Matchbox Hawker Hunter

Col.

Great cockpit job,mate!

What will you plan to use for seats?

Dont forget to add weight...

Thank you George. Have a pair of Pavla seats ready to install so that's a couple less things to scratch-build. As for weight; was looking a it last night and thinking the cockpit and undercarriage bay provide a couple of nicely boxed in sections to fill with lead sheet :D

Your build is fantastic! I can't wait to see it all come together :)

Thanks fella. Neither can I! Seems to be taking forever but at least the enthusiasm is still high. Was almost tempted to crack out an old Airfix Gloster Meteor as a quick build to ensure I actually got something finished at one point but too busy enjoying this one at the moment.

I know what you mean, I'm cycling through the four I've got on the go for this group and sometimes it seems like I'm not getting much done to each one. If I concentrated on one I'd get a huge chunk done but at least doing it this way I'm always doing something while glue/paint/filler is drying. I get like you and need a quick fix every now and then, that's when my little Zvezda Art of Tactic planes and tanks come in handy. My record is a Lagg-3 in under 2 hours, really gave me a "build high" to be able to stick something on the display shelf the same day as starting! :D

Edited by Speedman
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the positive comments and encouragement gents.

Are you sure resin seats are good enough for that gem of a cockpit :)

Belive me when I tell you Steve nothing wil give me greater pleasure than being able to add a part to this kit that hasn't taken hours of scratch-building or modification :banghead:

I know what you mean, I'm cycling through the four I've got on the go for this group and sometimes it seems like I'm not getting much done to each one. If I concentrated on one I'd get a huge chunk done but at least doing it this way I'm always doing something while glue/paint/filler is drying. I get like you and need a quick fix every now and then, that's when my little Zvezda Art of Tactic planes and tanks come in handy. My record is a Lagg-3 in under 2 hours, really gave me a "build high" to be able to stick something on the display shelf the same day as starting! :D

Have to admit there are a few of the Revell single-seat hunter kits who have some minor assembly done at a corner of the bench along with a couple of the Zvezda 'Planes' kits that were started but then put aside as this one took over my full attention. Seems I can't complete anything in less than three months these days and even that's only 'cause I'm pushing on to get it done during a GB.

Gobsmacked.
That is awesome work.

Thanks for your continued support John, it means a lot to know others are enjoying this as well :thumbsup:

This is rapidly turning into a master class!

Martin

Coming from someone who's TSR.2 still inspires me that is high praise indeed Martin.

When I see such amazing work going into this at the build stage I am keen to see what you will indulge. In at the paint stage. This really is excellent.

Well the 'pit is a black hole so lots of drybrushing and picking out what little colour highlights I can first of all Rob. Then I'm leaning towards the overall silver with yellow bands this particular machine wore early in its service life at the moment.

Now a small progress report. Almost all of yesterday evening was spent making what I think is an air-conditioning unit or some similar contraption then adding the two strips that run around the inner circumference of the bay. A lick of Humbrol Hu56 as a base colour then fitted said contraption. There's still some associated pipework to add but after various failed attempts to heat stretched sprue to a suitable shape I gave up for the night and will try again shortly.

20131107_092659.jpg

Then, after all this, I tested the fuselage still fits together and had a look inside the bay. You can still see the details. Just. If you look closely. In good light. Perhaps I'll not bother adding the thin pipes and wires that run between components on the bulkheads for the sake of what's left of my sanity :hmmm:

• Like 2

They are lots of fun to build and far more detailed than I thought they would be. I did a whif using Skipper Riley a couple of months ago ;)Ken Decklander

Found exactly the same myself when I opened the box and you are to blame for me buying them in the first plave after seeing Ken Decklander ;) Plan is to make a mobile for my daughter's room with them once the Hunter is done.

What a great idea for a mobile! I've got the Gee Bee in the stash that I'll be doing in the classic black and yellow and I'm hoping I can turn the mask into flying goggles. With the sequel out next year can she expect mobile number 2?

What a great idea for a mobile! I've got the Gee Bee in the stash that I'll be doing in the classic black and yellow and I'm hoping I can turn the mask into flying goggles. With the sequel out next year can she expect mobile number 2?

Planes 2? Never knew that, Iona really enjoyed the film so dare say we'll be going to see it as well :D Of course dad will have to get his finger out and finish mobile No.1 first.

The pipework got plumbed in last night then finished the internal structure around it. It all fits in never to be seen again so back to the cockpit this evening hopefully.

20131108_090011.jpg

Progress of a sorts again after not getting much done over the weekend due to family matters. With the cockpit soaking up so much time I felt a need to move on and shift focus elsewhere rather than get bogged down with the resulting loss of enthusiasm from working in one area for too long. Thus the forward fuselage halves were joined and then mated to the main fuselage section. Then it was filler time. Lots of filler!

20131114_092127.jpg

20131114_092143.jpg

This is how the main sections stand after three rounds of filling and sanding. The nose has been slimmed down and the spine given a more rounded section but the bulge behind the canopy is still in progress. Aside to this the link collector bulge for the single 30mm cannon needs a bit of work to both shape and possition so that and the cannon trough are next on the list.

• Like 3

looking fabulous. I finally picked one of these up at telford I love the kit. I am likely going to do mine OOB but looking at this it is tempting to do more with it.

Cheers Rob. What scheme you going for btw. I think I will do mine wrap around.

• Like 1

looking fabulous. I finally picked one of these up at telford I love the kit. I am likely going to do mine OOB but looking at this it is tempting to do more with it.

Cheers Rob. What scheme you going for btw. I think I will do mine wrap around.

It's an easy enough build out of the box but a labour of love for me hence the extra work. This one will overall hiss spped silver with yellow bands as a machine from the early 60s that makes many appearances in my dad's log book. How are the decals in your kit? Any problems give me a shout as I've a few spares ;)

Nice work Col. Will you be reshaping the wing tips? They're much too square OOB.

Mark

Cheers Mark. The wingtips are, as you say, too square and thick so feature on the long list of stuff to be done although I think that's the only bit of reshaping that remains to be done.

cheers col thinking of having a crack at it. The decal look ok but I may use after market anyway. Cheers Rob

Got a couple aftermarket options if you need ;)

Keep sanding! :banghead:

Scribing now. More sanding will most likely follow :weep:

Thanks for the offer col. I may take up up on that..

Its always the same when You embark on a big mod of a plane. We dream and imagine the steps,, a sand here and cut there scribe this and that paint on job done.. In a few seconds you imagine the process its seems doable. then when you come to do it. Its indeed doable but we always seem to forget just how much time it takes and how much elbow grease.. Well I do anyways...

Your doing a grand job and hats of to you for doing the work..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry gents but real life has been a combination of unfortunate events lately and these have conspired to keep me from doing much modelling. The intake trunking has been installed and the wings are on along with plenty filler to blend them in. Also go the airbrake, hook fairing, gun trough and blister on. That, however, is all I have to report and with plenty left to do I very much doubt this one will be finished within the GB timeframe :(

Sorry gang but once I can get back to making progress I'll get the updates going again.

• Like 1