1/24 Revell Tired Huey

Well, finally got this finished. Except now looking at the pictures, need to do a little work around the front windows. I believe as I am getting older my eyes are getting worse, what a shock!. Made this a tired old bird that had seen better days. The kit was almost no problem to put together. Two issues, one the undercarriage is way too weak to support this kit's weight. I am crafting a new one out of metal. The second issue is the nylon representations for the ammo versus the miniscule attachment points for the machine guns. I need to figure out a more permanent way to secure the guns since there is continuous pressure to distort them from the ammo. Still working on that. During the shoot one of the machine guns popped loose from the tension. Would recommend this kit to anyone of any level. Just wish they would reissue it as the phantom model.

It is very large when finished. This is taken in front of my office door and it almost spans the width of the entryway.

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0046.jpg

Comments welcome. Now back to the Mosquito and the obsolete group build.

• Like 16

Smiffey,

I agree; size matters. I have another couple of Hueys in the stash to build. One will be in a slightly odd scheme from some time spent in Thailand.

Fallmonk,

Thank you for the kind comments. It was a very enjoyable build.

Buzby061

She does take a bit of space. This is where I think she will finally stay in my office. You can see how much space she is versus other models in the display shelves.

DSCN0062.jpg

Pete in Riyadh

The build did help somewhat. And I have two more Hueys in my stash, one to be painted as I remember it being painted in the field, a Skyraider or two, a Pilatus Turbo Porter and finally a Spooky Gunship (the most scary and frightening display of firepower I ever witnessed). Still have a few demons to work through, but now am looking forward to building kits representing my era. Thank you for your concern.

To all the others who commented, I appreciate it and glad you like this Huey.

Amazing. It's nice to finally see this kit finished, this spurs me on to get mine finished too. I enjoyed the little "group" build we had going, hopefully soon I can add mine to the RFI section. Job well done. :)

Thank you for your kind words Sdighe. I also enjoyed our mini group build. I also look forward to seeing your complete project. I am participating in the Obsolete group build and originally was just going to build an old 1/32 ME 110 from Revell. Yesterday, however, while getting some paints for the Airfix Mosquito build 2 kits whispered they needed to come home with me. One was the companion to this kit when originally released, the 1/32 Phantom Mustang. So I am building that one for the Obsolete GB with a twist of trying to detail it a bit more adequately. If they would issue this kit as a Phantom, I would snatch it up in a heart beat. Originally, the kit came with motors that drove the tail and main rotor and it worked fairly well. The Mustang has one motor that will raise and lower the landing gear and another that will spin the prop. Looks like great fun. Finish you kit so I can take a look at it and marvel at your interpretation. I like what you have done thus far.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Congratulations George

Your custom undercarriage is amazing, don't you think it's strange that so many kits from different manufacturers have undercarriage unable to take the weight of the finished model, why sell something knowingly defective ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

The best helicopter ever, and the model is just spot on, weathering and all.

What paint did you use for the olive green? I still haven't found one I am happy with colour wise, and my Huey (a modest 1/72, mind you) has been languishing in a box for yonks... The colour you used looks perfect.

Having said all this, I am still jealous at people who can display such monsters in their home!

Great show!

JR