Novo Supermarine Attackers

Jb65rams

My entry will be Novo boxing of Frog's Supermarine Attacker in 1/72, which originally saw the light of day in 1956.

Box01_Attacker072Novo_zpsfccae0af.jpg

Time has removed most of the parts from the sprues. Comes with a pilot head molded to the fuselage.

Parts01_Attacker072Novo_zps4504b879.jpg

Not many stages to the build.

Parts03_Attacker072Novo_zps6a403ae6.jpg

Parts02_Attacker072Novo_zpsb66a9964.jpg

I also have the airwaves etch set. Tempted to see if I can find a second Attacker so I can build one OOB and a "improved" one.

Edited by Jb65rams

Err yes, the wheel wells :sick: The fun I had opening them up only to find that the kit ones are too long and I had to refill and make good again. IIRC the wells are only on the kit wing pieces the section on the fuselage is bogus.

The big question is.... matt or satin black??

I seem to remember that my canopy fogged even using PVA, I ended up with a tarpaulin over it. Might do that with the Vampire I'm doing :hmmm: or rather am about to start doing, after I've checked You Tube for piano playing cats,

Thanks for the tips about the wheel wheels.

I have purchased second Novo Attacker, so one will be built out of the box, and one will have some after market thrown at it. Just need to search my spares box to find something I can convert into a drop tank.

Was also lucky to find the following when passing through Birmingham New Street station.

Ref01_Attacker_zpseafcdc42.jpg

Has some good photos and a cut away drawing that should help.

Wasn't planning on starting just yet, need to finish a couple of builds in the FAA & USN GBs but couldn't help myself when I had a spare half hour.

This will be the OOB build.

Build02_AttackerOOB_zps2183b697.jpg

Can't describe it but there was something satisfying about going back to basics, 8 bits and some glue and bingo you have an aeroplane.

• Like 2

Can't describe it but there was something satisfying about going back to basics, 8 bits and some glue and bingo you have an aeroplane.

Now if it was a Fujitrumptamigawa kit it would have 217 parts, resin, PE, rubber tyres, 23 decals options.... And take half a year to build! :P

I love the Zvezda 1/144 aircraft range for a bit of building fun, built and painted (hairy stick) a Lagg-3 in two hours, no real detail in the kit but it was just so satisfying to say "Done." and stick it on a shelf.

Love the cockpit! :lol:

And that's the whole spirit of this GB! :thumbsup:

Really great, this kit is so perfect to get kids into the hobby, I had my 4 at duxford recently and airfix gave you a free zero to build, lovely kit but too difficult and time consuming for your first go. You want something you can start painting quickly before getting to put the "transfers" on, for which this kit is ideal.

Success in our house is getting the prop to turn after the two fuselage halves are glued together, but we are getting better and hopefully so is my patience :wall:

Cheers Pat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just been reviewing the thread and realised that I have posted since October 11th. After failing to complete my entry for the USN GB I have finally found some time at the work bench.

Made a start on the second Attacker. Completed the surgery to open up the cockpit / wheel wells.

Build04_AttackerAM_zps305e5205.jpg

Build07_AttackerAM_zps60cee203.jpg

Next up is to search my spares box to find a suitable seat and belly fuel tank.

I find the Novo Attacker to be a satisfying kit to build. My upgrades are limited to a solid resin canopy plug and belly tank. Although I do rescribe the wheel bay doors and engine hatch cover, all the other panel lines get sanded off. Display stands are clear plastic cocktail swirlers nicked from a bar in the Toon.

Here's a few of mine.

ModelPics050.jpg

Display stands are clear plastic cocktail swirlers nicked from a bar in the Toon.