Not One, But Two Valom 1/72 Albemarle B. Mk I

After four years of construction ups and downs in fits and starts, I recently completed the Valom 1/72 Albemarle Mk I. Originally, I was only going to do one for my wife's uncle, who actually worked in the factory where the plane was assembled. However, as mistakes were made and then corrected (usually), I decided I could learn from the experience and quickly build a second Albemarle for my own shelf. 'Quickly' it was not and the second build had its own set of issues.

The whole experience was blogged (after-the-fact, from notes and work-in-progress photos). If you don't want to read the full build history (albeit entertaining, in retrospect), you can skip to the completed photos of Albemarle Number One (for the uncle) and Albemarle Number Two (for me).

This was a challenging kit for me (only my second model as an adult) and I have no doubt many of you reading this could do better or at least have avoided the mistakes I made that had to be corrected.

Here are some of the final product photos.

Albemarle Number One

9752619041_0e2a7e9d94.jpg
9752822464_86c9634e47.jpg

Albemarle Number Two

9752846445_2ef03f7880.jpg
9752636481_1596828831.jpg
9752635522_63019e44e4.jpg
  • Like 8

Nice work! I am sort of in love with my valom kits (though I haven't built them) so it will be nice to come back and read it ALL when I have the time.

Yes, they do look big! Would it be blasphemous of me to do one up in a Coastal Command scheme? :evil_laugh:

modelglue

Nice work! I am sort of in love with my valom kits (though I haven't built them) so it will be nice to come back and read it ALL when I have the time.

Yes, they do look big! Would it be blasphemous of me to do one up in a Coastal Command scheme? :evil_laugh:

modelglue

Modelglue - I looked up in Bowyer's 'Aircraft for the Royal Air Force' and here is what he had to say about Coastal Command:

"Details of the fleet as on 13 September 1942 are as follows:

With Coastal Command: P1409 (279 Squadron), P1431 (Coastal Command Development Unit, Tain)

"

This was during the trials phase when the Air Ministry was trying to figure out what to do with the Albemarle Mk I.

Bowyers goes on

"Apart from an acceptable layout, Coastal Command had no time for the aircraft, and were particularly against it for its poor single-engined performance."

Torpedo handling trials were unsuccessful.

So, whether the two planes were actually painted in Coastal Command scheme I do not know - there is a caption in Bowyers where he shows a picture (p.. 82) of an Albemarle in "day bomber camouflage which also suited them for possible service with Coastal Command"

Edited by cropredy
  • Like 1

Stunning builds, from what can be seen in the 'thumbnails'..

My only criticism concerns the pics – much too small!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim - just click on the picture and you'll go straight to Flickr where the full size photos reside

I like a lot of people reading this have one of these in the to do list and it is a really special treat to see two of them completed especially to this standard. You must have a lot of fishing weights hidden in the nose as she looks very tail heavy ?

Not sure if it was intentional but it's a great idea having the MG in the diorama with the second aircraft as both were made at the MG works in Abingdon ( apologies I'm an MG fan ) strangely the non flying MG has lost its spare wheel carrier which would have covered the rear fuel tank.

Didn't these also get used as glider tugs for Arnhem and D Day ?