1:72 Consolidated PB4Y-1 Liberator

Navy Bird

This is another stunner, and this GB is producing a lot of them. Cancel the holiday, give up the family, take pro-plus 'till your eyes bleed while you are locked away - but don't spoil this beauty by rushing. You've done too much stunning work to spoil it for the sake of a deadline.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2013 at 16:05, Natter said:

This is another stunner, and this GB is producing a lot of them. Cancel the holiday, give up the family, take pro-plus 'till your eyes bleed while you are locked away - but don't spoil this beauty by rushing. You've done too much stunning work to spoil it for the sake of a deadline.

Thanks, Natter. I think you're right - I was probably rushing last night when I dropped the port wing. Being much more careful today! Maybe it was the double dose of medication... :):):)

Just kidding, I'm a teetotaler.

The wings are on, and I'm now building up the tail. When the remaining pieces are taped into place, she is sitting on her wheels, and it looks like the weight is just about right. If you force her to tail-sit, she'll stay there, but when she's back on all three wheels, it's pretty solid. I hope the paint doesn't upset that. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 12/8/2013 at 21:06, martin hale said:

Please say that you will finish this build on the forum! I have been completely charmed by it thus far.

Martin

For you, Martin, anything!   :santa:

Just in case anyone thought I was joking, here she is with wings! For the finished model, the flaps will be deployed and the ailerons with be deflected slightly. I'll keep the rudders straight.

100_4223

Sitting on her own wheels!

100_4224

Still a LOT of work to be done. Stay tuned, even when the GB ends, we'll just move over to the WIP forum I guess. I don't know if the whole GB forum gets locked down or not.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

I can hear those wheels groaning under all that metal !!!!!

Thanks for the tips for adding brake lines, I'm going to start slowly....just do the medication bit for a while before I progress onto the next step !!!!

Can't wait to see the tail on :)

Thanks for the nice comments. I've taken a quick inventory of what's left to be done, then estimated how much time I think I need. I then figured that into how much time I'll have available (realistically, considering the holidays) and it looks like this might be a mid-January completion. But I shall soldier on, I'm too stupid to admit defeat! :mental:

I've been thinking, though, of taking a small diversion and doing a quick build of a single engine WWII fighter, just for something different to work on. I have a short attention span! What do you guys think? Something really unusual that we never see on BM, like a Spitfire maybe? My biggest issue with this is that I never seem to be able to do a small, quick build - it always turns into some kind of big project! :banghead:

I did manage to build up the PB4Y tail assembly, and modified the fuselage panel that was used for the belly turret so that it would accept the radome. I'll get these on tonight.

100_4227

However, it looks like I am going to have some real challenges with the clear parts - the vacuform parts that I bought aren't even close to fitting, so I have to use the coke bottles that came with the kit. Too much fun!!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

the vacuform parts that I bought aren't even close to fitting, so I have to use the coke bottles that came with the kit. Too much fun!!

Cheers,

Bill

I had thought as much when you had to modify the bulkhead behind the cockpit. You should be able to vac a new set for this kit fairly easily. You were going to used the Pavla conversion?

I thought the tail was two bulkheads and a connecting floor for a minute! "But didn't he glue the fuselage already??".

There's no shame in failing to finish inside the deadline! At least, that's what I always tell myself...

Looking forward to seeing it in WIP.

Regards,

Adrian

Further adventures in the never ending saga of this build can be found here. Please stop by, have a biscuit and a cuppa tea, and we can have a nice chat about why I ever decided to build this model in the first place! Psychoanalysis encouraged!

Cheers,

Bill

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm getting started on a "Privateer" project in 1/72. I'm planning on doing 5 of 'em (still need two more):

1. A PB4Y-1 (essentially a B-24 D with the ball turret in the belly) [i have the Academy/Minicraft kit]

2. A PB4Y-1 (essentially a B-24 D without the ball turret in the belly, but with the radar in that spot. Your article prompts me to use the Revell 1/72 kit)

3. A PB4Y-1 with the ERCO bow turret. [i have the Academy/Minicraft kit]

4. A Liberator GR Mk V. [a second Revell 1/72 kit]

5. A PB4Y-2 (the Airfix kit)

I've been planning this for a long time...I've lots of aftermarket items-engines, metal landing gear, photoetch exterior and interior sets, bomb bay doors [i plan on having the doors up to view the bomb bays], control surfaces, vacuform clear parts with the framing sanded off & replaced by thin strips of foil with light rivet detail, weighted wheels, and lots of lead to pack in the forward nooks and crannies. (I'd prefer to use depleted uranium, but Government frown on that.), a correction kit for the -2.

I'll keep you informed of my progress with text and photos. (how, exactly, does one refer to digital pictures? It's been ages since I used a 35mm camera.)

Nikolai

• Like 1

• 1 month later...