Imediate post war use of Hurricane

derek burton

Was there much post war use of the Hurricane? I'm a great fan of WW2 types in post war markings - there were some really interesting combinations of camouflage/roundels etc. I've found very little on the Hurricane. The Typhoon seems to have disappeared very quickly too.

Cheers

Glen

Certainly Yugoslavia and probably Portugal too, and I suspect Eire should be added. Although the French had a few they'd be in oddball/training units whereas the Russians were using theirs for meteorological flying for some years after the war. The Iranians had two-seaters provided postwar.

India may have used a few postwar - they certainly would have had lots but how many were retained at the end is another matter.

• Thanks 1

Portugal certainly used them post war as they loaned a number of mk.II's to film Angels One-Five, as all the RAF could muster was LF363.

Iran received two seat trainers post war (that would make an interesting model) to make up for those destined for Persia as was was, but which were embargoed/requisitioned or whatever.

Not sure about Ireland as they received the Seafires and Tr.9's postwar and I doubt that the Air Corps budget would allow their continued use and in any event the new acquisitions had better performance anyway.

Rhodesia had some Hurricanes but according the Hurricane at War, but at war's end they were all gathered up and made a rather splendid bonfire......

Soviet Union well who knows!

Anyone know what the Canadians did with theirs?

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know what the Canadians did with theirs?

Trevor

AFAIK most were either out or going out of service by August 1945 based on a cursory look at R. Walker's website (which has all of the RCAF' Planes listed). I also can't think of which squadron was actively flying them late into 1945 (edit: I see 126 squadron flew them into may 1945, but all west coast squadrons had already converted to kittyhawks by new years). A lot of them went to training squadrons before being put out to storage and/or subsequent disposal by the summer of 1945. Canadian post war plans was to quickly downsize its forces and re-equip with more modern types like the Vampire.

A few Hurricanes remained in odd jobs, with the last (5586) apparently found with the Rockcliff Air base Admin Unit until June 1946.

http://rwrwalker.ca/rcaf1_4digit_main.html

Edited by -Neu-
  • Thanks 1

As Graham said, the ZA coded Hurricane in the kit decals was used for comms duties with the Metropolitan Communications Squadron at Northolt and they were used by the Allied Flight, flown by Belgian, Dutch and other aircrew. These Hurri`s transferred over to the Belgian Air Force and some continued to wear camouflage while others wore an overall silver finish and they look quite smart in Belgian markings. The Hurricane in the Army Museum in Belgium was one of these aircraft. Dutch Decals did a sheet of Belgian aircraft like the Mossie, Hurri, Gladiator etc and had a few post war Hurri options.

Portugal was a long term user of the Hurri in the post war years and those used in the film `Angels One Five' and others came from the Portugese. France also used Hurris as fighter trainers in North Africa well after the end of the war and they wore some interesting colour schemes,

All the best

Tony O

PS- Sorry Max, didn`t realise that you`d mentioned Angels One Five etc!

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

• 6 years later...
On 16/09/2013 at 08:36, Glen said:

Was there much post war use of the Hurricane? I'm a great fan of WW2 types in post war markings - there were some really interesting combinations of camouflage/roundels etc. I've found very little on the Hurricane.

Not much RAF, 6 Sq seemed to be the main user, an Air Enthusiast had some very unusual Hurricane markings

scans are here

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art9744.htm

If only we knew the colours of this one...

34-1.jpg

"Electrician Sgt Fletcher in front of a smart-looking LE659."

the nose and wing pinstripe, with matching canopy frames.... they look black....

31-1.jpg

I think  there are more in Rapid Rundown as well.  

some got a coat of aluminium dope, like this, 

hawker-hurricane-kz609-squadron-raf_360_

though JV-T is the background looks pretty dark, and has pale code letters

The Soviets used some until 1947-48 for meteorological use ...

radar.jpg

" This image, from "Hurricane in Foreign Service" by Miroslaw Wawrzynsk, shows a two seater with antenas on the wings; according to the source, the photo was probably taken in 1946, so it's likely a meteo reconaissance plane of the GUGMS.
It looks like a MkIIC with only two cannons,  According to some hypothesis, they could be simple supports for the antenna and other scientific equipments."

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/hurricane/hurricane2seat/plator/2seat in service/2seathurricane.htm

another that is still a mystery (I did even email a Turkish museum with no response)

hurricaneturkishcamo.jpg&key=b464cd4862d

cheers

T

PS there was the last RAF Hurricane, LF363, personal runabout of AVM Stanley Vincent 

c1584823adee669bbf37bbae5295d002.jpg

note , Stanley Vincent was the C/O at Northolt in 1940, when 303 Sq became operational,

"Overall the Squadron scored nearly three times the number of kills of the average British fighter squadron with one third the casualty rate. In fact, the Polish record was so impressive that Stanley Vincent, the RAF commander of the base at Northolt, took it upon himself to verify their claims.

Following the squadron into combat Vincent witnessed how the Poles dived at the German bombers in their Hurricanes ‘with near suicidal impetus’. On landing back at base Vincent exclaimed ‘My God, they are doing it’."

• Like 3

With regard to LF363, I did pose the question relating to its colour scheme in the “All the Hurricane Questions” thread a few years ago (2015?) and was surprised to find that the illustration above was incorrect and that it was a very light blue and not silver.

Single examples went to Argentina and Norway post war. Obviously they didn’t lead to further orders.

I believe Yugoslavia was a post war user too.

The Royal Egyptian Air Force was another user, (MK. IV?) but am not sure if this led to post war use.

Trevor

• Like 1

On 16/09/2013 at 17:15, Max Headroom said:

Not sure about Ireland as they received the Seafires and Tr.9's postwar and I doubt that the Air Corps budget would allow their continued use and in any event the new acquisitions had better performance anyway.

The Irish Air Corps operated the Hurricane post war, the Mk.I being retired in 1946 and the Mk.IIc serving until late 1947 when they were replaced by the Seafire.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

With regard to LF363, I did pose the question relating to its colour scheme in the “All the Hurricane Questions” thread a few years ago (2015?) and was surprised to find that the illustration above was incorrect and that it was a very light blue and not silver.

People should be aware that this opinion is far from uncontroversial

54 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

People should be aware that this opinion is far from uncontroversial

I can’t find the exact post now, but the person who answered quoted from someone ‘who knew’ - can’t remember if he was a witness or someone who had done research.

I must admit having a sideways glance when I got the reply. It’s very shiny blue??

Trevor

53 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

No doubt if we google "LF363 site:britmodeller.com" it will come to light but I have work to do now for a while

ah here it is

Post 313 of the All the Hurricane Questions thread is when I had my answer (blimey 2015?! I’m old)

Trevor

On the subject of Yugoslav after war use.

According to a reference (Yugoslav Air Force 1942 - 1992, in Serbian), The Hurricane Mk. IV was in use until 1952, 19 pcs handed over by the RAF. (This is in the appendices, list of plane types used by the YuAF).

However, on a quick skim, the only mention of their use is in a reconnaissance squadron (together with the Spitfires) in Mostar from 1947 on, after being pulled from a depot.

The only photo in the book is dated August 1945.

Cheers!

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Some of the Turkish ones were ex-Yugoslavia. it sure looks like their camouflage scheme.

The image does resemble the pre war Yugoslav tri colour uppers, but AFAIK the post war Yugoslav use was their original RAF paint, and those that got repainted were like the Bf109 in Belgrade

Bf109_messerschmitt.JPG

like this

1635ad1848e9bc842a079cdcdbca6c00.jpg

I have seen, somewhere, a grainy shot of a post war Yugoslav Hurricane showing single colour uppers.  

Not seen @Supercuber  on here for a while, he might know.

as @ Troy Smith requested,

Post WW II Yugoslav AF acquired in total 19 Hawker Hurricanes MK IV , from 352nd (Yugoslav) RAF SQ.
16 were used in 1st Fighter Regiment ( 1. Lovački Puk ) formed May 18th 1945. in Zadar , serialed  9525-9540 while 3 were used for spare parts.
Transfered to Mostar and formed Reconnaissance regiment in 1948.  renamed as 103rd Reconnaissance regiment.
In 1949. transfered to Pančevo and Batajnica , where Hawker Hurricanes MK IV were withdrawn from use and scrapped in 1952.
Sole survivor, 9539, ex LD975 "O" , ( 41H/368368  /  20-925 ) was displayed at Belgrade "Kalemegdan Fortress park - WAR Museum display" durring mid 1950's, photo taken in 1957.  
Later was  moved to Zemun airport museum collection and included in 1980's newly built Yugoslav Aviation Museum collection , carefully restored in 352nd SQ WW II cammo and displayed.
Post war colours were BlueGray topsides, FS 35237 (H145) and Light Blue undersides, FS 35450 (H47 close match) . Two small  YAF roundels wing undersides and fuselage only, small state flag on rudder and black 9539 on vertical stab.  Profile shown at post  #21

mvlRdam.jpg

RGDS

Nenad

Edited by Supercuber
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:59 AM, Ed Russell said:

Some of the Turkish ones were ex-Yugoslavia. it sure looks like their camouflage scheme.

No Yugoslav built Zmaj Hurricanes MK I or imported ones,  reached Turkey, few RYAF  captured MK I's are repaired in Zmaj Zemun , and were sold by German Occupation forces to Romania.

Edited by Supercuber
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Supercuber said:

few RYAF  captured MK I's are repaired in Zmaj Zemun , and were sold by German Occupation forces to Romania.

The Romanians bought 12 Hurricanes from Britain,  metal winged, with De Havilland Spitfire propellers. These were numbered 1-12 in service.

There were 3 ex RYAF  in total,  all fabric winged, they were numbered 13-15,  and retained their unique RYAF 3 tone camouflage.  These were Hurricanes built in Yugoslavia under licence,  hence the camouflage. 

British built Hurricanes sold to Yugoslavia retained their British camouflage.

The RYAF camo is seen on the cover of the book, 15, ex RYAF

Romanian-Fighter-Colours_web.jpg

some threads of  relevance.

here's one

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956047-romanian-hurricane-underside-colours/

this has a link to a long thread on another forum on Romanian Hurricanes, and receipt of ex RYAF as well.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951133-yugoslav-hurricanes-recommended-schemes/

which has a mass of information on the RYAF scheme and colour matches, @Supercuber

5 hours ago, Supercuber said:

Sole survivor, 9539, ex LD975 "O" , ( 41H/368368  /  20-925 ) was displayed at Belgrade "Kalemegdan Fortress park - WAR Museum display" durring mid 1950's, photo taken in 1957.  

exactly the photo I was thinking of, thank you for posting.

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Supercuber said:

No Yugoslav built Zmaj Hurricanes MK I or imported ones

I was not implying the Turkish Hurricanes were actual Yugoslavian ones - they were at opposite ends of WW2. My apologies that my post did not get my point across clearly but you are probably aware that some Yugoslavian Hurricanes had a 3 colour uppersurface camouflage, as per book cover above. The connection between Turkey and Yugoslavia is no more than that they both used Hurricanes. Assuming that photo is genuine, maybe someone in the department of the THK that decided on paint schemes was inspired by the Yugoslavian one? Better explanations welcome!