VULCAN XL426 VDF 1983

robvulcan

Hi robvulcan,

A very enjoyable build thread and an aircraft that I'm very much looking forward to seeing finished. I have two 1/72 kit restorations to do, which will result in XM655 as preserved and XM607 in red flag wraparound. With the excellent info from this thread I may be tempted to do XL426 as well or XH558 as a K.2 :)

Thanks mate glad your enjoying it. I have many Vulcan WIP Threads on the go at the moment. You have good taste in airframes. I have done XM655 too she is my local Vulcan and I always go and see her at Wings and Wheels. Always great hearing the 301 engines ROAR.

The K2 XH558 does look good and it would be refreshing to see that. as would the Red FLag Vulcan.

XL426 is a great airframe to model. Also special as she was the first VDF bird and she gave some amazing Displays. Some great footage of her on youtube I only wish I could have been there.

Looking lovely Rob!

John

Cheers John :)

Brilliant Rob, great job on the on the camouflage. I can't see any discrepancies, so a blind man on a galloping horse is definitely going to be hard pressed.

Cheers John I am too picky. Its always the way your eyeballing it for hours and looking at it close and all you see is flaws. Then a few months after they are done you look at the whole lot and think cool I like that.

Hope your well mate not seen you on here much recently.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Cheers John I am too picky. Its always the way your eyeballing it for hours and looking at it close and all you see is flaws. Then a few months after they are done you look at the whole lot and think cool I like that.

Hope your well mate not seen you on here much recently.

Cheers Rob ;)

Yes, I am fine buddy. It's been a bit hectic since my wife finished school for Easter, we have had a new kitchen fitted so now I have more room to burn the toast. :D I have also been trying to complete my MiG-21's in-between moving stuff back in. I have kept checking in on both yours and John's and progress but little else really.

• Like 1

Yes, I am fine buddy. It's been a bit hectic since my wife finished school for Easter, we have had a new kitchen fitted so now I have more room to burn the toast. :D I have also been trying to complete my MiG-21's in-between moving stuff back in. I have kept checking in on both yours and John's and progress but little else really.

Thats good to know and Oh yea I remember you saying about your kitchen now.

I like your MIG-21 I also come across your nice 1/144th Hunter the other day nice job on that one. I was looking up trying to find a build for the Welsh Models Vac form Hunter T7 I just bought. But I can't find nothing on it so I guess its quite rare.

Cheers Rob :)

Update time...

After a Hard Disk fail on my laptop I have been away but I have been doing alot of modelling inbetwean sorting it out. I have potentially lost lots of info but my lap top

now works and I am back (likely much to the annoyance of some lol)

Right then.

I do not know if you can see this as its very subtle but the rear inner control surfaces have been painted with Revell Aqua Yellowish Olive to represent repainted area as it was on the photos I have. This looks a very good colour for RAF green when A bit faded and the the main colour Revell Aqua Nato Olive to represent very heavy fading.

Also the Radar Panels on the top are 3 different colours to try and replicate again from the photos the colours. Starting with the circle in tan, the spine in hemp and the tail fin p shape one in yellowish olive.

6FD53EFB-0F7D-42CD-9D16-8596818559DB-105

1508A013-0C34-4846-ACB5-7553109DB5FF-105

FF84070C-058F-4AA2-81BF-2704064CB454-105

DBC97DF0-A9C8-4CA8-9A53-6A380CFFA8BD-105

The under ECM looks a very yellowish grey on the shots of XL426 I have so I painted it Hemp and them weathered it with Tamiya smoke and some citadel washes.

06C97BE6-36A7-4BC9-8BAE-A6F891FB0B9F-105

Because XL426 looked so very Tatty (and I like that) I have stained the panel lines with Tamiya smoke with lots of Flow Improver added. Tamiya beeing horrible to brush with. Just lightly flowing in with a brush and wiping off excess with a finger and repeating.

A1193D75-2062-4E99-B86D-3F425A0A0E5E-105

EE3A4F3F-C485-435C-86DA-3A340CF17E82-105

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Nice weathering Rob and good to be able to see it against the opposite side as a comparison. I should really try and get into the whole weathering malarkey, all my models are fresh out of the paint shop. For me I guess it's the fear of ruining a model, I will have to buy a cheap kit and use it as a weathering mule.

• Like 1

Nice weathering Rob and good to be able to see it against the opposite side as a comparison. I should really try and get into the whole weathering malarkey, all my models are fresh out of the paint shop. For me I guess it's the fear of ruining a model, I will have to buy a cheap kit and use it as a weathering mule.

Cheers John.

I don't normally do it like this and I don't normally use this tamiya smoke. I just expeimented and found it worked for me.

I usually use citadel and chalk. I have bought some mig pigments to try however. Its fun have ago.

I would say make yourself a little spitfire and have ago at washes , exhaust and gun streaks etc.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Tasty tasty very very tasty, it's very tasty!

I best keep you away from it you might eat it after all my hard work.. LOL. Thanks mate.

Righto Update time.

I have gone over ever line with Tamiya smoke. Then I let it dry and then I brushed and slatherd on tamiya smoke over the whole airframe bit by bit then wipped off the excess swiftly with my hand to basically stain it slightly.

Then when dry I cut it back with a very fine micro mesh pad on the not raised areas of the Airframe to get a faded patchy look with the smooth areas like the canopy top looking paler as they should. this was done very gently and only for a short time. I will seal it with matt varnish then do the exhaustes.

Here she is with her VDF Partner XH558 as she was in 1992 for comparison. Its a long time coming but I am really chuffed with how shes looking now.

DD98DDFD-C801-4620-9684-9849306DF22A-150

38461567-7B87-42DE-8C07-5197FD82192E-150

5374D3D6-52E4-4AC5-819C-C8736B546CB3-150

B06759DA-1D21-48AF-BFD5-6B8E51A1FE56-150

8E73ACC9-BA1F-49B8-B677-8589C911546F-150

6120F3C7-7BD4-4C65-9FC1-120B38B92B03-150

Sorry I forgot the photos here they are now. ;)

Ta Rob :thumbsup:

Edited by robvulcan

Well this morning the Tamiya smoke has dried I can't believe its taken me a year to get this far but then whats the rush when you enjoy all the stages of a build.

It is nice to see the finished article though and hopefully today I may get close to doing that.

I am just wondering about a stand for these two. Does anyone know a brand of stands you can buy that allow you to rest a model. I don't want to be boreing holes in these.

I will probably have to make it myself in the end but if anyone knows some cool stands I would like to know.

Cheers Rob ;)

I have now given the model a mist coat of Humbrol Satin Varnish from the can to seal the Tamiya and masked off the Exhausts for painting with Citadel Chainmail which is a nice dullish silver color. Just added a drop of W&N Flow Improver and then it brushes like a dream.

677BBECE-7E53-45B7-B425-C36BF8A986AC-209

B9FC0E53-5947-4256-9D91-D893EEA7B79D-209

FA03AC38-39FF-418C-8E6B-FB295DB8BFBE-209

8BDB489A-B94D-462C-8BD2-F59C442F4920-209

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been away from this a few days but today I have painted in the windows using guitar string in balsa wood.

I have also started on the decals. Nearly there now almost a year on if not already a year on.

8C0286A6-8799-4E2D-8A23-E3A43BFF8FCF-234

EDA38D40-6638-4261-AB11-AF29CFEE74C2-234

62DDF97A-645A-4409-B490-6C1FD4FD43D5-234

5FAD1060-1793-41CB-842E-67E3CA850410-234

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 4

Flippin' lovely Rob!

John

Very Nice Rob. Oi Loiks it, Oi loiks it a laaht. :winkgrin:

Cheers guys, you can alway count on the "Two John's" to brighten your day. ;)

Well for those interested she's nearly finished. Decals on mostly kit ones but the serial are from mark 1 decals 1/144 raf alphabets.

The entrance door decals were improvised from 4 spare decals to make something too look like her VDF logo and crew list.

I used some mig pigments betwean two coats of humbrol matt varnish from a spray can sprayed In 4 light coats.

Got to go to work now but will do some better shots and the usual flying shots.

It will be my first RFI of the year I must get some of the other mods photographed and up thre too.

Hope you like her in her faded wrap around scheme. Love that Revell Nato Olive looks lovely.

Cheers all Rob ;)

C1801676-B79C-47BF-AC1A-25DF5BD4416F-166

2BA27051-0241-4F5C-9B11-7248D32CB65C-166

13648E2E-B06E-461C-AC7F-B0E4B35321A8-166

04CC4C0F-A8D2-4C2D-A48B-F0EB57C340D4-166

;)

• Like 8

She's a 'marvellous wee beastie' Rob a cracking result. What did you use for the matt finish, is it the new Humbrol stuff?

Doh !!!

I must read Rob's post properly.

:tomato:

That really dose look the bog's bits Rob, you must be chuffed with it?

John

Cheers John oh yes worth the wait. I do love XL426 Nothing better than a grubby machine. ;)

That is a very impressive Vulcan you're building, great work :)

She's a 'marvellous wee beastie' Rob a cracking result. What did you use for the matt finish, is it the new Humbrol stuff?

Doh !!!

:tomato:

Aye Its Humbrol Direct from rattle can. Wonderful stuff but do it in the sun and make sure you mist in light coats to stop the bloom.

The new british stuff is even better. Best flat finish I have ever got it is rather nice.

Glad you like her. ;)

Looks great, you have done a brilliant job on the Vulcan

Cheers Kev mate ;)

That is a very impressive Vulcan you're building, great work :)

Many thanks mate ;)

That is really great Rob!! I like the way you approach your builds and your patience gets fantastic results. Well done! Well impressed!!

• 4 weeks later...

She's a little cracker! Top work :)

Cheers Val :)

That is really great Rob!! I like the way you approach your builds and your patience gets fantastic results. Well done! Well impressed!!

Thanks I learned patience by being impatient and the results that yields. I still need to learn it more often. Working when your heart is not in it is a big no no. Learning to enjoy what you hate is another.. Like sanding and filling. I hate it when it seems like a "oh no thats gonna take hours situation" But now I just get comfy sit back and gently go at it letting the pads do the work and before you know it your there. I guess I try now to visualise a part of a build as a build in itself. so for example if it takes me 3 weeks to sand some intakes well.. thats great as I will be happy with the results at the end. In the past I would ignore it. Now it depends how much a certain build means to me what I do. Most important is its fun and thats the thing that should drive me to do it. This build was just having to fit in around other more important subject for others. shes been worth the wait though. Cheers Rob

Cracking little Vulcan that - 1/144 would allow a nice Vulcan dispersal diorama :winkgrin:

Thanks alot. It would indeed however this is a smaller 1/200th Vulcan I am actually going to do a full 4 ship QRA one day. probably in the later strike command colours.

sorry for the late reply all I have taken a mini hiatus from the site as I have been busy with all sorts at the mo. But to quote Rab C Nesbitt "I Shall RETURN !"

• Like 1