Airfix 1/76 USMC M4A2 Sherman (Tarawa) - FINISHED!

shonky POS Tamiya painting stand

Good recovery! :thumbsup: How many tanks rolled up the beaches factory fresh anyway?

As for the stand, I looked at one of these when MZ were winding down and thought the clips looked a bit dodgy for smaller scales. I don't use anything at the moment but years ago I made my own version out of a cake stand. I drilled a few holes around the side edge and epoxied some heavy gauge copper wire from some cooker cable into them. The underside of the table was just a lattice so I could get a good amount of glue in there. I capped the ends of the wire and just bent the wire to where I wanted to hold the model steady. The great thing was that you could tilt the table to make it easier to spray. I only used it a couple of times as I was using canned propellant (rather expensive so moved back to brush painting) but it worked really well. Blu Tack and a pencil does the job for me in 1/144 :lol:

I Googled "tilting rotating cake stand" and found something similar, they're about £12 posted on eBay and look like this...

1352018007PME%20tilting%20turntables.jpg

You could probably adapt the Tamiya stand if you wanted, wires and clips could give you the best of both worlds.

Various issues have slowed my progress on the weathering, primarily my decision to use real oils, rather than risk using my new water-based ones.....When I say oils can cause me a few headaches, I'm being quite literal! :banghead:

Here's where we're at now:

408354817.jpg408354816.jpg

Whether I will get it all done for deadline is uncertain, I'm at the mercy of the drying times, but I'm in for the duration now, so I will have something reasonably representative for the Gallery.....One way or the other! ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Nice build and the weathering looks like it has gone on well. I fancy building a tank for the D-Day GB and I might get one of these to practice on as it is a long time since I built a tank. :goodjob:

it looks OK 'in the plastic' so to speak, but the contrast is too much in the photos. :confused:

Fantastic build! Far from the mess that fell out of the box that doesn't even know what kind of Sherman to be. (Are you listening Airfix!)

As for the problem with photos looking too harsh, I had the same problem with the cockpit photos on my Arado. Build photos were taken with my little tablet and with the flash looked horrible. I did a couple without flash in "night mode" and although it looked more natural they were very grainy. If your happy with it leave it like that, while all modellers would love to have a camera and equipment able to take perfect photos of their builds in reality most don't and when I look through the galleries I just take this into account.

Well done again on a great build, It's given me a lot of tips for when I get around to doing my couple of Shermans. :worthy:

Leave it alone! It is absolutely brilliant, even in the photos. As modellers we are our own worst critics and as a harsh critic of my own stuff I can honestly say your Sherman is an absolute beauty. If it looks OK in the plastic it definitely doesn't need any improvement. A fabulous job an a true POS that most people would leave on the shelf.