RAF jet fest. Part 1 - Lightning vs Starfighter.

RMP2

Got the fella in, along with his arms... interesting do having to stick his arms in once he was seated, but managed not to drop them into the cockpit.

Also realised that Airfix thought it a goot idea to have a solid, non transparent HUD so bodged up something from some packaging - my first every bit of scratch build! woo. Its not quite right, but its better than the box offering that would have obscured his vision completely.

P1020234%20Medium.jpg

P1020235%20Medium.jpg

P1020237%20Medium.jpg

P1020239%20Medium.jpg

P1020240%20Medium.jpg

The acquisition rounds and tiny aerial bits, intakes etc should be on later and thatll mean... drum roll please... itll be finished and just needs mounting, as in posing in a flying attitude, not yknow... mounting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be?

P1020269%20Medium.jpg

P1020271%20Medium.jpg

Not too sure about these, but theyre on, well, the stb one just fell off as I was typing... but theyll do unless I get swung otherwise - I have spare decals for the slinging points afterall...

P1020279%20Medium.jpg

Phantom is mighty close too, so its time to drag the 104 back out for finishing off.

• Like 3

Ah, theres something missing off the tail fin. And theres some aerials I forgot to fit too... so no, it isnt finished at all. Doh.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some more 104 lovin.

P1020340%20Medium.jpg

Resin parts are another first for me. Removing from the "sprue" looks, erm, interesting. Whats the weapon of choice for removal? Nice new blade in the GP knife or something else?

• Like 1

Ive made a decision. Its a rare thing and always a little flimsy. However, this here 104 is going to have nothing more than a couple of AIM-9 acquisition rounds on its wing tips thanks to that Eduard resin stuff. Thats it. Bare bones and sexy 104.

Yep, I know, its not quite right regards what would have been the payload on such an exercise, but hey, it looks cool and its only fair seeing as the lightning isnt sporting any tanks.

Wine has happened, so youll have to wait for sexy 104 pics. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Offered up the wingtip rails after trimming the wings down 2.5mm as per the destructions. Found that I hadnt actually glued the wings on, testimony to their fit I think!

P1020402%20Medium.jpg

My very first ever resin bits. Woo. Its spurred me on a little.

• Like 2

The above pic is of the wrong AIM-9s (I think) the correct ones are masked, and french blued, currently drying in the first gloss finish Ive managed from the airbrush when I really didnt want them too shiny. Not to worry, will sort that later.

Tip rails are green now, waiting to go on, and... why didnt I realise earlier that theyre almost identical to the JADF catermeran rails that came with the kit..? Silly boy needs to open his eyes and think a bit more. Tut.

P1020404%20Medium.jpg

P1020405%20Medium.jpg

Finally getting close to using some of these up!

P1020403%20Medium.jpg

I am intrigued. ..don't usually follow WIP..but boy I want to see this take shape

You and me both, time isnt easy to find. But, Im determined to have the 104 finished this weekend or at least ready for decals.

I was using this as my missile colour reference, I dont think theyve come out a million miles off. Tip pylons are on, wings are back on, all demasked after nose colour repairs (and new mistake...). Pitot tube masking tried to kill my man flu eyeballs, fingers crossed it looks ok when I peel that off.

D-6656_F-104G_323Sqn.jpg

P1020411%20Medium.jpg

P1020409%20Medium.jpg

P1020408%20Medium.jpg

P1020406%20Medium.jpg

P1020407%20Medium.jpg

P1020410%20Medium.jpg

Victim wants his windows washed and a few touch ups here n there.

Overall its sort of ok. Its not as nice as the RAF stuff of late - the paint is a bit heavy and more care could have gone into the fit of things like the canopy and nose. But it could be worse and I could also do some post shading stuff if Im still sulking later. We will see.

• Like 1

It be glossed.

P1020414%20Medium.jpg

It be dry.

P1020416%20Medium.jpg

It be time...

P1020415%20Medium.jpg

It be Dutch.

P1020417%20Medium.jpg

Decals arent the thinnest and are a little "hard" and not wanting to comform, literally. Lots of Microstuff and a firm pressures damp kitchen towel seems to be working so far.

Ive a spare bottle of Pinot if it gets a bit fighty.

• Like 1

2:30AM finish point. Damn things trying to kill me. So cant wait for tomorrows stencilling and deciding on "big number" decals for the individual aircraft markings....

Odd how some decals have tried to silver but others havent from the same sheet and the gloss is pretty damn even all over. Meh.

P1020418%20Medium.jpg

P1020419%20Medium.jpg

P1020420%20Medium.jpg

Bedtime.

• Like 1

P1020422%20Medium.jpg

Couldnt resist.... far more fun and NEEEEEOOOWWWMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL noises than I have any right to be engaged in at my age. :)

P1020432%20Medium.jpg

P1020430%20Medium.jpg

P1020428%20Medium.jpg

P1020433%20Medium.jpg

Final touches to do this afternoon and then its done and I guess its time to start on the diorama thingy.

• Like 1