Some Hawker Demon Pictures

Daniel Cox

Hi All,

Here are some Copyright expired images some Hawker Demon aircraft of the Royal Australian Air Force sourced from Argus Newspaper (Melbourne, Victoria), archival prints.

9783149051_9e1b670044_b.jpg

9783145881_594fcf7a42_b.jpg

9783336015_8271cb1a87_b.jpg

One thing to note with respect to printed newspaper photographs is that they will often have notations, crop marks and corrections or in the case of wartime images censored areas painted and or drawn/written on the print. Whereas newspaper negatives most often do not suffer from any retouching.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Hi John,

I'm sorry I hadn't responded, they took a long time to arrive and it was coincident with my computer kicking the bucket, after that I clean forgot about it . Thank-you for sending them I do appreciate it immensely and apologise for neglecting an appropriate and timely thank-you. If I can do anything for you don't hesitate to ask anytime.

As to the pictures, here are some more;

9783920211_1b94ecb2d0_b.jpg

9783924532_76f10f7e0b_b.jpg

9783922302_2f855d8cd5_b.jpg

9784120016_af1b0ab265_b.jpg

9784098895_ae32a231c1_b.jpg

9785059944_36cc60b47d_b.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

A super set of pictures Daniel, thanks. I was going to ask about what appeared to me to be different tyres but I think John has answered for me. The 1st photos with the dark wheel hubs appear to me to have balloon type tyres whereas the silver hubbed wheels somewhat slimmer profile tyres. I'm guessing the dark hubs are 15" wheels & the silver hubs 19" wheels. The overall diameter seems much the same when measured against the undercarriage struts. Balloon tyres for rougher strips?

Steve.

Thanks John, to me that was one area the MMP book on the Hart family didn't address very well. Those beaut photos of Daniels show it off quite well to my mind. 12" wheels, cripes, assuming the same or similar tyre diameter, they must have been very "balloony". Would they have been braked or not, not a lot of space for brakes in a 12" wheel, so they'd have had skids? :unsure:

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Its just a thought but from a quick read at the MMP book on the Hart Family it would seem that it should not be too difficult to create a 1/32 Demon from a Silver Wings Hart

The design changes they state are

485 hp Kestrel 11S supercharged engine - how different from the Hart engine in looks?

Twin Vickers machine guns on the fuselage for the pilot

Sloped cut out to rear cockpit coming for the gunner to afford a better field of fire

Omit prone bomb aiming position

Gunner has a folding seat

Parachute stowage for the gunner behind the pilots seat

Gunner anchored to the floor by a chain and quick release fastener - the "monkey chain"

Containers to collect spent bullet casings to prevent damage to side of fuselage when guns fired - I assume not visible externally

Long exhaust pipes

Tail wheel instead ok a skid (but see postings above)

Resin conversion set anyone - or are Silver Wings listening in??

I assumed it was something to do with lifting the machine up when on the ground. the other photos show a hole in the same location so presumably a fitting attached while on the deck, possibly for handling, but that's just a guess on my part.

I think you mean the weights to adjust the C of G when flown solo. The square device beneath the rear cabane strut is the link collector. The aircraft testing it's guns in the gun butts probably has an armourer in the rear cockpit to supervise the harmonisation. a pilot would do the actual firing as this required the engine to run.

John

I think you mean the weights to adjust the C of G when flown solo.

Thanks. That makes sense! I always thought that weight variations were dealt with adjustment of tail plane incidence.

Tailplane incidence will compensate for minor changes in C of G but will also effect the range and feel of control movements. Weights will restore the moment arm around the C of G optimum range. Many aircraft have internal weights. Canberras have them under the navs bed, single seat Vampires have them on the nose bulkhead and Meteors on the nose u/c frame. Spitfires have them in the rear fuselage.

John

• 1 month later...

why do interwar aircraft look so much better in black and white photos than colour?the sharpness of some of the above pics is unbelievable,especially considering their age

Most pictures were taken with large format cameras, and that makes a great difference.

• Like 1

Its just a thought but from a quick read at the MMP book on the Hart Family it would seem that it should not be too difficult to create a 1/32 Demon from a Silver Wings Hart

The design changes they state are

485 hp Kestrel 11S supercharged engine - how different from the Hart engine in looks?

Twin Vickers machine guns on the fuselage for the pilot

Sloped cut out to rear cockpit coming for the gunner to afford a better field of fire

Omit prone bomb aiming position

Gunner has a folding seat

Parachute stowage for the gunner behind the pilots seat

Gunner anchored to the floor by a chain and quick release fastener - the "monkey chain"

Containers to collect spent bullet casings to prevent damage to side of fuselage when guns fired - I assume not visible externally

Long exhaust pipes

Tail wheel instead ok a skid (but see postings above)

Resin conversion set anyone - or are Silver Wings listening in??

I think SW HAVE been listening & I think one is in the pipeline!