A brace of Airfix old timer dornier 217's

This is a public service announcement. Do not try this at home!!!

P1130934.jpg

Unless you want to go mad ,masking the canopy of an aged Airfix do217 could send you over thw edge. On my example the frames were only evident in homeopathic form and the instructions show no painting guide to them .The task off masking must have been 10 timesas long as my total model finishing in one year in the 70's.

P1130938.jpg

Just got the front and bottom glazing to do :banghead:

Respect to anyone who has done the old Airfix BV 141 .I expect most have been sectiond.

• Like 1

That masking (in the size the canopy appears on my screen) is just beautiful. Knowing it´s magnified at least 4x it becomes incredible! And you´re doing two of these kits? :goodjob: V-P

I have now finised all masking on this first one and for a bit of a change have started the new mould Airfix Bf110e-2 trop. Intresting to experiance the difference that over another 40 years of model manufacturing by Airfix

has resulted in . Anyway will get this one together quickly ,finish the Do e2 and then crack on with the Do j Nightfighter . This one doesnt have a glazed nose atleast.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last posting i have rather neglected my build thread.

The main components are togerther and havebeen given a coat of Autotek acrylic grey primer to help identify any sink marks not already identified etc

P1130945.jpg

Pleased how it looks and all moveing surfaces still move including the undercarriage which will fully retract.

Lost a few rivets along top and bottom of fuselarge but main pannel lines still alive.

Undersurface has been given a coat of light blue P1130944.jpg

[url=http://s1107.photobucket.com/P1130945.jpg[/url]

This weekend if we get lots ofrain i hope to get the painting 85% finished.

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 1

I am following this with interest. i have "several" Do 217 in my unfinished/ just started pile including an old Airfix one. It is an a/c i have always liked very much.

A simple Google search of Do 217 images brought up two useful pics of RH+EJ the only option provided by Airfix and the one i have chosen to do to keep the model as authentic to what most modellers would have used back in the 60's-70,s when i think we did not need to be as induviduallistic. Unfortuantlly this will require the use of the kit TRANSFERS (now known as decals) which look to be in a rather sorry state.

Dornier-Do-217E2-Stammkennzeichen-RHEJ-W

Do217E-21.jpg

Both pictures are from the Dornier archive.

One clearly shows that this aircraft was not an overal olive green upper surface but had a splinter pattern.

P1130992.jpg

I have chosen to use olive green and one of the RLM maritime colours( Humbrol 244)

P1130991.jpg

I am pleased with the contrast and quite happy to put up with knowing its not anywhere near 100% accurate.

From the Photos it appears that there were no exhaust mufflers fitted but not sure.

P1130990.jpg

have kept weathering down to a minimum with only a liitle exhaust soot.

Have used the 'Thing' at the front . Don't know what it is but doesn't look like a gun ,however the instructions clearly show it .

P1130996.jpg

The decals were well past there use by date and seem to be almost plastic repelant !!!

gave a good gloss coat and lots of micro Set and Sol and some have gone on ok ,others are hovering on air ,only to be kept down by future and matt varnish.

P1130986.jpg

P1130980-Copy.jpg

P1130984.jpg

The transparencies are anything but clear however happy with the results of my masking

P1130985.jpg

A final picture of the Do 217 on its stand

P1130987.jpg

It seems that the stands provided by Airfix are nothing like those used by the Luftwaffe

post-1-0-49669900-1382205318.jpg

:yikes:

• Like 4

That looks great! The canopy looks good as well - from normal viewing distance (for this forum anything from 8 inches to arms length?) I bet it looks perfect!

Isn't the front thing a 20mm cannon with sights?

It's funny how the decals are such a mix of silvering and not. Elsewhere people have suggested liquid cement as a possible cure for stubborn silvering, but I can understand if you don't want to try it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

That looks great! The canopy looks good as well - from normal viewing distance (for this forum anything from 8 inches to arms length?) I bet it looks perfect!

Isn't the front thing a 20mm cannon with sights?

It's funny how the decals are such a mix of silvering and not. Elsewhere people have suggested liquid cement as a possible cure for stubborn silvering, but I can understand if you don't want to try it.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for your ideas Adrian

Yes it looks fine if not magnified .For the pilots the canopy is nothing but an over head sky light as the are too far down to have any chance of seeing out.

I was in two minds about useing the kit decals ,but as the projects aim was to build in a retro way i assumed decal softners like Micro sol wouldn't have been available so decal silvering and obvious carrier film would have been a fact of life . For the all black Do217j i have just started i will not use the kit decals as black shows up c**p decals to their worst. I may even concider masks.

I was in two minds about useing the kit decals ,but as the projects aim was to build in a retro way i assumed decal softners like Micro sol wouldn't have been available

How about white vinegar?

• Like 1

How about white vinegar?

And brown paper :banghead: One day an alian will unearth this model and useing advanced technology sample the air trapped beneth the decal and realise that life in devon was indeed primative

• Like 1

With a load of other kits in the stash that i'v been looking to build this winter it has been hard to make a start on the second of the Airfix Do217's .One after another was probably a mistake ,however i expect that if the 'J' isn't done now it will sink to the bottom of the pile ,never to be seen again. With this in mind i have jumped in and its now well on the way.

It was a nice suprise to see that Airfix have fixed the error that positiond the cockpit floor way too low by staggering the seats as together side by side they were too wide

P1140001.jpg Now the pilot can see out there is a realistic chance that the Pisky Brits can be seen and shot down.

P1130999.jpg

Along with the Do217J i am building the Newish Airfix Bf110E just so i can make a comparison with one of Airfixes oldest twin engined Luftwaffe aircraft with their newest. I have to admit that i'm a liitle disapointed with the 110 . I had heard about the deep trenches for pannel lines but they are far worse than i thought possible . Almost deep enough to sow carrot seeds in. The quality of the plastic also seems inferior rather soft and rough.I think i prefere the raised detail of the 60's over what Airfix have given us on the 110. Had to make some Milliput cushions to cover up deep injector pin marks in bottom of seats

P1140003.jpg

The 'j' is now almost built apart from haveing to mask the canopy . This one is looking to be in a lot better condition than the last one so another plus for the 'J'

• 1 month later...

Well they are both finished. This has been a close run thing as this group build almost whent the same way as last years 'what if' G/B when my Mother died half way through knocking life of ballance for a while . For this one my Father suddenly died on the 2nd November with no warning ,again turning life upside down . (1 year and 5 days between them ). I have just about finished sorting everything out and have got back on track . A lot quicker this time .

The second Dornier being much simpler to paint , just a few coats of modelmates matt spray primmer out of the can and lee glazing to mask.

The decals whent on a lot better than on the E3 with very little silvering ,however they were seriously out of register but in keeping with the spirit of this G/B they were used .

Overall i have enjoyed building them both and am sure that if it wasn't for the G/B they would have sat in there boxes for another 30 odd years.

While douing my reserch for them i came across Matt Swans superb Dornier Do-217 M-11
Pro-Modeler kit converted with Koster Aero Enterprise vacformed conversion.
so to give myself something to get my teeth into for the start of next year i'm going to do this project myself . Managed to get the Koster conversion for a good price on Ebay from the U.S .This time there will be no parents to interupt the flow!!

SAM_1410.jpg

SAM_1407.jpg

This time there will be no parents to interrupt the flow!!

That is black humour at its blackest. Good for you, and sincere condolences as well as congratulations on still managing to complete two 'classic' builds. Good luck with the conversion in the new year.