Smer Walrus

Jessica

Progress! The Walrus has a heavy frame just forward of the cockpit which the instrument panel lives on, among other things. I created mine out of plastic card.

First, take the profile of the inside using a contour gauge

walrus_10.jpg

Transfer it to a piece of paper, fold in half and cut out the interior shape

walrus_11.jpg

Glue the cut out shape to plastic card, then cut it out

walrus_12.jpg

The frame has to be hollow, so scribe evenly around the perimeter using a nice sharp pair of dividers

walrus_13.jpg

Drill the corners, punch a big hole in the middle then play connect the dots with your razor knife

walrus_14.jpg

Bend and snap

walrus_15.jpg

Et voilà!

Viola_d%27amore.jpg

No, No, No! You've got it all wrong. Let's try that again

Et voilà! A nice hollow frame!

walrus_16.jpg

Now make it fit in place around the rest of the cockpit parts, and into the other half of the fuselage. A certain amount of strong language may be necessary

walrus_17.jpg

It ain't easy, spraying green...

walrus_18.jpg

I'm going to need another coat in there, plus a bunch of dark washes to dirty it up and make it look used.

• Like 1

Superb, do you not sleep?

So nothing to do with the taste for blood and lack of reflection? :whistle:

Aargh, just spat my biscuit all over screen - while missus is watching someone have his hand sewn back on on TV!!

:shutup:

Pete

Now for a bit of detail to go into the otherwise empty cockpit. How do you throttle a Walrus? Well first you punch something out. In this case, three discs

walrus_19.jpg

Then cut a notch in the middle one

walrus_20.jpg

Build a disc sandwich and glue in a spare bit of photo etch lever

walrus_21.jpg

Trim it to a quadrant shape and do the Rolling Stones thing

walrus_22.jpg

Very neat and tiny. An interesting method of producing the throttle control as well, sure a few of us have taken note for our own future use.

walrus_20.jpg

I thought you were making Pacman... :whistle: Really nice build so far, I love the detail that's going into this one and it's great to see the Waldron P&D set in action. OK, they're expensive but once you've got them you find more and more uses for them.

I've done enough work inside because even this much won't be seen under that coke-bottle canopy.

walrus_26.jpg

Looking over the pilot's shoulder

walrus_27.jpg

And back at his seat

walrus_28.jpg

Now we close up the fuselage

walrus_29.jpg

The nose needs a bit of help to stay together until the glue sets. The rest of the fit was actually quite good.

walrus_30.jpg

One last peek into the cockpit

walrus_31.jpg

• Like 2

I have some detail pic's I took at the Fleet Air Arm museum showing the engine and rigging around that area. PM me if you are interested.

Ps.................... looking good !!

Edited by jenko

Just caught up with this build, seriously cool, fair play to you for taking this on, it would scare the bejeezus out of me,

Sean