1/48 Bristol/DAP Beaufort

RAL

If I recall correctly, it's been a couple of years since Special Hobby announced their forthcoming 1/48 Airspeed Oxford and 1/48 Bristol Beaufort. While we have the Oxbox, there's still no sign of the Beaufort.

Given that the aircraft was operated extensively by Australia (built by the Department of Aircraft Production (DAP)), Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Turkey and the UK, I would have thought that there was a pretty good market for a 1/48 scale Beaufort.

Is there any news on a likely release of this important WWII aircraft in 1/48? Special Hobby/MPM??

Regards

RAL

Hi Roger,

You forgot to mention RAF usage :) . Actually I just noticed you said NZ, I don't think the RNZAF ever used them.

No news on any release I'm afraid.

It should be noted that there are major cross section problems etc with their 1/72 kit so you may be better off building the VAC kit.

Micheal Woodgate proved that it can be done.

Steve Mackenzie

Hi Roger,

I haven't heard any news although I wouldn't, being just another member of the modelling mass. I would love a 1/48 scale kit of the Beaufort and more specifically of the DAP Beaufort Mk VIII since although I don't consider this aircraft particularly pleasing to the eye and it had it's share of technical problems I have always been fascinated by the type since childhood.

As to Special Hobby kitting it (wouldn't it be nice Tamiya or Eduard), I can't see it being a commercial success as a model kit. As a fan as such of the type and having waded through a lot of archival material on the type. Not to mention having touched a number of Beaufort airframes and or parts over the years. If it turns out to be as dissimilar to the prototype as their 1/72nd scale offerings were I wouldn't part with a single cent for the kit whenever or if it comes out.

Cheers,

Daniel.

As to Special Hobby kitting it (wouldn't it be nice Tamiya or Eduard), I can't see it being a commercial success as a model kit. As a fan as such of the type and having waded through a lot of archival material on the type. Not to mention having touched a number of Beaufort airframes and or parts over the years. If it turns out to be as dissimilar to the prototype as their 1/72nd scale offerings were I wouldn't part with a single cent for the kit whenever or if it comes out.

Cheers,

Daniel.

The Beaufort would sell as well as the Fulmar, Skua, Barracuda and all those other otherwise un- kitted unusual but important types that Special Hobby/MPM have had the gaul to produce.If they had your attitude they wouldnt be putting a 48th Heinkel 115 on the shelves which I think is being greeted by many. I for one would buy a Beaufort produced by them and use my modelling skills to attempt to rectify any faults that become apparent!!

Mick

Edited by mick b

Hi Roger,

You forgot to mention RAF usage :) . Actually I just noticed you said NZ, I don't think the RNZAF ever used them.

No news on any release I'm afraid.

It should be noted that there are major cross section problems etc with their 1/72 kit so you may be better off building the VAC kit.

Micheal Woodgate proved that it can be done.

Steve Mackenzie

Hi Steve

UK = RAF :) By Kiwis, I meant RNZAF aircrew ... same would apply to RAF I guess where aircrew from the Commonwealth (RAAF, Canada, SA etc) seved in RAF squadrons on Beauforts.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger,

I haven't heard any news although I wouldn't, being just another member of the modelling mass. I would love a 1/48 scale kit of the Beaufort and more specifically of the DAP Beaufort Mk VIII since although I don't consider this aircraft particularly pleasing to the eye and it had it's share of technical problems I have always been fascinated by the type since childhood.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Hi Daniel

Like you, the DAP Beaufort MKVIII has been one of my favourite aircraft since childhood. My elder brother and I actually carved ourselves a Beaufort each from balsa way back when. They were our pride and joy although the C&M left a lot to be desired; hand painted using Dulux enamel paints from Dad's workshop ... sadly, neither model survived the endless wargames that were played in the backyard :)

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger,

Your home made Beaufort sounds terrific! I wonder do you happen to have any photographs of you and your brothers efforts? I wouldn't mind seeing pics since I am impressed by such efforts.

Hi Mick,

So if it will sell as well as the Fulmar, Skua etc as you suggest, then it isn't selling as well as a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 or a Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX or a North American P-51D Mustang or other more popular kit subjects. Therefore I was not being unreasonable when I wrote the following: "I can't see it being a commercial success as a model kit" since at the the end of the day it probably won't as a subject and in that scale if researched (costs money time and effort) and rendered (costs money time and effort) as faithfully as the medium of plastic etc allow be a great investment.

My fear is that if it is kitted by Special Hobby it may based on past form with their 1/72nd scale range of Beaufort kits be rather poorly in a number of significant areas. I hope if they do release a kit of the Beaufort in 1/48 scale they don't make the same mistakes and omissions again and I might add I don't expect them to, that said it is not unreasonable to fear they might get it wrong.

I am happy and impressed that you would buy a Special Hobby or any other kit manufacturers rendering of the Beaufort in 1/48 scale since you have the modelling skills required (if their 1/48 scale kit resembles their 1/72nd scale offering), to replace the fuselage, bomb/torpedo bay, cowlings and other areas as well.

For myself if it is similar in accuracy to their 1/72nd scale offerings (which I have one of) I will not fork out the money on the kit nor waste my time (since the wife & kids, work, research and other interests take time as well) in attempting to fix a joke of a bomb/torpedo bay, less than stellar fuselage and not quite right cowlings amongst other things, which my modelling skills can't fix.

Since I have been in Beaufort's, handled a lot of their parts and waded through considerable volumes of archival documents on the type and interviewed former crew as well etc, I can't help but notice when something is poorly done on a Beaufort kit so for me it has to be closer to the subject than further in terms of accurate portrayal for me to be interested.

On the other hand I can understand the approach of a mild resemblence is good enough, since one of my favourite kits ever is the Matchbox 1/72nd scale F4U-4 Corsair and that kit is more caricature than faithful rendering. Yet despite that is one of my most favourite kits to build and looks great on the shelf.

On the point of attitude I am disappointed by your presumption that you suggest that if Special Hobby had my attitude they wouldn't release kits like the He-115. You are wrong regarding my attitude, I would like to see a range of more esoteric kit subjects given the more recent Tamiya/Eduard quality treatment.

I am pragmatic enough however to appreciate that what I would like kitted may not be a best selling subject. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like a kit of it though, since I'm still waiting on the following 1/48 scale kits by Tamiya or Eduard of the Handley Page Hampden, De Havilland DH 89 Dragon Rapide, Ford Tri-Motor, Amiot 143, Cant Z.506 and the 1/32nd scale Hawker Hector, PZL.23 KaraÅ›, Miles Magister M.14 and the Boulton Paul Defiant.

If it were your money would you invest it to pay for all that is required to research design, manufacture, release and market a kit of a Tamiya quality 1/48 scale Amiot 143 or a 1/32nd scale PZL.23 KaraÅ›?

Cheers,

Daniel.

Hi Steve,

489 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force did use some Beaufort aircraft from August 1941 to January 1942, They were N1075, N1089, N1105 and N1106 respectively.

Cheers,

Daniel.

I`ve been patiently waiting for an injection moulded 1/48th scale Beaufort too and would buy 2 or 3 depending on the price. In the meantime I`ve built the Sangar kit using some parts from a trashed Tamiya Beaufighter and although it is less than perfect here it is;

Beaufort1.jpg

Come on Special Hobby, please let me replace this in my cabinet,

Cheers

Tony O

Hi Tony,

Nice effort on your Beaufort, I always like seeing your builds, as an aside most former RAAF Beaufort aircrew who flew in the cockpit and or nose of the plane suffer from hearing loss caused by their service.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Cheers Daniel,

Glad you like it,..........I didn`t know about the RAAF crewmen having hearing trouble,..was that due to the Twin Wasp engines used on the Aussie a/c and them being so close to the fuselage? Most of the blokes who flew the Beaufort Mk.I or II in Europe and the Middle East didn`t live long enough to have hearing trouble and those who did were probably just happy to be alive! Please don`t take that as a slur against the Aussie lads who flew the Beaufort in the Pacific though.

I worked on radio`s in the Army and later in civvie street and due to the constant static noise I`ve also got hearing trouble too so I can appreciate what you say,.....most of my mates are the same but lads from the Artillery are even worse! I believe that ex Shackleton crewmen are the same,......imagine the get togethers that they have,....."what,...,who,....speak up"!

Cheers

Tony O

Edited by tonyot

Hi Tony,

It was due to engine noise and the hearing loss problem has been mentioned to me by a number of ex Beaufort crew usually with a laugh and a statement along the lines of those of us who were in the cockpit and nose are all deaf because of engine noise and then they talk about Veterans Affairs. As to slurs I take no offence, the losses were what they were. Anyway as a dual National I can barrack for Australia or England in cricket at my leisure since both teams are on my side.

Cool on the Sig stuff, I have always had an interest in Signals stuff ever since I did a Regimental Signallers course (radio for Infantry chaps not clever enough to be Signallers :whistle: ) a long time ago. Perversely I can honestly say I enjoyed using ops codes, charging batteries on FFR Rovers plus installing radios, erecting horizontal and vertical dipoles and setting up K phone switchboards and more.Thankfully I didn't have my ears next to a handset, headset or a speaker all of the time and am glad I didn't live in a Mortar or Arty CP on Signals duty.

I can imagine the get together I've known a number of chaps who are a bit deaf.

Cheers,

Daniel.

It would be nice and I'd certainly get one. You know, what I don't understand is how the major companies pick what they are going to produce. Ok, some are pretty simple like Spitfires and 109's, they always sell well but then we get kinda odd things like Dornier 335A-12's, Ki 46 Dinahs with 37mm gun and Rex float planes, of which not that many were produced in reality. Hasegawa produce Graces, 2 seat Zeros, Henschel 129 with 75mm guns and surely there are other models that would outsell those, like a Beaufort or new Mirage series. It would be interesting to see how many of those are produced and how many have actually sold as I might be way off in my thinking!