Perseverance the Percival Proctor IV Trainer Frog / Novo

JOCKNEY

Evening all

Construction and painting has finally started. The painting of the interior really brought out the moulding sink marks. These thankfully won't be seen when it's all buttoned up. Really pleased with h

ow the wings fitted together .

The crew members have been returned to the paint shop as they were shocking and looked like I had painted them in the dark :doh:

Sorry for the quality of the photos

IMG_4764

IMG_4763

• 2 weeks later...

How goes everything Pat?

Pete

Hi Pete

Bit of a delay with progress, just domestic matters thankfully SWMBO seems to think 4 kids a full time job and building a house extension and a new puppy, should come before the Proctor, and no amount of sensible reasoning on my part seems to have an effect :shrug:

In the all too few moment of peace and quiet or what passes for it in this mad house I have painted the crew and put the fuselage together and added the wings. I shall post some pics when I can wrestle the iPad of one the kids for 5 mins.

Really love your build, so much nicer than the boring green & Brown or silver of most aircraft.

I will PM you about rigging as keen to learn from the master so no pressure eh ! :wicked:

No problem Pat - I picked my knowledge from the interweb!

A new puppy....that will have fun with little plastic things!

:yikes:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Simon

No I am sorry to say domestic matters are conspiring against me. My life is like a sitcom at the moment. Since last posting, my mum has come to stay as the sore ankle we have been encouraging her to get looked at turned out to be a ruptured Achilles' tendon, so she has a leg in a plaster cast. This means having to make up a bedroom downstairs, moving kids around so that everyone's clothes are in a different room to the one you are sleeping in. This has the effect of most people getting dressed on the landing in the morning !

Then yesterday the builders demolished the kitchen so we have a temporary sink and draining board along with a washing machine all plumbed in, in the living room which is an unusual feature not yet seen on "Grand Designs"

I am concerned that me sitting down to cosy up to the Proctor could result in my leaving this mortal coil and being hidden in the rubble that used to be our kitchen by the builders.

I might take the Proctor to work to do at lunchtime, not ideal but better than not finishing.

Right that my long and sad excuse, what's yours

: )

Cheers Pat

Blimey, all go then mate!

Well my excuse, nothing very dramatic - we own and rent another house in norwich, tenant moved out, new one moving in and place needed lots of work and decorating from top to bottom - so Javelin has been collecting dust i'm afraid (I have done some fiddling on a wessex i'd already started). New tenant is in now so pressure off!

Good luck with the kitchen and hope Ma Jockney recovers soon!

cheers

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all

After a long absence progress at last, kids watching the telly, other half writing a paper for uni, 5 minutes to myself !

IMG_4765

IMG_4766

The interior is finished all parts except canopy added, need to dip the clear parts as they are very crazed.

Just starting to paint the yellow underneath, I know you warned me but aaarrrrrggghh ! I would put a photo up but I'm worried about putting people off their tea.

Great to be back

I am really looking forward to seeing this one done. Its such a pretty little plane and I love the look of its "face" or nose if you like. It looks like its almost quietly please with itself and having a good whistle of a well loved tune.

I love aircraft with character like this. I wonder if there are any larger scale models of this one,.

• Like 1

Thanks for the inspiration Rodders

Rob, I know just what you mean, although hopefully mine will cheers up when it's confident I will finish it and it isn't destined for the shelf of doom ! I don't think there are larger ones available but happy to be proved wrong.

Adrian, I have been toying with the idea of a small roller to apply the paint in sufficient quantities if all else fails

Cheers Pat

The Proctor IV came in two versions. As a Radio Trainer with three seats and as a Comms a/c with 4 seats. On the radio trainer the 1154-1155 Radio was located along side the pilot with the operator sitting behind to the right and a passenger/Observer stting behind the pilot to the left.

John

• Like 1

Thanks John

Looks like Frog / Novo had their own ideas, this is a 3 seater two in front, one in the back on the right as you look from the front of the aircraft. The interior is spartan to say the least, I should have saved this for the trainer GB assuming it gets the vote.

• 2 weeks later...

Very aware the closing date is rapidly approaching so needed to get my finger out.

As this build is being done old school, it's hairy stick and minimum masking, with the exception of the canopy, my hand and eye coordination ain't what it used to be, so didn't want to c*ck it up completely.

Bit of minor filling and paint work to do then decals, might still make the deadline after all !

IMG_4767

IMG_4768

IMG_4771

IMG_4772

Even managed to get the yellow on !

Thanks for the support

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Looking good Jockney It's A lovely looking little thing.

I too need to pull my finger out regarding the Jaguar and Harrier that I was steaming ahead with. Until I got distracted with the Spitfire and posting photos of my new Vulcan and Harrier in RFI. As you say the day of reckoning draws ever near.... I was really hoping this GB would get an extension into the new year. I am enjoying it so much but with everything else I have to do I am not getting to indulge in it as much as I would like.

Hope to see you at the finish line soon.

Cheers Rob

;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well it's complete, not as tidy as I would like but determined to meet the deadline so pictures attached

IMG_4781

IMG_4780

IMG_4779

IMG_4782

IMG_4783

I have really enjoyed building this, for those of you that warned me the novo decals would disintegrate I didn't believe you...

I was a wally, they literally desolved when I tried them, so what you see on Perseverance is a mixture from the parts department. I'm also really rusty when it came to the canopy framing, despite masking its not a pretty sight close up. Apart from that I'm pleased, would have been nice to dirty it up and do some panel line work but the dreaded Christmas shopping this weekend has stopped any thought of that.

Let me have your thoughts, please be gentle !

Cheers Pat

Nice finish on an old kit. Like you, I have enjoyed building a kit that is not a cutting edge one and shows that sometimes it is more satisfying to build and finish an old (or cheap) kit that may be left on the side otherwise.

• Like 1

Not seen one of these models, either in kit for or finished, until you started this thread so glad you were able to complete it. What a lovely looking machine.

• Like 1

Good job Pat! More perseverance than I have!!

Pete