HS/BAe First Generation Harrier volume 1: 1960-2000 book by AIRfile

bootneck

Hi, Enzo - I also considered XV738 to be "mine" to an extent while painted gray. The initial plan for the sqn markings was to use the normal colours. Having built a few USN models with toned down markings, I approached the CO with a proposal for a toned down set of IV(AC) markings - painted on A4 paper in Humbrol colours. He agreed, the P&Ds eventually agreed for beer, and the ac was painted with toned down markings. I was slightly disappointed when 738 was repainted when Matchcoat was over, but your scheme was rather brighter and more special.

Regards

Tim

Towards the end.

In 1987 IV(AC) Sqn celebrated its 75th anniversary. It struck me that 1987 was also XV738's 25th birthday so I suggested to the Sqn CO that the jet should be painted in a special scheme which I designed. That scheme was the squadron flash on the fin. Do a search on BM and you will find numerous mentions by me about that scheme! :D

From that point on, I always considered Bravo to be "my" jet. Whenever I was running a HAS, I always made sure that Bravo was one of my jets. I loved that jet and made sure it was cared for. Considering it was the oldest Harrier in the fleet, it was always one of the best jets. We had a young jockey nicknamed "Bedlam" who had a reputation for bending (and sometimes breaking) jets. I made sure that Bedlam never, ever flew Bravo. Oddly enough, no one ever noticed how the INAS went into aurorev whenever Bedlam climbed into the cockpit of that jet.

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

Following your earlier comms with chocksaway (that's Graham, not me btw), PM sent earlier to you by me offering help with these and any other issues we stumble across...e.g. early SHAR FRS1 with 700A Sqn was XZ45/VL/100 not ZA451, etc. #241-246.

We appreciate it may be late in the day but it's the least we can do to help Glen, Neil and you remove your collective palms from faces...

Nils desperandum... eh.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Jon,

Following your earlier comms with chocksaway (that's Graham, not me btw), PM sent earlier to you by me offering help with these and any other issues we stumble across...e.g. early SHAR FRS1 with 700A Sqn was XZ45/VL/100 not ZA451, etc. #241-246.

We appreciate it may be late in the day but it's the least we can do to help Glen, Neil and you remove your collective palms from faces...

Nils desperandum... eh.

Cheers

Nick

I don't have a palm to my face. TBH Nick....when are we likely to see you actually write a book?

Don't drag me into your slagging off.

• Like 1