Airfix 1/76 USMC M4A2 Sherman (Tarawa) - FINISHED!

Cheers! :)

There is also the minor point that the US Army didn't actually use the M4A2......Just the US Marine Corps. :rolleyes:

The Airfix kit, if it can be said to truly represent anything out of the box, is an M4 Early (it has Continental R975 style engine deck and a welded hull.....QED).....With a long, long list of errors. My planned second build (Kasserine Pass M4) would basically involve bring the kit up to something like the specification that it most closely matches. :nerd:

I'm currently in several minds about what to do for a second build.....I really do want a 1/76 Kasserine M4 and I've got all the bits to hand, but I'm doing a Sherman already. I've got several Matchbox 1/76 M3 Stuarts in the stash and I'd really like to do a USMC version for Guadalcanal, or a 7th Light Cavalry machine in Burma, or even a Stuart captured by the Japanese. I also need to do an accurate M3 Lee as while "Antique" looks OK it's actually a bit anachronistic on the detail front with a mixture of early & late features. But then there's the rather superb MB/Revell 1/76 LRDG Set, or an Airfix LCM or Buffalo, etc. etc. :undecided:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Great build you've got going there! I remember building the Matchbox Stuart many moons ago. I had that, the Esci Sherman, Esci Valentine and a Matilda (can't remember the make), I might have to have a go at some small scale armour again.

Out of all that options I'd go with whatever needs the least amount of work to correct and detail as a relaxing project after this one.

Found a nice site with some pics of what I'm aiming for with my first build: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/usmctank.htm

Oddly there are no pics of 'Cecilia', which might explain why I've got decals for almost all of the others, but not for the 'little tank who could'. :rolleyes:

Progress with the model continues steadily, but it's mostly been faffy little bits like the exhaust (It turns out my subject had a two part affair rather than the simplified one piece casting in the image above. :doh: ) that are hard to photograph with the moody macro settings on my camera.....However I've just joined the hull halves together permanently, so once it's all dry and cleaned up I'll take some piccys of that instead. ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Just suffered an 'epic fail' fitting the tracks.....Barely resisting the urge to pound the kit to shards! :chair:

I'm really annoyed.....I normally find fitting tracks a doddle, but I stupidly bought 'Zap - Zip Kicker' Aerosol CA Accelerator and it is to put it mildly, utter rubbish.....It would be better described as CA De-Bonder. :wall:

I lost two bogie units on one side when the 'Zap' I used to fix the tracks, de-bonded the CA holding them in place.....I've made repairs, but it's going to be hard to clean up the mess, 'Zap' seems to cause the CA to foam more than other accelerators too. :shutup:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Well I've fixed it, but it's not pretty.....I've run out of white primer too, so you'll have to face the full unmitigated horror:

Piccy-Be-Gone

Here's my attempt at the exhaust system (& generally tarting up the rear hull plate):

Piccy-Be-Gone

To be fair it could have been worse.....Fortunately I found a tube of my trusty favourite, Bostik Superglue Gel, which can usually be relied on to get the job done without accelerator. :thumbsup:

I may not have to kill it after all! :wicked:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I've just noticed the MB/Revell sprockets are the wrong type for my subject! :doh:

I could swear that I checked they were correct before proceeding with the build, but apparently not and it turns out the original Airfix ones would in fact have been closer, but then the tracks would either be wrong or not fit properly.....I can't easily fettle my way out of this one! :suicide:

As it turns out, I can in fact do just that.....So I have:

Piccy-Be-Gone

It's far from perfect, but so is everything else on this build.....It'll just have to do! :unsure:

Sorry about the pic.....Black really primer doesn't help! :blush:

FWIW & All the best

Andy S.

PS - Don't worry, I didn't use all that black primer on two sprockets.....I've primed a Hetzer for spraying! :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Still faffing.....Discovered I'm fresh out of 1/76 Jerry Cans and my subject almost certainly had a rack of them on the rear hull plate (all the other C Company Shermans seem to have had them), so yet more aftermarket bits are on their way. :rolleyes:

I reckon this little Airfix kit would probably work out at about double the price of the equivalent Dragon 1/72 version (I have five in the stash! :doh:), were I actually to tot-up the cost of it's many & various components. :whistle:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

It's certainly been interesting. :D

Beginning to wonder if my title might not be a bit deceptive as there will only actually be nine Airfix parts in the finished model (although five of those parts are fairly substantial).....There are also seven ESCI/Italeri parts, eighteen parts from MB/Revell, three are from Unimodel, four parts plus the decals come from Dragon, plus there's Stu's M4A2 conversion set, a Milicast turned barrel and an assortment of aftermarket from Dan Taylor Modelworks & Friendship Miniatures (both of whose products and service I can very highly recommend). Some of the stowage and tools are from the SHQ 20mm white metal range. :nerd:

Here's a not very exciting picture of where it's at right now:

Piccy-Be-Gone

I've been adding some texture to the turret with a supergluey digit and you can also see evidence of where I had fitted tools to the rear plate, but it appears these must have been located elsewhere on Tarawa M4A2s as there is a Jerry-Can rack in their normal spot.....I'm thinking they might be stored to the underside of the rack like the gun-cleaning rods (IIRC) on an M4A3. My references are unrevealing in this area so any advice from Sherman experten who might happen to be be popping in would be gratefully appreciated. :pipe:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Hi Bruce.....That was certainly the case for the folding rack on M4A3s, but I think not for these M4A2s.....Here is the best picture I've found of the rear of one of these tanks:

charlie.jpg

It has the can rack and deflector per Steve's model:

Tarawa10May07_009.jpg

For Discussion Purposes Only

But the Jerry-Cans all appear to be flush to the rear plate leaving no room for the tool normally stowed there (unless it sits just above them), also the hammer is clearly not where Dragon would have you locate it (above the left rear fender mount as you look at the image) and there is nothing to indicate that it ever was there. :nerd:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

My final package of goodies (For the tank itself.....There will be one more for the crew yet! :nerd: ) arrived this morning, so I'm back on the road, courtesy of Friendship Models! :yahoo:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/friendshipmodels

I am now the proud owner of sufficient shiny and beautifully cast 1/76 Jerry Cans to fill many racks.....I've also got some tidy little periscopes for my hatches! B)

I really have to thank Ian at Friendship for taking the time to sort me out (I messed up my order, so he fixed it for me), as I know he is incredibly busy with a massively important new project of his own right now. :D

Must admit that I really didn't think he'd have time to take care of my needs at the moment so I foolishly ordered some cans from 'other seller'.....They were not very good at all, so I decided to wait on Ian. I'm really glad that I did because compared to the Friendship cans they're garbage. I'll use a few in the middle of the rack under the tarp, but everything you can actually see will be Friendship stuff. :pipe:

I've also been fighting a bit of a cold-war with the tracks.....They're Revell black vinyl and were washed before fitting, I normally find these tracks stay put perfectly with a bit of CA (& usually some accelerator), but I'm having issues with them separating from the return skids & rollers on one side. I suspect it's down to my repeated priming, even a bit of paint or primer between the track and the plastic can really mess up the bond. At present we've achieved something like equilibrium, the track is still floating slightly, but not so badly as to be obvious. How it will look when it's painted may be a different matter and once it's painted getting a bond will be almost impossible. :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Your battle with the vinyl tracks reminds me what pushed me out of 76th scale. Spent weeks on a M4A4 Firefly and got defeated by the tracks. Mr Hammer meet Mr Not Very Good Model.

Still, you've pushed on and overcome so I doff my cap to you Sir! It certainly looks a lot more 'Shermany' that the tat you started with. With all these finished models starting to crop up I thought I was the only one at War with his entry!!

Good Luck

In hindsight, were I to do this build again (which I will at some point.....I want three of these), I'd probably use Unimodel 1/72 L&L track and sprockets, the tracks are a little bit out for a 1/72 Sherman; while the width is right, the track pads are too narrow and the end-connectors too long. :nerd:

However if you sand down the end-connectors a tad, they should look spot on for 1/76.....If you were pathological enough about these things, you would have to replace the detail on the ends of each and every end-connector, but for me, in 1/76, that is most definitely a detail too far! :winkgrin:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 3 weeks later...

Been slacking a bit on this one, so in order to avoid having to transfer it to the KUTA build, I thought I'd better get my finger out. :blush:

Recent work has mostly involved making lots of fiddly little bits like these:

Piccy-Be-Gone

These will become towing shackles.....I need five, so far I've made nine, I've got these two and I've successfully fitted three to the tank, the rest are in hyperspace somewhere! :wall:

The model currently looks like this:

Piccy-Be-Gone

The speed with which the primer is flaking off the tracks is rather worrying.....I've used lots of MB/Revell tracks in the past and never had the problem to this extent before, although admittedly the model is being handled a lot. :unsure:

Things still to do include the exhaust deflector, tail lights (Apparently the headlights weren't fitted to the Tarawa Shermans. :nerd: ), etched light guards, front hull & turret lift rings, blade sight, commanders hatch (open) & periscope, a tarpaulin and a bit more stowage plus the tow cable.....Annoyingly it looks like I've got to part paint the model before I can fit the exhaust deflector :pipe:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1