*** Italeri Ju188A/E: finished! Thank goodness.***

mike romeo

Hi folks,

My hope is to do a second build in this GB, with the aim of getting a German bomber in my collection; hence this post to spur me on to get something done. The Italeri Ju188 has been superseded by the Hasegawa kit and has a few interesting 'features', especially the engine cowlings and moveable cockpit armament.

I may make use of some spares from other Ju88 / 188 kits but the majority of the build will just use the Italeri bits and any small amount of scratchbuilding I'm motivated to add. We'll see how it goes.

Pics to follow.

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo

Pete,

It's a nice kit for it's time. Restrained raised panel lines and reasonable cockpit detail. Not sure about the accuracy of some of the bits, but more of that later. Rather boring box top compared to the He219 but complete with unpronounceable Italian kit maker's name:

DSCF5148_zpsb8c43f02.jpg

Sprue shot:

DSCF5151_zps4e932bb1.jpg

The BMW engines, though with some nice cylinder detail, do not include the fans at the intake face, so there's a problem right there; as for the Jumos, do the nacelles actually taper that much? I may rook appropriate bits from the alternate parts in my Hasegawa Ju88G / Ju188 when I decide whether I'm going to do an A or E.

Istruzione:

DSCF5153_zps4092f88f.jpg

Painting guide:

DSCF5154_zps98c040fd.jpg

Now I just have to find the time to start!

regards,

Martin

Jinxman,

I can see why it's a favourite. In answer to your question; I have no idea. I do fancy something stripey or squiggly, though.

Col,

Yep, it's a step up from the Matchbox one, that's for sure.

regards,

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

OK then, let's get this show on the road!

As promised, I have actually committed modelling thus far this weekend, and I thought I'd show my meagre progress to you lot.

Firstly, I made up the majority of the cockpit interior. For a 1970s kit (I think) it has a rather nice amount of detailing; judged by todays standards, it comes up slightly less well. However, I am unsure what, if anything, I will add to it as I'm not sure a lot will be seen through the rather heavily framed canopy. I have also added the elevators to the tailplanes and gave them a bit of 'droop' to add some visual interest.

DSCF5319_zpsf3526041.jpg

I have also added a bulkhead to blank off the hole at the rear of the cockpit space, and attempted to fill the wing root recesses with styrene sheet and milliput. I'll cut down that bulkhead to size once it's dry and add some radio boxes and odds and ends later.

DSCF5315_zps79d14940.jpg

(I used to have a real 'mare making fuselage bulkheads before I realised I could deal with them like this, one side at a time. Granted, you have to take the time to let the glue dry on one half before fettling the other, but I'm happy with the trade off).

Wing halves are together and I have made up the engine nacelles. I'll let them dry overnight before faffing about with the rear undercarriage doors, which will be closed up. At least that'll save me having to put in a bulkhead at the rear of the undercarriage bay. Whether I add anything further in the bay, I'll have to see. The Jumo engine cowlings have also been made up. They're a slightly different colour because they hail from the Hasegawa '188 kit, so I'll build that example with BMW engines.

DSCF5316_zps7732db04.jpg

Why did I bother rooking my Hasegawa kit for an obsolete build like this? Well, I have some standards, even if they're low ones, and I couldn't get over the tapered look of the Italeri pieces. Here's a comparison of the cowling shapes:

DSCF5318_zpsfe465f2b.jpg

That's it for this build for this evening, but I'll see if I can get some more done tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

regards,

Martin

It's not been the best week for modelling, so comparatively little has been done; however, I got a couple of hours at the bench last night and tonight so I think it's worthwhile showing where I'm at.

Firstly, I have thrown some plastic sheet and strip at the cockpit and here's how it looks at the moment. It's closer to what's in the Hasegawa kit, but not actually that close. What's interesting is that the cockpit floor is significantly higher (4-5 mil) than the Hasegawa kit. Of course, with the canopy on, little will be seen anyway, so what's there now - and where it is positioned - is good enough for me.

DSCF5326_zps9ff0ab2d.jpg

I also spent some time yesterday scribing the wings; just some representative panel lines (not necessarily those originally in the kit), and that went OK. You can see some of my mistakes highlighted in white tippex in the pic(!) I also added some filler round the front of the engine nacelles so that the diameter would be closer to that of the Hasegawa cowling. It's not too far away, but more filler will be required once the cowlings have dried.

DSCF5329_zps6819bc80.jpg

That's one of tomorrow's jobs, together with splashing some RLM66 and black round in the cockpit.

Thanks for looking in!

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo
  • Like 1

Looking very nice so far Martin, nice work with the card!

That plastic does not look too friendly though, is it brittle?

Pete

Another one of my favourite kits - what scheme are you going to plump for?

Jinxman,

In belated response to your question: this one!

DSCF5333_zps2a5fe302.jpg

Should be interesting!

regards,

Martin

I built this many years ago and the Matchbox one was the first I ever built as a kid so have a soft spot for the 188. Enjoying your build, those improvements in the cockpit look great :)

Thanks, Woody! However, I've seen your builds and I knowthe cockpit is not a patch on those.

Having duly "splashed some paint around", here's what the cockpit looks like now:

DSCF5337_zps6008eb96.jpg

DSCF5336_zpscc99ce97.jpg

With the extensive framing, not much of this will be seen (thank goodness) but hopefully it'll look a bit busier than what was there before.

The engine nacelles have had another coat of filler and after extensive sanding, here's the result. I used masking tape to protect the cowlings from the gentle caress of the wet n' dry. I think that'll do until the primer coat:

DSCF5339_zpsfb4931dc.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

regards,

Martin

Now don't get me wrong: I like a bit of hot cockpit detailing action as much as the next modeller. But is there anything really to compare with the joy of gluing big bits of airframe structure together and having the basic shape of the aircraft appearing as if by magic?

No. And that's why I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at the bench this evening:

DSCF5341_zps1a83ea9c.jpg

DSCF5342_zps20d28406.jpg

regards,

Martin

• Like 2

That's a tasty choice of scheme Martin and you can't be far from getting started to the paintwork now.

I'm still working out how I'm going to do it! Hairy stick prob'ly doesn't cut it for this one. Don't have airbrush and can't find RLM76 spray can.

Pre-paint RLM76, add paper masks held on by blu-tack, then spray dark grey / black?

regards,

Martin

For a brush-painting I'd go with 76 as the base and use a tight dry-brushing for the edges rapidly building up to a solid colour for the stripes and undersurfaces. Plenty masking required otherwise but the paper and white-tac method will produce nice results.

For a brush-painting I'd go with 76 as the base and use a tight dry-brushing for the edges rapidly building up to a solid colour for the stripes and undersurfaces. Plenty masking required otherwise but the paper and white-tac method will produce nice results.

Thanks Col! That certainly is a possibility; I may have a practise with both approaches and see which I like best.

regards,

Martin

Hi folks,

Progress is still being made (slowly) on the '188, but nothing particularly pic-worthy. Wheels, bombs, prop / spinners (Hase) and exhaust dampers (Hase) have all been joined. A coat of filler was applied to all the major joints and sanded back, and it is now at a stage where I can realistically begin scribing some fuselage details. Once that is done, I can try a coat of primer to see what it looks like.

regards,

Martin

Any progress is good progress Martin. "At best, one is in motion; at worst, reaching no absolute in which to rest. One is always nearer by not keeping still." Or something like that - told myself this a few times when doing tedious or awkward tasks at the modelling bench ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress is good progress Martin. "At best, one is in motion; at worst, reaching no absolute in which to rest. One is always nearer by not keeping still." Or something like that - told myself this a few times when doing tedious or awkward tasks at the modelling bench ;)

And here is some more "good progress" (ie very little). I am still finding it impossible to start rescribing the fuselage of the '188 (I keep saying, "Just do the dinghy hatch", but I can't get into it) so I've painted some of the small bits, which you see in this shot:

DSCF5395_zpsdc08e07c.jpg

I'll get onto it later next week - honest!

regards,

Martin

Having seen one of these kits build without modification at a show on Sunday my eye was instantly drawn to the tapered cowls. Your work really has done wonders for it Martin.