Airfix 1/600 HMS Belfast May 1945 , Waterlined+P.E. ,Wooden deck.

There's life in theses old kits yet,I built 2 Belfast as a kid and was one of my favorite ships,much I like 1/700 :Tasty: ,when I do a 1/600 its just right :pipe: ,anyway, this is Belfast from May 1945,she had a refit for the far east,she went back to over all grey with the blue strip along the hull,but the war was finished by the time she arrived.Then she went to spent most of her working life out there.had large refit between 56-59,mostly the bridge was rebuilt for N.B.C.with lattice mast and up grade on the smaller armament.Back to the model,as usual,the hull has been waterlined.having done one ship already,this was easy this time,had enough plans and pictures to make the changes to Belfast,most of it is where the walrus use to be.the crane was repositioned,the ships boats and added decks for anti aircraft armament and extra accommodation.I thought it was going to an easy conversion,but as we get deeper, keep discovery thats change and thats moved.In too deep now and all the main items are finished. I started this about 3 weeks ago.The P.E. is by White Ensign models and deck by Artwox

B1_zps3fa8b4bb.jpg

Hull getting for the saw

B3_zps9d97afa7.jpg

lots of dry fitting

B4_zps1d2eb95f.jpg

B5_zps44179d1e.jpg

Yes I replaced every single port hole, mad comes to mind

B6_zps5af23f7c.jpg

more dry fitting,getting the new boat deck right

B7_zps8a5a5959.jpg

Made up the plastic kit crane to make sure every fits right,only one crane required,which will be P.E

B8_zps3566bea2.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 1

ive been hoping someone would build this. i have one plus the WEM pe and decking in hiding. hoping to pick up some good tips to encourage me to actually build it. :popcorn:

are those portholes on the wem sheet. if not where did you get them?

Hi Chewitt,

Nice to see someone else having a go at this conversion. I did this about 15 years ago, and it took me about 3 months to complete ! If I remember the only part that wasn't altered was 'A', 'X' and 'Y' turrets !

I think you've got a bit confused with your centre section deck, which was added for the four pom pom gun units: The white section that you've added is actually a space between the two decks, and not as you've shown it. Also, the bridge was altered to an asymmetric shape, which you can see on the drawing, although it is easy to miss. I have some good photos of my model, which might be helpful to you, so if you PM me I can send them to you. I'm planning on converting my Trumpeter Belfast to Korean War configuration in the near future, but it should be easier in 1/350 scale ( He says optimistically ! ) HTH :cheers:

ive been hoping someone would build this. i have one plus the WEM pe and decking in hiding. hoping to pick up some good tips to encourage me to actually build it. :popcorn:

are those portholes on the wem sheet. if not where did you get them?

Hi bit of cheating l used 1/700 Flyhawk Royal Navy portholes , they looked the right size

Thanks, will check that, lucky not glue down yet, even with the plans not easy to make out, starfighter it was your Belfast l found ,that gave me kick to do Belfast as a 1946 instead the normal 1942 version.

Edited by Chewitt

Thanks, will check that, lucky not glue down yet, even with the plans not easy to make out, starfighter it was your Belfast l found ,that gave me kick to do Belfast as a 1946 instead the normal 1942 version.

I'm pleased I've inspired another modeller to have a go at converting this model. If you have the later edition of the Anatomy Of The Ship book it has an exploded view on the back cover which shows the midships decks a bit clearer. If not, PM me and I'll e-mail you some pics. HTH :cheers:

Having a look at your model starfighter can see were l have gone wrong, thanks for highlighting it

I'm glad that I have been of help. as I said before, if you need any more info or pics just PM me and I'll see what I can Do. :cheers:

Very nice build so far Chewitt mate.

Like the wood deck and have the 1/350 to do someday.

Is there any other cruiser that can be made by altering this kit or the 1/350 one???.

Not up on Brit cruisers :winkgrin: .

Cheers foxy :coolio: .

Very nice build so far Chewitt mate.

Like the wood deck and have the 1/350 to do someday.

Is there any other cruiser that can be made by altering this kit or the 1/350 one???.

Not up on Brit cruisers :winkgrin: .

Cheers foxy :coolio: .

You may be able to build Edinburgh with a little work . Her and Belfast are enlarged versions of the 8 ships of the Southampton class. Then there was a couple of similar class's after that were a bit smaller than the origanals. For a real challange maybe use the kit as the basis for one of the smaller class

I can sort of see how it may work if you can picture losing 2 of the 4inch turrets(I've just noticed in the pics that belfast seems to only have placement for 4 4inch twin turrets where the book said there was 6 twin turrets and only four in the early class) , about 7 scale metres in length and 1 scale meter in breadth of the hull but then the superstrctures are a different matter unless you ignore the 1 meter beam difference. There would be alot of other differences as well but as I said it would be a challange if its possible. This is just off the top of my head and a quick look in a book at the basic dimensions. I'm sure someone who knows more in the area can add to that

Your Belfast is coming together quickly Chewitt, The wood deck really adds to the look of the kit and I've said it in other builds but you do such neat and tidy work.

cheers Callum

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been out of action,had a fight :boxing: with stanley (Knife) 4 stitches later in index finger,right hand :oops: (Lucky left handed)and not feeling very clever :banghead::doh: ,just about all healed ,and Belfast is coming back on track,I found a pic at last showing her in 1945,showing the blue band and the cover plus 20mm still on the stern

Sidney_August_1945_HMS_Belfast_zps296d88

• Like 1

Glad you are back building. How was the wood deck to use? I have the same kit, pe, and decking waiting for time to do it and am hoping your project will give me some inspiration.