Golden Arrow

Bengalensis

Hi Jorgen,

Nice to see the progress you've made on this one. You've made a lovely job of it.

I think the logo on the cast windscreen mount says "Cox & Co." They made windscreens in their early days. There's a slightly better picture of it somewhere on the web where it's not so over-exposed.

Keep up the good work

Dave

I think Fastcat has nailed it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Of course! It's almost embarrassing to to admit the simplistic approach I have just used in today's world of special chipping fluids, layers on layers, hair spray etc... It's only slightly dried Humbrol silver applied with a small piece of a torn sponge and in some places a small brush, then a little of the same with titanium gold. Later there will be some dusting on top of some of it.

Thanks Jorgen, I thought it might be some fancy multi-layer effect, it certainly looks effective like it was. You of course have the skill and artistry to pull it off but I will file that technique away for potential future use myself.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the clever research and ideas! Cox & Co, that looks very likely. It clearly looks 3D, I wonder if it was a screwed on badge as there are two blind screws on the other side today. Not sure how to do this on the model right now, but I can add it later, I may have some ideas.

I have done some more dusting, not sure when to stop but I stopped now and will fit the wheels, then see more how it looks. It actually looks a bit less IRL than on this photo.

GA_93.jpg

• Like 1

The weathering is really starting to look the business Jorgen, superb......

Those following this build may be interested in these photos I found of another Golden Arrow build, except this one is the Scalekraft kit....

http://public.fotki.com/Rockinroller/plastic/irving-napier-golde/

• Like 1

Hi Jorgen,

The letters are raised and I think they are cast into one of the side frames for the screen. I think the assembly consisted of one large casting which sat on top of of the cockpit cowl and provided a lug on each side for the screen frame to screw on to. These are the holes you can see. Only one fixing hole per side is used. This would allow the rake of the screen to be adjusted by use of the other holes.

It's quite common to cast in the makers name as it costs nothing to do once the pattern has been made.

The inside of the side frames has the same rough, as-cast appearance as the lugs. As it's on the inside it wasn't cleaned up like the outer faces. I'd guess at an aluminium casting.

Cox & Company, formerly, Cox of Watford was formed in the late 1920s by Roland Wilton Cox.
Cox, initially making car accessories under the vehicle manufacturer Rotax, pioneered early
windscreen design and tubular automobile seating.

I found the above quote on the net.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks a lot guys! Those transfers are well worth trying, I will order a set.

It's getting closer now. I glued the rear wheels yesterday evening and the front wheels today. The fronts are now curing as this 5 min epoxy has taken considerably longer than usual the last times I used it... It will harden up but something is not quite right, I will have to buy a new set.

GA_94.jpg

That happened to a friend of mine recently - I expect the hardener has gone off....

Lovely work Jorgen,

I see the benefit of the weathering more so now....the tyres look perfect to my eye, it really brings the model alive. Are you planning to put this on a sand base??

My kit arrived from Profil 24 yesterday - it is a stunner; I wasn't prepared for how big it was....It really will grab the attention when complete.

• Like 1

Many thanks! If I can get it somewhere in the region of hearing the hot metal pinging and smelling it, I am more than satisfied. It will eventually get a base with some sort of packed sand surface. Sadly I won't have time for that before the show this weekend.

I'm sure it's the hardener that has given up, I think these tubes are rather old as I brought them in from my 1:1 scale workshop where I rarely use it. Getting new tomorrow. I seem to have gotten away with it this time, after a few hours.

And it is indeed a rather large and quite impressive model when you are confronted with it. As we have at least two persons in this thread who now have this kit at home, I would like to point out a few things. Below you can see the four radiator connectors. Drill them through and run a metal rod through them before installation. They are really too week when handling the model, especially during the build.

GA_9.jpg

Also the front axle could do with some internal metal reinforcements for the same reasons. I will put up a drawing with my thoughts later on.

I fitted the cockpit interior and the sight. That would be the last things. I have a tow hook laying here, but I can't really see it fitted during the runs. I must look again.

GA_95.jpg

This is where we are now. I'll check it over tomorrow to see if I want to adjust something. Then I will return to make a base after the weekend.

GA_96.jpg

GA_97.jpg

• Like 4

Wow - just jawdropping...

I thought that piece was odd.....the etch towing eye looks like it's off a modern car to me - from the research I've done so far I've only seen the steel wire loop in the middle of the nose...

** I'll amend that - on the video you posted you can see it on the front during the first test run....at 8.18

Paul

Edited by The Sheene Machine
  • Like 1

Hi Paul,

In the record runs it was on the left (looking from the front) and looks to be more like a modern towing eye. The wire loop seems to have been moved to the centre and fitted during its later life. No idea why this was done but it highlights the problem of most restored vehicles. Very few are perfectly original. Even more odd when you think it only did a few miles but things happen during storage and it didn't have the same careful treatment and respect that it has today.

Under the skin there were lots of bits missing and it wasn't in very good shape.

I like Jorgen's restrained weathering. People tend to think of these vehicles as being pristine but often they weren't. Panels had to be removed and replaced frequently and the paint was rarely to showroom standards - they were very transient vehicles to be used until they did their job, then either modified or discarded. This one did less than forty miles!

It certainly makes an impressive model and a brave choice of subject.

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

I agree - the footage and the photographs from the time certainly indicate the vehicle wasn't showroom when it arrived at Daytona - so to some extent Jorgen's model is too glossy compared to the finish seen on some of the close-ups....there's some sort of weathered streaking on the rear fin - and in some shots the car almost looks matt in finish...

It's a shame that between 1929 and 1958 the car was neglected, I understand the engine was a non runner when it was handed over to Beaulieu....Would I be correct in assuming that some restoration was done on her before her appearance at Goodwood in 1960?? I read that Beaulieu were attempting to source a replacement engine around 10 years ago..I guess that didn't happen.

I love Jorgen's last shot....

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind praise!

The tow hook is certainly in place when it's rolling down on the beach at 8:18, I know I had seen that hook at some older photos and that's why I have it in my box. But I get the impression it's removed during the runs, at 8:47 and 10:47 I can't see it, although the film isn't the sharpest. On the other hand, as my recreation is obviously standing still it perhaps should have the tow hook and also the carburettor air intakes stuffed with rags? Or no, it has just stopped after a run... :unsure:

Hi Jorgen,

Re the tow hook, I think it's just the quality of the film that prevents the hook from showing up. There are lots of photos where all the cameras and timing equipment is in place and Segrave is in his driving suit inside the car and the hook is visible. Can't imagine why it would be removed at that stage since it would be screwed to the front of the chassis and not easily removed once the front cowl was in place. In some photos, there's seemingly no hook but a better resolution image of the same shot shows it clearly.

The main problem with almost all of the photos is that they are purely to record the event, not the technical aspects of the car. I find it hard to believe that there aren't better high res. shots of the car. I've seen some absolutely brilliant photos of far less significant cars so I think many more may exist in company records or archives. There are some here for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBPrZuUuuQ

Paul,

Some cosmetic work may have been done in 1960, I don't know. The engine had not been prepared for storage and when handed over to the museum in 1958 was beyond restoration to running order. I don't know what came of the efforts to replace it. Beaulieu are quite helpful but for them to access their archive stuff, you have to pay although I think it's free if you do it yourself. I think the car has undergone more than one cosmetic makeover and the radiator pods have certainly altered drastically. Basically they're not there! Personally I think they should leave it alone. It is what it is, the more it's messed with, the less remains.................................

Kind regards

Dave

Edited by Fastcat
  • Like 1

I have looked at the film over and over and I'm not quite sure what I see. I had two different tow hooks put aside for this one. I fitted the smallest one today. There is also some tape like strip in the centre of the nose in the film. I might come back to that when doing the base.

GA_98.jpg

Now it's all packed down for tomorrows show.

GA_99.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Jorgen,

Re the strip on the nose, I'm inclined to think that it's the coach-builders' tag (Thrupp and Maberly), most probably a thin aluminium strip glued or pop-riveted to the bodywork. Logo would most likely have been printed on to it but it could have been punched in.

Have to say you've made a stunning model. Great work! :worthy:

Dave

• Like 1