VULCAN XL426 VDF 1983

robvulcan

At last after months of on off searching and going through loads of photos I finally find a photo of XL426 undersides to work from.

I cant understand how she did so many displays and there are so few photos of her belly. Thanks to the photographers who posted these on the web.

Top photo is XL426 While with 50 SQN she has those day glow strips evident in this shot. I wonder what they were there for.

Bottom is XH558 for comparison.

xl426undersides_zps988bc330.jpg

avro_vulcan_xh588_leuchars_x4245d_zps7e3

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Great job Rob. The dayglo marks were used for tanker reference and alignment trials that XL426 participated in with the introduction of K2's. (XH560 was used with 426 as the receiver aircraft).

Here's 426 landing at Mildenhall after an amazing display, (didn't take the photo but was there...in my humble opinion the best Vulcan B2 demonstration I ever witnessed), it clearly shows the tanking marks, notice also the 50 squadron running dingo markings on the fin,

426_mildenhall_zpsb79d8660.jpg

Thougha poor quality shot of XL426 it gives you an idea of the standard underside camo scheme,

07-19_zpsf364ae4c.jpg

And a good topside shot,

07-17_zps8114212c.jpg

Melchie...

• Like 1

Here's 426 landing at Mildenhall after an amazing display, (didn't take the photo but was there...in my humble opinion the best Vulcan B2 demonstration I ever witnessed),

I guess you didn't get to Greenham Common in 81 then. The Vulcan crew decided to compete for the Wilkinson Sword Trophy against the fighters.

Roly Falk eat your heart out.

• Like 1

guess you didn't get to Greenham Common in 81 then

I did indeed Benters, that too was an awesome performance, as was XM597 in 1976, it's just that the Mildenhall '83 show stuck in my mind. To be honest there were many such demonstrations, some of the rehearsal flights at Waddington and Scampton were even more impressive but sadly had to be reeled in for the actual shows.....

Just remember the take off being spectacular and the rest following suite.......

XL426280583-001_zps57321855.jpg

Rob, no problem mate, I do have rather a lot of stuff on the mighty 'V's... :winkgrin:

This shows the markings up close, though I'm not too sure as to their original design, could be that airflow has torn pieces off to give that shape....

Also note Rob that at that time 426 had a replacement rudder that was a lighter green than the rest of the airframe....

226336_zpsfc80dc88.jpg

Now how about having a go at this one, XH558 serving as a B2 MRR of 27 squadron, Scampton with air sampling pods fitted...(allegedly converted from Sea Vixen tanks)....

IMG_0004-9_zpsb71ed20a.jpg

M

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

HI Andy many thanks. I will be modelling her in the VDF scheme, I am going to start the blue taking in a second. a long job in 200th scale even.

I have found some great footage of a terrifying tight bank and pull up from a very low pass by one of 4 Vulcans in the last ever scramble.

watch this clip from 1.07 it should make you happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2dzOOyJ9As

not sure which Vulcan that is but looking at the camo pattern on the left wing and the 300 series pipes and roar I guess its likely to be XM648.

For those who are interested in footage of Vulcans that is not of 558 doing displays in the 80s 90s and recent years. while I was off sick I bothered to seek out some older footage amongst the sea of your usual display vids.

here are a few links to interesting footage that some of you may not stumble across so easily.

27 SQN Disbandment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k4nflMUkXQ

617 SQN Disbandment (amazing howls here particularly from xl392 at the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I19niWNhpLA

Vulcans doing circuits at waddo in the 70s ! with original sound too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N16xvv4dkZE

XM597 Malta 1974 in 60s camo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJK8Gat5VVY

K2s Landing XH561 and XJ825

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZutd-5qWQ4

XL426 practice display at waddo as per General Melchett's memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4eP2hL_BXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb1UosBuwPs

Check this guys page out he has lots on XL426, XM655 and others. very good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobinPovey/videos

The complete documentary showing Vulcan b1s in the early 60s we often see clips of this but this features loads of footage and close ups of maintenance, wheel retraction tests etc on XA911 also features, 901, 908 and others. fabulous footage a real gem check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JCo7pwjoaY

Oh and not to forget this one, "were the big birds fly" features training in Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M88INs1vkw

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

The Vulcan that pulled round tightly was indeed XM648 Rob, it was the display ship that day the others in the four ship were XL359, (the only 200 powered airframe there), XL444 and XM575. Another one I managed to get to. Amazing really that my mates and myself just drove all over the place to see these shows back then, it was almost routine..............if only nowadays !!

• Like 2

Now how about having a go at this one, XH558 serving as a B2 MRR of 27 squadron, Scampton with air sampling pods fitted...(allegedly converted from Sea Vixen tanks)....

IMG_0004-9_zpsb71ed20a.jpg

M

Ah I missed that bit in my reply. I indeed would like to have ago at this one one day. I was going to pick your brains at some point about to go about making these, sky bolts and the other fittings they carried. (drawings etc)

I also would like to model the very cute "tiny" practice bombs they sometimes carried. Its so funny seeing such a mighty bomber with the smallest bombs I have ever seen proudly under the wings.

I wish I had a photo.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate yes poor old XL426 keeps getting pushed to the back of the cue. I have been making her since the start of the year when I started doing my B1 and B1A conversions of this kit. This and the other B1s have stalled occasionaly due to other events.

I might have a look at blue taking her up soon. This one will be a gear up job like the others But After doing XH535 with the gear down I would like to do one of these with the gear down and photograph it in the same way and see If I can make it look real.

There are plenty of stalled builds around here and more on the stash pile...

All good fun eh.

Cheers Rob ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi yes I want to get her finished. Poor thing keeps getting her nose shoved to the back of the cue due to commitments. started her early this year.

I am going to have a look at the camo soon likely today if I can get going. I am considering using ocean grey rather than MSG now as a faded DSG after seeing it on the Spit I just made I love the deceptive nature of Ocean grey it seems dark but its actually quite pale.

Then I am modeling 426 in her last year with the VDF and she looks very close to MSG due to extreme fading.

We will see.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

I have wondered actually about XH558 on another forum I hear one person wrote "they painted 558 in the wrong colour by mistake and its not an official RAF scheme so we should look away in disgust and 558 never wore wraparound in service"

Well I don't agree with those comments because 1: who the hell would paint 112ft x 100ft of airframe on both sides, that' 224ft x 200ft of airframe in the wrong colour....

2. As far as I am concerned the paint was applied by the Raf from 1985/6 to 1993 when she left them and was therefore and official Raf Scheme though yes a display scheme. I believe they painted her this way because its attractive and also I have wondered if it was to match XL426 faded appearance because it had faded so much from the DSG.

I personally think the wraparound msg green looks brilliant and not wrong at all. It would be cool to find out if 426 inspired 558s scheme and to find out if the user on the other forums comments of it being a mistake can be confirmed as that bloke or lady who painted such a big error deserves a pint for making such a big booboo and making it look cool. lol

Cheers Rob

Edited by robvulcan

• 4 months later...

You had better finish this MY friend cuz I have been following this quite avidly :fight::police:

Progress is good..keep up the hard work :evil_laugh:

Hi Houston well I got distracted sorry mate. Nearly a year on and I am still cracking on with her. Well I am now..

Update time... (Started this build May last year...... Deary me...)

Ok well she had sat on the shelf wearing a nice coat of HU155 from the Rattle can and I have picked her up many times. Looking and wondering.

I have used HU155 for some of my Vulcans and for some it looks good. I know the Official shade Is 163 and Yes looks grand for most things. But It don't look right for all things in my opinion and I like to try and use different shades to help give them the Character and make them look like the real thing.

For this one I wanted to hunt down an olive drab that was more to the brown than green the Hu155 does look brown but it does also look a bit greeny and yellowish. I Find HU66 is a good match for many RAF jets of the 50s particularly V Bombers Thats what I used on some of them.

For this one however I decided to give a gorgeous colour I fell in love with a try Its Revel 46 Nato Olive Its a gorgeous shade and very similar to HU155 but it behaves differently and has a slightly darker hue its seems to bounce colour differently and its more brown.

I have fallen in love with Revell Aqua Paint. Its just simply BRILLIANT.. it covers better than any other paint I have encountered Self levels and gives beautiful results. I have added some W&N Flow Improver and just slapped it on with a brush and let it sort itself out. Highly recommended if you want to brush.

You get a great designed pot too and plenty of paint for your money. It will need thinning for AB users but Your going to get plenty of paint for your money.

This is 3 brush coats. 1 did it but I like to make sure as when the Klear goes on It can reveal a few missed spots so 3 good coats to be on the safe side and I think this demonstrates the Levelling ability of this Paint and the Flow Improver well. Good stuff :thumbsup:

7574B672-6F24-4C52-98BE-5FC519DC109E-133

2AA521A5-55A9-4AF3-9F11-C794B20EEC8A-133

2FA870BC-3F95-4B0C-9C73-9B82C6354C1A-133

CC7D908C-2802-4B7A-B4A0-256E0ACB5747-133

Cheers Rob :)

Well I guess now as I have finally... got the house to myself its time to blue tak this beast up. The 1/72 one took 6 plus packs to do the top surface. As this one is a wrap around I am guessing she will take about 2.

She might be small but she is still big if you get what I mean. And the Camo pattern is still complex. Good job I enjoy it. :)

11C78B2D-E655-4FF1-868F-FD15AE829936-272

Well I did not rush this Kept doing a little bit at a time over the last day between other models. I seem to have gotten into a new phase of having a few subjects on the go at the same time Its a bit of a nightmare yet refreshing and keeps ideas flowing.

Rather than just bashing at one thing. I guess I have done enough of that recently.

So here we are a year since I started her she is now Tak'd up ready for the spray. I have spent time copying XL426's Camo pattern to give her the right look I hope. Each Vulcan is unique in this respect she took 1 and a quarter packs of blue tak to do. Not bad. Airfix take 12 packs.....

Right so on with the MSG To give her the faded DSG look.

8AFC0E5F-84A2-4D6B-9E42-9FB10B85DAAA-272

8DE6C456-CF72-47F3-AB75-BE2E805ACDC3-272

Well here she is with her clothes on at last. and some shots trying to show my attempts at copying her pattern. Its close enough.

0E58F042-30C3-4369-AB73-DB45298EE59D-272

40166CDD-28C6-433B-901B-B5FF2092D19F-272

16DC62A0-4603-4D8D-9F3D-1A662EB623D1-272

I could have done better on a few areas but then I have to add some patches of darker paint and plenty of staining on this one. She did look very tatty and full of Character and oozed personality in her last flying days.

I am pretty chuffed so far.

:D Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Sorry Here are the comparative photos. I want to amend a few areas to correct a few of the swells on the tail but shes not too far off. Never gonna be perfect.

Cheers Rob

3CB0FA10-EDFB-4F33-BD10-42679757FA04-272

688C92BD-2F2D-48F2-A281-CE3B1D3450F8-272

22D67E06-7868-4BDD-900A-1FFA45FF0231-272

The flash photos don't do much for the colours Looks much darker in person. I look forward to seeing how she looks in the sun tomorrow.

Cheers Folks Rob :)

Update time. This morning I got to try out my new punch set. I have never used them before and thought I would used this build to try them out for when I get around to finishing off my Airfix XM597.

Here I can see the colours in the morning light too. I have corrected one part of the camo on the tail fin so that the black numbers don't run onto the green/brown.

As for the rest of it I am happy with it and its close enough. Looks a bit like XL426 at least.

749F4983-12F5-4862-B60E-E18FDDAD076D-272

Now all I need to do is mask off the radar panels and exhausts paint them. Then I am going to shade a few panels different shades to represent repainted parts of skin.Then its a few coats of Klear then flow paint the windows. Decals. Varnish wash and chalk weathering then it should be done. :)

• Like 2

Hi robvulcan,

A very enjoyable build thread and an aircraft that I'm very much looking forward to seeing finished. I have two 1/72 kit restorations to do, which will result in XM655 as preserved and XM607 in red flag wraparound. With the excellent info from this thread I may be tempted to do XL426 as well or XH558 as a K.2 :)

• Like 1