1/72nd Scale Malta Spit- Mk.Vb 249 Sqn, Takali 1942

tonyot

Hello Folks,

I`ve been trundling along with the assembly line at home and the latest batch of models are just coming to fruition, the first of which is this 1/72nd scale Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb finished as one of 249 Sqn`s earliest Spitfires circa March-April 1942. The desert colour scheme was modified by applying Extra Dark Sea Grey over the Middle Stone while the Dark Earth and Sky Blue were retained. The unit applied the unit codes in white and this was also used to re apply the serial. Anyway here is the model, the canopy hood was replaced by a vacuformed item but the cannons are pieces of sprue as the kit ones snapped off;

MaltaSpit1_zpsc1ebefc9.jpg

MaltaSpit2_zpsdac79ff5.jpg

MaltaSpitfire4_zpsa375d620.jpg

MaltaSpit3_zps313df682.jpg

MaltaSpitfire5_zpsf5254df1.jpg

MaltaSpitfire6_zps2850c9f7.jpg

I chose the individual code `E' as this was applied to the wheel of the starter trolley alongside the real aircraft in reference photos, although I believe that `H' has also been associated with this aircraft,

Whatever the case I hope you like it,

Cheers

Tony O

• Like 9

Very nice Spit and extra kudos for the crowbar colour! ;-)

Somehow, I found the silver 'scuffing' more convincing on your beautiful Tempest and the cannons look just a teeny bit, er… home made.

Very good overall impression, though, and the vacformed canopy works wonders.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks lads,

Glad you like it and I totally agree about the cannons Joachim, my bodge job really shows up in the photos so I`d better have a rethink and raid the spares box for some more convincing items. This model had been sitting on the shelf of doom for months and following the loss of the original cannons (which are so fragile and were lost to the carpet monster months ago during the sanding process) it also lost a set of replacements before these final sections of plastic rod were stuck on at the last minute and attaching them finally made me realise that I need to wear glasses as I had double vision trying to focus on them,......middle age has caught up with me I think?

All the best

Tony O

That is a superb job Tony, a 1/72 Spitfire that I haven't tried yet. Done the Mk.1.

Just a thought & involves money I know, but your incident reminded me of the barrels on my Revell MkV which I replaced with those brass Master ones. I do think they make a difference. I built the Italeri kit in Malta markings, never again compared to others like Tamiya or Revell.

Lovely weathering!

Martin

Nice one Tony.. as you know, I always have a soft spot for Malta Spits.... Well Matla Air War anything really!!

So when's the new book coming out? I think I saw an image of the cover whilst doing some random googling the other day.

Cheers.. Dave

Nice one Tony.. as you know, I always have a soft spot for Malta Spits.... Well Matla Air War anything really!!

So when's the new book coming out? I think I saw an image of the cover whilst doing some random googling the other day.

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Dave,

The new book is called `No Place For Beginners' from Dalrymple and Verdun and it has been written and designed so is just awaiting the printers. We were hoping for a September release ready for the IPMS Nationals but for some reason it has not surfaced yet,........I`ve not been told anything else!

The book cover which may still be on Amazon is my first attempt at getting a book published which I was forced to pull at an early stage but a mock up cover design was released for some reason.

Cheers

Tony O

PS- Cheers John and Martin- I may price up some Master Brass cannons and fit these instead, I definitely need to do something!

Edited by tonyot

Thanks again fellas,

Steve- For this one I used an old bottle of Aeromaster acrylic `Finland Light Blue' which I`m quite happy with but I`ve tried various Humbrol enamels in the past too,..just trial and error.

T-bolt- I didn`t have a vacuformed canopy to fit the windscreen contours of the Tamiya kit and as the kit item seems to represent the later internally armoured type windscreen quite well I just stuck with that one.

Cheers

Tony O