier RS kits, sounds like they are based on the Academy kit and have nothing to do with the other RS P-38's

I don't see either why it would be a surprise that they are based on Academy. And RS doesn't need to have a "connection" with Academy, Academy has already sold the same plastic to Italeri and MPM. 

KFS is a knowledgeable source, and I would trust what he wrote. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I don't see why it has to resemble the earlier RS kits, sounds like they are based on the Academy kit and have nothing to do with the other RS P-38's.

Maybe it is just Academy plastic with new parts and details. As I said, it's possible. But it's unusual for a kitmaker to jettison its own fairly recent tooling and margins in favour of buying in bagged shots of a rival product from somewhere else. It's pretty much an admission of defeat, if that's what they've done

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1