CHEVROLET LRDG Dragon 1/72

PASANALA

I believe that's rather more than just the Dragon set.....Is your stowage aftermarket? If so what sets did you use please? :shrug:

You've achieved a very smart looking build.....Did you replace the wheels? :hmmm:

The hollow backs on the Dragon parts are pretty shocking for a premium kit aren't they? :analintruder:

• Like 1

I believe that's rather more than just the Dragon set.....Is your stowage aftermarket? If so what sets did you use please? :shrug:

You've achieved a very smart looking build.....Did you replace the wheels? :hmmm:

The hollow backs on the Dragon parts are pretty shocking for a premium kit aren't they? :analintruder:

There is a problem with the sprue. If you see the side of box, you'll find the pieces....for another version of the kit without the Breda gun. The pieces for fill that hollow wil be present in the other version. I filled the hollow with Tamiya two components.

Thanks all for those words.

Serious problems with the armament, these vehicles were used for Recce and not for offensive ops.

They carried,'yes some earlier MGs', but the vickers and Bren were the main armament used, for defence only.

Yes captured weapons were used but mainly by the Free french units/South African and African units with these types of weapons.

Jeeps used Aircraft MGs with the SAS in twin mounts, plus others later in the war.

The le-enfields were stowed and not in racks as shown, stens were mostly used for close quarter action.

But nice vehicle all the same and in that scale comes out bigger than it is.

Nice work on the weathering.

Cheers foxy :coolio:

I have read fairly extensively on LRDG ops & a Breda truck in each troop is frequently mentioned. I'd also imagine that each troop of whatever nationality pretty much did their own thing re personal weapons, they had very great freedom to choose compared to regular units & its therefore maybe a mistake to be too dogmatic in this area. Without photos of this vehicle, (& they do exist) I'd hate to make a definitive call on this.

Steve.

Not quite right about armament.........

When patrols went out they were originally issued with 10 x Lewis Mk1 MGs 4 x Boys Anti-Tank rifles, and 1 x 37mm Bofors to give them a good weapons mix for both ground action and anti-aircraft work. Bren guns would have been desirable, but there were none available for issue to an as yet unproven unit, and the infantry battalions were themselves short of this standard section weapon.

Supplementing their army-supplied ,weapons the LRDG was equipped with surplus RAF Weapons. The most widely used of these were the Vickers K machine gun, which was sometimes mounted in pairs. From 1941 the LRDG acquired .303 Browning Mk lls from RAF stock, these also were usually mounted in pairs. When the new Chevrolet's were issued in March 1942, several were converted to carry captured 20mm Breda Model 35s, which replaced the Bofors 37, and each half-patrol was equipped with one 20mm Breda "Gun Truck.

In September 1942 the .50 Browning Heavy Machine Gun began to replace the Vickers medium and heavy machine guns, and the Boys anti-tank rifle.

The 20mm Breda used the carriage turntable with the 3 trail legs REMOVED, and it was then bolted through the rear deck on the Chevrolet onto the chassis

Most of this information has been obtained from National Archives

Hi friends. Thanks again for those kind words

Sgt Squarehead...I did'nt know about that mistake in Dragon model

Really bad news.....I need anothe one!!!!!!!

I believe the question of gunnery on board is not so important.....war is anarchy...Everybody picks up the weapon he can get.

Thanks folks

• 2 weeks later...

I think your model is fabulous it really looks really realistic

And your paintwork is spot on and nicely done.

Congrats and good work here.

All the best,

Karen

Edited by Belle