Matchbox Hawker Hunter

Col.

Thanks Neil. I've built a few of these over the years and they go together alright but need a bit of filler and are best seen as a blank canvas for adding detail to suit your tastes. Often considered buying the Xtrakit to see if it's a better option but never quite got around to it yet.

Painted the bays with Humbrol 56 as I find it a good base colour to represent the oily silver seen in these areas then closed the wing halves before a little light drybrushing with Hu11 cut back with more Hu56 to tone down the shine.

20131021_090638.jpg

Next major task is to form a representation of the intake trunking. Have a couple ideas but will make a few experiments to see what provides best results for mass production - there's 10 72nd scale Hunter kits in the stash and 5 of those are on the bench at the moment so I'm sure you can understand why I'm trying to make this as simple as possible :banghead:

I've also started to look at the cockpit and gather references. There isn't a lot going on in the Matchbox kit so a bit of scratchbuilding required there as well;

20131021_090716.jpg

• Like 3

I had considered that approach Giorgio but over 2 Matchbox and 8 Revell kits I'm thinking another method may take more initial effort but work out better in the long term.

Thank you for the kind comments gents. Not had much time to this one for the last few days but after several filling and sanding sessions I've got the rear fuselage shape sorted to my satisfaction;

20131025_085818.jpg

20131025_085851.jpg

Got the jet pipe temperature probes fitted then installed it to the rear fuselage,

20131030_082502.jpg

so turning my attention to the cockpit now. Basic structure in place as a canvas for the detail to begin,

20131030_082406.jpg

Looking good there Col. The detail touches are really lifting the look of it.

I've done the same in getting the reshaping done before the details, it makes for a lot of work with not much to show but, I think, is a better way to do it.

I hope you're enjoying this GB as much as I am...

• Like 1

Thanks Nick and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the GB - you certainly picked a harder project than I did! :lol:

Agree with you about all the constant repeat process of filling, sanding, checking but it's worth it once done and I've found getting the hard bits done while initial enthusiasim is high ensures the model is more likely to be finished. Now on that very subject, if you'll all excuse me, I'm away to try form a mould for intake trunking...

• Like 1

Well done sir,detailing a Matchbox kit!

Thank god I have a PJ conversion!

After my Hunter build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234908989-rhodesian-hunter-fga9-revell-172/?hl=rhodesian

I wanted to build more and more Hunters,but no time...

• Like 1

Thanks again gentlemen.

Got that intake trunking mould made but as yet untested. Used an old lead wheel weight to shape the male mould;

20131031_091640.jpg

...then did a bit to the 'pit;

20131101_092311.jpg

It's not 100% accurate down to the last switch and knob but I'm hoping an ex-Hunter pilot wouldn't feel lost while looking in.

Thanks again for the encouragement and comments gents. Been slowly working away across the 'pit so now have two sets of rudder pedals and the left side detail almost complete. Instrument panel started but the shroud needs modification to be accurate so this is going to take a little more effort than I first anticipated. All good fun though :D

Made a little more headway on the 'pit last night. Instrument panel made and fitted along with a small scattering of other details. Still the throttles and sticks to make but need to sort out the front undercarraige bay as well so that's next on the list for a change of scenery;

20131104_185551.jpg

• Like 1

The longer this build goes on the more envious and impressed I get. Great modelling. :worthy:

Thank you A M and while I'm enjoying this with high enthusiasim levels I'm also aware we are well through the GB with plenty more to do. Ah well, at least the KUTA GB lasts a bit longer if it's not done...

Here's a better photo of that 'pit as it stands;

20131105_102212.jpg

, while last night seen me get started to the front undercarraige bay. About half way through it so far;

20131105_102253.jpg

• Like 3

Hunters are not quite my game but this build is another fabulous one. Regards, V-P

Thanks V-P, glad you are enjoying it, plenty more to be done but I'm constantly looking forward to my next session with it.

That cockpit is looking great Col, I'm getting tips as quite fancy doing one at some point :)

THanks Neil, hope this thread is helpful, be a change to see you build a jet. Now wish I'd made a template of the main cockpit parts for future use in my own and others models.

Got the front bulkhead for the nose undercarriage bay formed and detailed last night along with a little more detail added to the rear;

20131106_080047.jpg

, a couple more items to add then splash some paint on so the forward fuselage halves can come together. At last!

• Like 3