Airfix A4 Skyhawk (old one) - suitable as A4 Aggressor?

Dermo245

Hi everyone,

With the 'Obsolete Kits GB' underway (and quietly calling me!), Is it possible to convert the old Airfix A4...

AirfixA4DSkyhawk_zps0008a4c6.jpg

into a US Navy Aggressor model like the following?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/7/7/1995770.jpg

Or is it nose-reshaping, kit-converting utter madness?! :mental:

Thanks in advance!

Dermot

Nose and intakes are different. IIRC, everything after the B had a vestigial splitter plate on the inside edge of the intake. The ESCI/Italeri A-4Fs aren't bad and I think the ESCI kit can be found fairly cheaply. I really like the Fujimi A-4s better, but I don't know about their pricing.

As the previous posts have stated, building an Aggressor E/F it's not an easy conversion (you need a longer nose, different intakes, different rudders, vortex generators on the wing and plenty of other details). The A4D-1 however sported some very interesting markings in squadron service and some of the support units aircrafts were also quite colorful. Googling A4D-1 will show some potential subjects

Nose and intakes are different. IIRC, everything after the B had a vestigial splitter plate on the inside edge of the intake.

The change (among a bunch of others) was introduced with the A-4E and the J-52 engine, which superceded the C model (there was no D model to avoid confusion with the original A4D designation) and replaced the J-65. The only exception to the "Post-C" rule is the L, which was a remanufactured C.

As to the OP, I concur with the others, far easier to pick up an A-4E/F or M that try and modify a D. Too many things to change.

Thanks all and really appreciate the advice and knowledge!

I think my local hobby shop might have an Esci A4 'Aggressor' which would fit the GB rules and is more (?) accurate.

Dermot

The Esci 1/72 skyhawk is a very nice kit although the cockpit is not much detailed. Its only drawback IMHO is the curious mix of raised (wing) and recessed (fuselage) panel lines.

I'll be actually entering an Esci 1/72 A-4E myself for the GB, only have to decide which markings