Airfix 1/76 USMC M4A2 Sherman (Tarawa) - FINISHED!

OK, after some delay.....This/these are mine:

407603868.jpg

I've got several Airfix Sherman kits, a couple of their Lee/Grants and three of Stuzzar's excellent M4A2 conversion sets (turret, deck & mantlet).

I'll also be picking up a couple of the Dan Taylor Modelworks etched frets and a trio of Millicast 75mm M3 barrels.

My aim is to build a US M4 Early as used at the Kasserine Pass and a USMC M4A2 as used on Tarawa Atoll.

Things at home are hectic at present, so update frequency will be highly variable.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

OK, where do the wings go?? ;) It's nice to see something in the build other that's not an aircraft... Apart from the Brontosaurus :blink: Looking forward to this, the only Sherman I've ever made was the old ESCI kit back in the 80's. Loved the fact they modelled the radial engine. I was never really interested in the Airfix tank range due to them putting photos of the model on the box (mid 80's). No detail, dry brushing, no weathering... They just looked very unappealing and it put me off. It'll be nice to see what I missed out on.

What little detail there is on these kits is at best vague and at worst completely spurious. I'm in the process of scraping and sanding all of it off the hull and transmission cover of the first kit, which will probably eventually become the M4A2:

Piccy-Be-Gone

The Airfix transmission cover is more or less the right shape for a single piece casting (as seen on Tarawa M4A2s), but it has what appears to be an attempt at the detail for a three piece bolted transmission cover cast onto it.....Obviously it has to go. :fight:

I'm toying with going for a Kasserine Pass M4A1 for my second build rather than a M4 as it will be something a bit different.....While this would not consume any extra parts from my stock of Sherman bits, it would involve a LOT of extra work, packing and bulking out the hull with Milliput before sanding it to the required shape. :mental:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Sounds as if you'll given yourself quite a task with these kits and potential options. Does the Airfix parts accurately represent any particular sub-type or is it a mishmash of different types?

In a word no.....Off hand I can't actually think of any major parts from the kit that are completely accurate for any version.....The roadwheels and idlers are OK for some versions IIRC. :suicide:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Fortunately I have several sets of Airfix M3 Lee tracks, which are the old floppy black vinyl.....These usually work very well. :pipe:

Unfortunately while they are OK for my Kasserine M4/M4A1, they are the wrong pattern for the M4A2, so I suspect a Matchbox/Revell Firefly will have to make the ultimate sacrifice at some point.....I believe I may have mentioned elsewhere that I can get through a few kits for each build. :mental:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

A bit more hacking and parts from yet another kit into the mix:

Piccy-Be-Gone

I've swiped a spare hatch section from a Unimodel 1/72 Sherman M4 and am attempting to get it to fit the 1/76 Airfix upper hull. So far I've filed the sides down then cut it in half and filed the cut sides too. Just a little more fettling and the upper hull of this one should be ready for assembly.....Makng it look presentable however might take rather longer. :whistle:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

One final update before turning in:

Piccy-Be-Gone

The M4A2 upper hull is largely sorted, just the rear plate to do then I can start to clean it up ready for assembly.....After that I can set about reinstating all those 'details' I hacked off! :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Looking good Sarge! Now if you could just see fit to putting the wings on...

Pete

Ain't that the truth.....And I've just added a couple more to the pile, a pair of Matchbox 1/76 Fireflies are on their way to me, little do they know the cruel fate that awaits them when they get here! :devil:

I've also managed to order up a couple of Dan Taylor's etched sets, which should smarten these builds up no end. B)

Here's the M4A2 Hull with a primer coat:

Piccy-Be-Gone

Some nasty gunk has stuck itself to the glacis and I've made a bit of a mess of the scribing around the engine deck.....However it will be easy enough to remove the former with some wet & dry and the latter area will be stowage central, so it's all good. :whistle:

The plan for today is to get the rear hull plate started and to make inroads into the M4 Early hull (I've given up on doing an M4A1 for now, it's just too much extra work). :confused:

Just noticed the left side of the hull is slightly short-shot.....Again nothing that can't be sorted, but it does show how tired these moulds are (they're the best part of a decade older than me). :shutup:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

In a slight change to the advertised schedule, we now have an M4A2 upper & lower hull:

Piccy-Be-Gone

The fit between the two is actually pretty good, but I need to add some details to the rear bulkhead and underside of the upper hull before I can make the join permanent.....I told you the scribing was ugly, but a well placed tarpaulin can hide many sins! :ninja:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

The fettling continues and I've started restoring some of the details to the hull:

Piccy-Be-Gone

I've fitted the cupola and mantlet, drilled out the gun sight & fitted the co-axial MG.....I had to file Stu's meticulously added cheek armour off the turret as it turns out these early USMC M4A2s didn't have it. :doh:

A small envelope filled with 'Precious Things' arrived from Dan Taylor Modelworks this morning.....I've fitted the turned brass barrel already as you can see, to say it's an improvement over the Airfix part would be the understatement of the decade! :winkgrin:

The running gear has proved to be a bit of a problem.....The M4A2 I'm modelling had stamped wheels with six spokes, the Airfix wheels have open spokes and the backs are hollow, so they're out. The MB/Revell wheels are stamped but have seven spokes (a pattern I'm not familiar with at all) and they have hollow backs too, so they're a no go as well. :wall:

Thus enters kit number four.....An ESCI/Italeri 1/72 Sherman has provided the correct roadwheels, which after being suitably filed down are to be fitted to the MB/Revell Bogies along with the DTM return skids, I've mocked one up (minus the skid) and according to my plans (well Dan's plans TBH), it's spot on 1/76! :yahoo:

FWIW & All the best

Andy S.

PS - I've got a nasty feeling the Airfix kit represents a 47o hull, whereas the Sherman I'm modelling may have had a 57o hull.....If that's the case, I'm well and truly stuffed on the accuracy front, so my protractor is staying in the drawer until I've finished the build! :suicide:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Looks super so far Sarge - we are our own worst critics!

Pete

Nope.....It really was pants! :chair:

Something was really bothering about me about the mantlet.....After a bit of sleep and a check of my references I've discovered that, while it's perfect for its intended purpose (a British Sherman III), it's the wrong type for an early USMC M4A2. :doh:

I don't actually have the right type in 1/76 (naturally I've got one in 1/72) so I've made the best of a bad job and added the correct details for the type in an attempt to disguise the problem. :wall:

I've updated the pic in the previous post to show how it looks after modification.....I'm not happy with it at all TBH, but I'm going to have to live with it. :confused:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...

Not had much time to work on this one recently.....Small but significant progress:

Piccy-Be-Gone

These are the finished MB/Revell bogies with ESCI/Italeri wheels and DTM return skids.....They're quite a bit better than the Airfix parts! ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Couldn't live with the mantlet after all.....So I fixed it:

Piccy-Be-Gone

It's still not perfect, but it's a much closer approximation of the type I'm after. :confused:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Wow, so much work for a tiny thing Sarge. Looks well worth it though.

It's something I've wanted to do for a while (correcting the Airfix kit properly) and it's keeping me out of trouble. :D

I'm faffing about with the lower hull today, adding a grill and the exhaust system, which it appears, will then be mostly covered up by a shroud.....Oh and I've sorted a towing hitch too (stole it from the Italeri kit). ;)

My God Sir.....I think it might be a Sherman! :rambo:

Piccy-Be-Gone

I needed a morale-boosting mock-up! ;)

The mantlet is now on V:4.1 (BETA) as the co-axial MG was too far outboard, I've removed the old one but haven't made a replacement or re-drilled the mantlet yet. I'm stuck with MB/Revell sprockets to match (I hope) the pitch of the track, but they are pretty good TBH. I'm using ESCI/Italeri for the idlers, they are almost spot on in diameter, but I still had to file the hell out of them to get rid of a godawful mould seam. :nerd:

I'm still faffing around with details, here's an engine grill thingy:

Piccy-Be-Gone

The exhaust is proving a challenge, it's surprisingly fiddly to build in 1/76:

DSC0020.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I've just noticed Airfix are currently marketing this Jurassic (if loveable) POS kit as an M4A2:

A01303-Front.jpg

They've got to be bloody kidding! :mental:

As you can see, if you really do want your model to even vaguely represent an M4A2, you do have to put in some work! :winkgrin:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1

Well thatĀ“s about just as credible as having an american tank on the boxtop with a road sign pointing to Caen. Wait! Maybe it was for cautioning the americans that "donĀ“t go that way, they are fighting a real war there" :-)

Your tank, on the other hand, looks very good. V-P