Here is my greek Fairey Battle, the last model I've made. I hope the chipping hasn't been too excessive! I think it is the most realistic 1/72 aircraft I've completed. I started this model by Christmas, but lack of paints delayed it's finishing until very recently.

1_72+Fairey+Battle+Airfix+model+kit+Batt

More pics and a full review here;

• Like 6

Very nice work Xantippos.

Just one thing. Are you sure the Greek Fairy Battle had national insignia on the top of the wings? I'm asking you this because I think during WWII they didn't have them, just the airframe ones.

Edited by Sernak

That looks absolutely superb! Excellent weathering I think Really like that & have always had a soft spot for the Battle. In some ways reminds me a little of the IL-2.

Martin

It was indeed similar to the Il-2 in some ways. It was a similar size (although the Battle was somewhat bigger), had a similar (though smaller) bomb load, and had similar performance figures (although the Battle had much better range). What doomed the Battle and allowed the Il-2 to turn into one of the most important warplanes of the Second World War were three, not so minor items. Horsepower (1030hp to the Il-2's 1700hp), armour (non-existent or almost so for the Battle, whereas the Shturmovik was extravagantly armoured), and fire power (two .303's for the Battle, two very powerful 23mm cannons and two fast-firing 7.62mm machine guns for offensive armament for most Il-2's, and a fast-firing 12.7mm machine gun for defence for most Il-2's). Of course the Battle was already entering service before the Il-2 had even flown in prototype form. But such was the pace of aircraft development in those days that the Battle was already obsolete by WWII.

Regards,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks to all. Sorry for not replying before, I had trouble signing in and one of my computers broke down.

Sernak, although some greek Battles didn't have markings on the top, I suppose others yes. I just really don't know and didn't think about it, I just followed the instructions. If some fighters had them, I suppose the Battles too.

The only real pic I have doesn't clear the riddle;

fairey_battle_b1.jpg

I have now seen that half of the modellers don't apply them, the rest does. Anyway, I like it more with full markings :police:

Jockney, I don't know the history of this particular example, but in overall the Greek Battles was quite acceptable, they attacked the italians and they scored some successes destroying italian convoys, before being wiped out by the Luftwaffe on the ground.

Edited by Xantippos