A build for less then a tenner GB - WE NEED YOU...

snapper_city

Hi Fellow BM'ers

With the Obsolete GB now going on and seeing lots of simple old kits being entered has got me thinking. Boring bit of background, I normally build 1:48 - 1:32 things with wings or rotors and 1:35 AFV's with all kinds of upgrades as my main modelling diet. However every now and then really feel like doing a nice simple build. Very minor after market additions, maybe seatbelts or a set of decals but that's all.
So I was wondering who would be interested in a cheap GB? Surely most of us have at least one cheap kit in the stash? The sort of between builds kit selection.

Basic Rules:

• Kit must cost no more than £10. (or foreign equivalent)
  • Kits bought many years ago for less than the upper price limit are included.
  • Any Scale or Genre
  • No After Market parts (The only exception will be decals but preferably kit options.)
  • Scratch building and spares box allowed

What do people think? I'm very open to adjustments or rules as long as they follow the basic nature of the idea above.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by snapper_city

Interesting idea but doesn't that rule out a lot of 1:72 stuff like Airfix Hawks & spitfires etc? Unless the kit is 2nd hand or bought donkeys years back. I like the idea of no upgrades but spares box & scratching allowed.

Couple of problems (though I like the concept alot.)

#1 what about for us foreign people with funny coloured paper?

#2 under a tenner basically rules out alot of scales and genres. You probably won't get any ship builders, and anything over 72nd

Who says it has to be new - this could be about the joy of picking up a crazy bargain in the charity shop or on eBay... I once picked up a 1/48 Monogram Invader for under a fiver, stupidly just missed out on a brand new Tamiya B-52 for 99p!

I am all in for this build. There are all sort of kits available from Revell that are new that would qualify and then there is trolling the tables at shows or bargin bins. Possibilities are rampant.

I know currency conversions etc can be seen as issues but it's really not about the cost. Yes you cant enter something that is lots of money but is generally cheap in the modelling sphere of things. I'm trying to include as many interests as possible and understand some genre's and scales will be harder to include than others. Ship builders for example. I don't have a massive knowledge in the area but do understand that that ship builders have less subjects and kits available than aircraft builders. A lot of these can be a large cost outlay with the after market costing sometimes more than the price of the kit. So my question would be what do maritime builders build for a 'nice quick fun build'? something like this Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Warspite 1915 maybe? Yes she is nearly £20 but in the grand scheme of things a nice cheap kit that wouldn't take half a year to complete.

Our club had an under a tenner competition a while back and it was very effective at getting most of the club building and despite the price limit the selection of finished models covered a wide rane of subjects...

What about prices adjusted for inflation... so people have stashes going back to l,s,d, and may have a 1/24th Airfix Stuka bought for £8 back in 1970... :evil_laugh:

Our club had an under a tenner competition a while back and it was very effective at getting most of the club building and despite the price limit the selection of finished models covered a wide rane of subjects...

What about prices adjusted for inflation... so people have stashes going back to l,s,d, and may have a 1/24th Airfix Stuka bought for £8 back in 1970... :evil_laugh:

This is half the reason behind the idea I think. After chatting to quite a few modellers now I have heard the same thing quite a few times. I don't enter GB's because I probably wont get it finished in time or my mind will always wander mid build and I haven't finished anything in ages. We all remember being a kid and knocking out a build in a day or two. I know those days are long gone and we can't reverse our technical abilities. For example take our one and only hairy stick to a build. Personally my hairy stick collection has evolved with my needs and the thought of not airbrushing a build in favour of hand painting isn't an option. But a simple cheap kit no matter what paint scheme with a touch of scratch building maybe will always be in my eyes a quick easy build to keep the modelling juices flowing. A nice manageable project where you can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel before you even open the box.

On the subject of I bought this kit back when my passport photo was black and white for this much I'm not really sure. I don't see why not because with all the bargain bin searches and ebay trawling to be had I'm sure there must be some absolute gems to be had.

We could always do a sliding scale on the price limit - e.g. Aircraft up to £[10], cars probably the same, AFVs up to £[15] and ships up to say £[20]...

Besides, with a year or so's notice, half of the fun of this GB could be hunting for that outrageous bargain that you know is out there somewhere!

Sounds good - we could call it the 'austerity' build (or the Yorkshire build).

I would go for it (being tight and all).

Pete

Couple of problems (though I like the concept alot.)

#2 under a tenner basically rules out alot of scales and genres. You probably won't get any ship builders, and anything over 72nd

Hey I don't know, I picked up a Heller Jeanne d'Arc Helicopter carrier in 1/400 for £2.50 as well as a 1/48 Hercules with drones for £1

Wayne

More than happy with this idea...a lot of my eBay early purchases were well cheap...however I think they should be built using just the kit and no AM...a bit of 'true' modelling. Good challenge!

I could be interested, the only thing putting me off is the massively high standards of everyone elses builds.

That's alright, mine won't be!

Though perhaps we should give bonus points to those who don't use any equipment that cost them more than a tenner, either! Brush painting all round! :)

That's alright, mine won't be!

Though perhaps we should give bonus points to those who don't use any equipment that cost them more than a tenner, either! Brush painting all round! :)

Thanks Hythe. I remember brush painting from when I was a kid. And the obligatory poly cement finger print on the canopy also.

• Like 2

We could always do a sliding scale on the price limit - e.g. Aircraft up to £[10], cars probably the same, AFVs up to £[15] and ships up to say £[20]...

Besides, with a year or so's notice, half of the fun of this GB could be hunting for that outrageous bargain that you know is out there somewhere!

We could have differing price limits for different subject types if required but I quite like the idea of a standard for everyone to try and work to.

More than happy with this idea...a lot of my eBay early purchases were well cheap...however I think they should be built using just the kit and no AM...a bit of 'true' modelling. Good challenge!

I really like the idea of no after market parts. Just scratching and bits from the spares box. Keep it simple and fun.

I could be interested, the only thing putting me off is the massively high standards of everyone elses builds.

Yes there are some Michelangelo's on the forum but most of us human.

Even with the price limitation possibly ruling out some subjects I truly feel this could be a GB for everyone...

• Like 1

Time dependent (loads on in the first half of 2014) I would be in for this. I have loads of ebay bargains, and the same from shows (if it isn't a bargain I generally don't buy it) so I would be stuck for choice. Count one vote here.

This is a fantastic idea for a GB. I'm a 48er and I've picked up a few under a tenner kits off eBay. Surely there are opportunities to pick up ships and tanks and cars for bargain prices now and then?

Apart from setting a figure that the kit must have been purchased for, what about other components? Say paint, should it have a budget that forces us to use what we already have or do a bit of paint mixing?

Apart from setting a figure that the kit must have been purchased for, what about other components? Say paint, should it have a budget that forces us to use what we already have or do a bit of paint mixing?

I would say consumables are not included as we are all different. I might only have a small collection of paints etc when the next guy has every colour of every paint manufacturer. Otherwise we would be calling it the Starter Kit GB. I think there is no real levelling of playing fields to be had here. Its how you use it at the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

don't forget if you shop around you can get some really good stuff for a tenner I paid £9 for an Edward 190 a8 r2 weekend but I think that may require 4 years not 4 months but the big h have the hase 190 A3 for a tenner as well both 48th and good modern kits