1/72nd Tempest Mk.V, 56 Sqn, BAFO 1945-46

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Another one off the production line, this is my first (but not last) Academy 1/72nd Tempest Mk.V wearing the immediate Post War markings of 56 Sqn which reapplied its famous Phoenix and red and white chequerboard markings to the fin;

Tempest1_zpse90b71cb.jpg

Tempest2_zpsfa84c514.jpg

Tempest4_zps987142f7.jpg

Tempest3_zps8b29a70f.jpg

Tempest5_zpsbb7eca3f.jpg

Tempest6_zps670c5532.jpg

I hope that you like it,

All the best

Tony O

ps- This model has an incorrect propeller and spinner, which seems to have been included in the second hand kit from a Hobbyboss Typhoon kit, hence the large cut outs in the spinner. Here s an updated photo using a better prop and spinner taken from a Bren Gun Typhoon kit;

DSCF8405_zpsca841b7f.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

Hi Tony I really like this kit and you have made a fantastic job of it, love the weathering!!

Heres mine as a comparison hope you like it.

Ive used decals from Freightdog.

Regards Steve hope you dont think im nickin your post!!spits015.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Lads,

Very nice 3 Sqn Tempest there Steve (just check your windscreen though, it looks upside down?), thanks for sharing it with us and I know what you mean about those cut outs in the spinner Jon,......whats all that about? I may have a dig around my spares box as I think I`ve got a spare Tiffy 4 bladed prop from a Brengun kit? Glad you like the weathering Joachim,

All the best

Tony O

PS- I`ve just checked another Academy Tempest kit and the spinner is fine in that one,......however this one may have been bought from a second hand pile so that is probably why an incorrect spinner crept into the kit!

PPS- Having checked a few kits out the prop and spinner used on this model came from a Hobbyboss Typhoon so whoever sold it to me 2nd hand at a show,........Shame on You!!! I hope that you feel really guilty now!!

Edited by tonyot

As the model had an incorrect spinner and propeller from a Hobbyboss Typhoon which had been put inside the box by the person who I bought this 2nd hand kit from, a spare 4 blader from a Bren Gun Typhoon kit has now been attached instead which looks a bit better and here it is;

DSCF8405_zpsca841b7f.jpg

Cheers

Tony O

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I drooled on my keyboard while reading this post, wow they both look absolutely fantastic. I adore the Tempest & Typhoon and always will. Hell, hence my username lol

Building the Academy Typoon myself atm for which I've brought the new Barracuda resin wheels and Model Master metal gun barrels (Polish company).

Did the tempest have any ugly sink marks on the landing gear or gear doors? I used some foil from a wine bottle to cover the sink marks on the Typhoons gear doors. Nifty little trick and works well.

Regards from New Zealand

Brad

I drooled on my keyboard while reading this post, wow they both look absolutely fantastic. I adore the Tempest & Typhoon and always will. Hell, hence my username lol

Building the Academy Typoon myself atm for which I've brought the new Barracuda resin wheels and Model Master metal gun barrels (Polish company).

Did the tempest have any ugly sink marks on the landing gear or gear doors? I used some foil from a wine bottle to cover the sink marks on the Typhoons gear doors. Nifty little trick and works well.

Regards from New Zealand

Brad

Cheers Brad (and everyone else too)

Glad you like my Tempest and Steve`s is pretty nifty too isn`t it?

Good trick with the wine bottle foil, I`ll remember that one as it will come in handy. Sorry but I cannot remember whether the model had any sink marks on the door parts or not.

Cheers

Tony