Airfix 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant mk1

tinytuco

In my case it's not bravery but insanity. I have three Defiants and a Frog Skua on the go,

Steve, you may be right about the Skua being worse than the Defiant. For one thing, the wings are ridiculously narrow. My plan is to position them so the trailing edge is in the correct position and build up the front with card and putty (who knows where the wheel wells will end up...)

John.

Doesn't the new Revell Halifax have a suitable spare you can use? I've never tried it myself, so I could be wrong...

I know people have used the one from the Matchbox kit in the past. Presumably one from the Airfix Halifax would be ok too (a bit of an improvement, if only in size). I haven't come across an after market replacement. Of course, the fuselage needs widening substantially to take a turret of the right dimensions.

John.

The Falcon set will give a good replacement for the canopy but it presents a problem for the turret. It is designed as a direct replacement for the Airfix one and is therefore too small. If you want to build a turret that is dimensionally correct, you are no further forward.

The Falcon set will give a good replacement for the canopy but it presents a problem for the turret. It is designed as a direct replacement for the Airfix one and is therefore too small. If you want to build a turret that is dimensionally correct, you are no further forward.

I AM building the airfix one.....

Tuco :winkgrin:

I think if i'm not widening the fuselage (i have neither the will, nor the skill to do this), then making a bigger turret may look out of place??? :shrug:

So I'm going to tart up the current turret with new guns and maybe a little scratch building (a very little scratch building) and the falcon canopy....

I have posted in the wanted section if anybody has the falcon defiant canopy - hopefully i can get something sorted.... And i will keep my eyes peeled elsewhere...

It aint going to be perfect - I'm just trying to make it look better......

Thanks all.....

D-Day arriving.........

Tuco :winkgrin:

Edited by tinytuco

I recall a sixties wet Saturday afternoon covering an all black model with tube glue in an attempt to build one. It did hold together and , well, dare I say it ........

"It looked like a Defiant"

to a short sighted 10 year old, from a distance.... if you squinted a lot

Mind you it looked like a Roc too

:lol: When I was 10, I'd only just started a real hobby( still here 45 years later!! :lol: ). I'd never even HEARD of the Defiant until I saw one in F W Woolworths urging me to part with my pocket money!! Needless to say I bought it!!. I think however that Vicarage Vee is right. We ARE missing the point. Modellers nowadays are spoiled outrageously compared with modellers of 40 - 50 years ago. I really think we should NOT judge a kit that is now 53 years old by the standards of 2013. The Airfix Defiant was perfectly acceptable by the standards of the time & should be accepted that way. Old,crude and basic it may be but, I think there is more sheer modelling fun to be had with these old kits than with the latest offerings from Trumpetamifujicademygawa where all you do is pour cement & paint in one end, shake the box & a completed kit pops out the other end!

Once I get the Mirage out of the way, my next job will be the Airfix B-25. Modern kits are for relaxation!! Real modelling is what we are doing with this G B!! :lol:

Allan

• Like 6