My next project will be the Eagle Transporter of Space 1999 fame.

I will always have fond memories of the first time I watched Space 1999 on our black and white TV, this was sometime in the 1970s, I was immediately hooked to this series by the opening sequence of the crashing Eagle and the title tune. From that day onwards I always wanted to have a model of the Eagle Transporter and yes I also had a crush on Maya.

I never remember seeing this model in a toy shop, we didn’t have model shops in those days, and if I ever saw one, an Airfix series 6 model was certainly out of my pocket money reach. This model was always on my wish list. I must have been bidding on an Airfix Eagle for the past 7 years until I succeeded in having the winning bid only last month. I have read online that there is going to be a reissue of this model by a different company.

A reboot of the TV series Space 1999 is also in the works this time in the not too distant future of 2099. Can't wait to watch this series.

ku-xlarge.jpg

The Eagle Transporter

The Eagle was supposed be put in production sometime in 1990, it was a joint project between Boeing, Rockwell, BAC, and The Vehicle Assembly Section of Moon base Alpha. It is supposed to be 150’ long, 60’wide, and 28’ height. The type 2 Eagle is armed with 2 Lasers and 4 space to space missiles. The Eagle transporter has nuclear propulsion engine, and a max range of 18 Billion miles.

The Airfix Kit

01Eagle_zpsa9756fd5.jpg

I have read a lot of reviews on this kit none of which were kind. The kit is moulded in white plastic and somehow looks rough. My first impression is that the cage looks horrible, I see a future of stretching sprue and burned fingers, before I start cutting plastic I have to study the plans better and start watching the whole series of Space 1999.

02Eagle_zpsf6628adf.jpg

As usual I will be grateful for suggestions, Ideas and any information one might have, for this I thank you in advance.

Until the next time.

Ohh I'll be watching this... I've been wanting to have a go at an Space 1999 Eagle for a while. I'd love a go at a Warp models version they are more accurate but they are pricey.

The MPC Kit is being re released next year by Round 2... it was announced earlier this year and I've been patiently waiting but it seems it's due for release some time early next year.

Link to the MPC announce here... http://culttvman.com/main/?p=29761

Edited by SMD70
  • Like 3

I too will be watching this with interest. I like the look of the new Round 2 version too. I remember having the Dinky version and being so disappointed that it was green rather than white that I got some white enamel and painted it. I think I still have it somewhere.......

Cheers,

Stix

• Like 1

I started one of these, a year or 2 ago. My fingers are getting sore just thinking about opening those cages up.

I Have been thinking off getting back to it soonish (possibly for the KUTA GB). I have some other stuff I need to get finished first though.

I wish you luck, sah. ;)

• Like 1

Watching this one!

Mine hung from the ceiling in my 3rd year infant school classroom. I was the 1st model i ever painted properly: Silver engine bells & black window surrounds.

Oh, & i have the Warp version. By 'eck, THAT one needs a LOT of work!!! Mainly on the metal spine: More flash than a 1980 Sam J. Jones film!!!

Good like, Sir!

you going the Easy way or the Hard way?

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, regarding the Round 2 issue of the Eagle Transporter, this seems to be a reissue of the MPC kit which if I remember correctly, was a reissue of the Airfix kit.

On the question of the easy or the hard way, let's just say I am going medieval on this one :fight:

• Like 1

03Eagle_zpsc1572111.jpg

The more I look up information on this kit, the more I am getting the urge to just scrap the kit and scratch built the whole lot. I have made a mockup of the kit, and the more I examine it the rougher it looks. The model appears more like a toy than a scale model, it hasn’t aged well.

On closer observation, the top spinal part of the cage is oversized and has to be completely rebuilt, as does the rest of the cage. I might even go for some interior work as the passenger section is crying for some interior detailing, opening windows; I might even go for some internal lighting though the possibility is very remote.

So first things first, I am going to stock up on plastic rod and photocopy the scale plans, the problem with the scale plans is that they are plans for a 20 inch 1:72 scale model whilst the Airfix model is a 12 inch model, more like a 1:110 scale model.

I am going to try to build this model alongside other projects, a first for me as I like to build one model at a time.

Until the next time.

I believe the kit is too wide, especially the spine framing.

I've seen some wonderful things done with this kit.

Here's a good place to get help:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/

I have the Warp Eagle in my stash, and I need to build up the courage to tackle it!

• Like 1

I am very excited about this. I have had this kit in my stash for at least 25 years so will be watching progress with great interest. :popcorn:

That remake series looks really good too, can't wait.

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

Thanks for your comments, regarding the Round 2 issue of the Eagle Transporter, this seems to be a reissue of the MPC kit which if I remember correctly, was a reissue of the Airfix kit.

The other way round. The Airfix kit is a reboxing of the MPC kit

• Like 1

Cor what an excellent model.

I built one probably in the 1970's and it still looks great in the back of the cabinet. I even made a red base for Mars and dusted the model with red chalk for weathering. That was 30 years before Weathering powders were available.

At some time I lost one of the legs (feet?) moving house and have been looking for a spare for a few years. I've not seen the kit for sale for years either so you've got a good score.

Look forward to see it done.

Colin

• Like 1

The more I look up information on this kit, the more I am getting the urge to just scrap the kit and scratch built the whole lot. I have made a mockup of the kit, and the more I examine it the rougher it looks. The model appears more like a toy than a scale model, it hasn’t aged well.

On closer observation, the top spinal part of the cage is oversized and has to be completely rebuilt, as does the rest of the cage.

That's the problem. The more you look, the worse it gets.

As you mention, the spine cage looks oversized. It is too wide and it looks too tall, but it isn't helped by the fact that (viewed from the front) the side of the cage is angled too steeply. It's also a fraction too long, IIRC.

The pod is too bulky, as well and will need some corrective work. I have a plan of action worked out in my head, which I think will improve it's look, but I'll only know for sure once it's done.

The most time consuming part is likely to be opening up the solid moulded cages and everything else this affects, too. Here's how far I got and it took a fair few hours to get to this point.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Eagle_zpscef63e60.jpg

In the last shot, the piece on the left is more or less done, the centre one needs some refining and the one on the right is still unfinished. Once you've opened those up, you still have to deal the the upper and lower surfaces, as well. These are also solid, whereas there should be horizontal bars. Then the internal structure and detail needs scratchbuilding.

So, definitely not a straight forward kit to correct. I may still get the Warp kit. It's a much easier place to start from.

• Like 2

Nice work Smiffy , I might go your way but I still think that scratch building is the easiest way out. I have to take this model one part at a time and explore many options how to get round this build. Thank you for the comments.

04Eagle_zps2441112d.jpg

So first things first; plastic rods ordered, photocopies done.

To answer Jetboy’s interesting comment; first of all I did a mock-up of the model and immediately noticed that the model somehow doesn't look right. I have also compared the kit with scale plans drawn by L. Allen Everhart . Though I have my doubts on the scale and measurments of these drawings the drawings look very accurate. I resized the drawings by 60% and got a close enough scale plan for this kit.

This is only my second Sci Fi project and I find that Sci-Fi is very different from other categories of model building, with other categories of scale modelling, you have a photo of the real thing and you can compare without any difficulty, whilst when you are trying to build a model from a TV series from the early 70s such as Space 1999, the Eagle is usually shown for a few seconds at a time, and the shot is usually taken from far away and not much detail shown, you have to draw a line and go with the information you have at hand.

Now all I have to do is wait for the postman to bring me the plastic rods and I will start cutting plastic.

Will keep you informed, I take the oportunity to thank anyone who is commenting, keep those comments and suggestions coming I really appreciate them.

Until the next time.

I remember having the Dinky version and being so disappointed that it was green rather than white that I got some white enamel and painted it. I think I still have it somewhere.......

Hmm, I never understood why it was green. Although the Eagle Freighter they produced WAS white, so if you had them both you could stick the 'module' bit from the transporter into the freighter and get a normal looking all-white Eagle!

• Like 1

Those drawings look excellent, where did you get them from?

Not sure if they are the same - but I managed to get some nice drawings from Comet Miniatures a year or two ago.

anthony

Xitan - nice work on cleaning up the parts on the Eagle. Watching this with interest. Not seen one of these built for some time.

anthony

• Like 1

Hmm, I never understood why it was green. Although the Eagle Freighter they produced WAS white, so if you had them both you could stick the 'module' bit from the transporter into the freighter and get a normal looking all-white Eagle!

Dinky tended to paint their products with whatever paint they had available, hence green Eagles and UFO Interceptors, blue Thunderbird 2s.

They did get some colours correct, the SPV and SPC were near enough, as was Joe 90's Mac's car.

• Like 1