1/48 - McDonnell F2H-3/-4 Banshee by Kitty Hawk - release in 2018 ?

Homebee

Hope they are asking for your advice Tommy.

Robert

Not yet, but I sent a PM to kagnew71 offering it. I also posted my old Tailhook Topics conversion article here: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-bigger-banjo.html

I don't know what drawings they used, but it looks like the main landing gear wheel/tire is too small and so is the horizontal stabilizer. The wing trailing edge doesn't appear to have enough curve to it, at least according to the McDonnell lines drawing. I'm not sure about the size of the drop tanks. I don't have a dimensioned drawing for them but I know a couple of places where they could be measured.

Fantastic choice by Kitty hawk!

I hope they can work it in the best possible way! All model companies have done mistakes, some though, are really unbeleivable these days with so much images and computer technology availiable to them!

I am looking forward it's release! F2H Banshee was a beautifull flying machine!!!!!

Also the intakes are not quite correct. The curve from the wing to where the intake begins should be a lot sharper.

Lots of very good photos in the Naval Fighters book on the Banjo.

Robert

Over on Aeroscale Kagnew said they'll be doing more 50's planes .He likes the F-11F Tiger but then says they don't sell well so I don't know if we'll be one of those. Love the Tiger meself!

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

More CAD

Sources:

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=15224

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/09/the-mcdonnell-f2h-3-banshee-from.html#more

10.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

First comments... :P

Jessie_C
I'm a trifle concerned about the nose gear strut. It looks as though it's a -2 strut grafted onto the -3 airframe (the same mistake Hobbycraft made back in the '80s). The -3's nose gear strut was longer making the sit totally different from the -2's. The difference is subtle, but noticeable. Compare a -2 sitting nose-down with a -3 sitting level. Look at the air visible between the top of the nosewheel and the nose gear doors on the -3. The same gap is not visible on the -2. And while I'm at it, I'm certain that a -2 (-2P and -2N also) in this scale will also be welcomed with open arms. I do hope that Kitty Hawk are considering these variants as well.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know if Kittyhawk went back to the drawing board on the 1/48th McDonnell F2H-3/-4 Banshee? The kit number precedes the early Banshee that they released - KH80130.

As is well known Kitty Hawks F2H-2/2P suffers from some major shape issues. I'm hoping that they decided to fix all the issues like Eduard (Bf-109G) or Great Wall (P-61 and F-15) have done and release a fantastic kit. But they seem to have folded their tent on the Mig-25 variants and buried the tooling on that one.

They could redeem themselves and win a lot of fans by owning their mistake and correcting it. Eduard and Great Wall have my respect for their commitment to their customers expectations of quality kits.

I'll certainly buy a couple of Banjos if they are done right.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...