Novo Beaufighter Old Skool Build FINISHED!

I don't remember ever painting Nav lights back then.

And, All my model aircraft had black interiors.

It probably helped to hide the lack of detail.

The crew were always fitted, how else could they fly across the ceiling?

Never did build this kit though.

Good luck

Pete

• 1 month later...

Ok after a lul in construction, I have glued some bits together tonight! This comprised the main wings, tailplanes and the flaps/ailerons.

Here we go.....

null_zps5e63a92d.jpg

As you can see, it is not a snug fit. Not only are there gaping chasms at both wing roots, there is a step in plan view at the leading edge where the wing meets the wing root. Lots of filler and filing ahead methinks.

Now the odd thing about this kit, the arrangement of the flaps and ailerons. It is clear that the moulds have been semi modified from their Frog days, but in a haphazard way. Whilst I have all f the flaps, I only have parts of the ailerons. So, in order to complete this.....thing, I will have to resort to some thin plastic card. It is a bit of a deviation from my old skool build, but necessary in order to complete it. I woud be interested to find out if anyone else with a Frogspawn release has the same problem?

null_zps196e7c52.jpg

Ho hum!

Trevor

• 1 month later...

More progress.

I have now put filler to the wing roots, added scrap card for the missing flappery and then shaped them.I discovered that there was no part for the ventral hole, where someone decided the AA battery was required for the spin-a-prop.

But then.......

I discovered that there was indeed a part for the belly. But it was in clear plastic. And it was a short shot at front and back! I had noticed this part in the bag before but had not realised it for what it was. I had even considered throwing it away at one point. I therefore glued a backing of plastic card and glued the combination into place.

Finally for tonight I glued the undercarriage doors shut.

So then, pictures you ask. I would love to show some, but Photobucket is now beginning to test my patience. I updated the software on my iPhone and now I cannot find anywhere to copy the img code. It used to be when I pressed the 'i' function - not anymore. Now I am on my pc and have tried to resize the photos to 800 x 600 to fit properly onto the page. It has decided to freeze when I press save/replace original (incidentally up to about two updates ago, I was a able to upload AND resize from my phone. Again not anymore......)

grrr!

Photos as and when I can whip the images into shape.

Trevor

I love Photobucket again!

This is what I was blathering on about in the above post.

Here are the plastic card replacements for the missing aileron parts. Once glued these were sanded to blend in with the rest of the wing

84668185-F95A-4DAE-8815-4D212840F3F6_zps

31E2CBDE-662B-4383-898A-5814395B3C6D_zps

5798C884-AF56-4F1A-A0B4-8394F293C2F5_zps

Here is the rather odd clear, short shot belly part

F810FB3C-FD2C-4227-BEF3-1C796BFB4E69_zps

Now placed in situ with a plastic card backing so that I can build up the missing ends with shims of card and putty. I just noticed that I stuck this in the wrong way around. Never mind, this would only be a problem if I were using the torpedo, which I am not, or a stand (not included)!

I have decided to do this wheels up, as I still have a cunning plan for displaying the thing.

Onwards and upwards

Trevor

it's official. I hate this piece of [insert adjective here].

I glued the transparent thing with plastic card backing (the wrong way around I figured out afterwards :doh:).

5CDE7EEA-7205-4CB0-9239-34710060861A_zps

Then lashings of Plasto

6770873A-40AD-4FBB-A441-0C1C0137DACE_zps

Putty

Sand

Putty

Sand (you get the idea)

Lots of other areas to putty and sand

8238AF0E-0EAA-4493-87C6-43BFBD02B693_zps

0CEE27AB-5841-445F-8872-4431D13025ED_zps

Oh look, more ill fitting parts, namely the carb intake. More putty and sanding.

B02E0F04-C895-4095-A0F2-866CD546D83C_zps

Hopefully I'm within a day or two of finishing with the puttying and sanding (did I mention that before?) and I can then slap some green on it and finally finish it and then progress to something that's fun :deadhorse:

Whether I finish in time for the Group Build is touch and go but Christmas deffo.

Trevor

Thanks for the encouragement v-p. if it wasn't for the Group Build, this would be consigned to the furthest reaches of the Shelf of Doom.

If nothing else, it's made me appreciate the fact that an accurate, readily available and cheap Beaufighter in 1/72 would be a good seller. I would settle for a Revell repop of the Hasegawa one, but would prefer it if Airfix did the right thing.

Trevor

More filler, more sanding and now polishing.

:work:

Modelling is fun remember? Not with this project it aint. Anyhoo........

Dear reader, I left you yesterday bemoaning the fact that the carburettor cowling fitting was merely 'advisory'. So more putty last night and filing tonight, resulted in this

E647CD07-7123-4196-A91F-1B68010BB75B_zps

Not perfect, but the sink mark on the side has gone and the gaps have gone.

Then I went for the not so soft underbelly and polished it out with chrome polish paste rubbed in with a lens cleaning cloth. Not bad even if I say so myself

5CEF62C8-5CF5-4841-A0B3-2BAEC1BA9E35_zps

A scrub with soapy water to get rid of the swarf from all of the sanding and I think that I am now ready to wallop some of Humbrol's finest on it. I am going for enamels here, because I can't face having to apply multiple coats of acrylic to obtain an opaque finish and truth be told, I just want to kick this over the finishing line. :hanging:

Trevor

:shit:

Mini update.

Thanks to Giorgio's advice in the general build thread I bought a tin of Humbrol 30, which he suggested was a good match for Foliage Green. I'm no expert on Aussie camouflage but it looks exotic enough to me.

Decent coverage with a wide brush, it has exposed some of my 'treatment' of the model. However, in keeping with my "it's a 10 year old building this on a wet Saturday" it'll do......as I said I'm seriously not enjoying this build. As an aside it smells different to other Humbrol enamels. It's a recent purchase, or have they changed the formula?

I'll finish painting it tomorrow. I'm still undecided whether to do the 'Microscale' method before applying the minimal markings, or else apply them direct onto the matt finish and go for that underrated 'silvering' effect so beloved of all glue fingered and hyperactive kids.

Incidentally, the Novo stickies look as if there is no carrier film - I'll see if they shatter when wet. Thankfully I found a replacement set in that Frog transfer lucky dip bag I bought at a Duxford show approx 1980 for a £1. Seriously, that is the best quid I've ever spent on anything modelling related. All have worked perfectly over the years. I know people have posted here on the best way to preserve their spares. Do what I do and lob them all in a Hasegawa MiG 29 box, shake and leave in your garage! Perfect results every time.

More soon!

Trevor

• Like 1

Hi David

I suppose they ran out of grey plastic and either there was no quality control or Comrade Injection Moulder had a strict daily quota to assist in the downfall of the Imperialist system. I believe early Novo kits may have been done in the UK 'to get them going' but this is definitely a by product of Tractor Factory No. 42 or whatever. Scroll back to near the top of the thread and I speculate that one part may even show signs of mould rust.

This kit is penance for an earlier evil existence of mine.

I must have been truly despicable!

Trevor

Progress!

I finished the painting and stuck on the transparencies.

Whirley things and stickies next then its finished. I think I may just make the deadline.

77CA2799-FF5A-44C5-B2EF-522104560D85_zps

Don't look too closely, it's a bit rough. But that's intentional.......right? :evil_laugh:

Trevor

Right then, more progress.

I decided to go with this new fangled 'Microscale Method' that comes from America. Gloss varnish, apply 'decals' (urgh horrid new word) and then matt varnish on top.

I used Humbrol's Satin Coat. If that's satin, well the gloss must be dazzling! I then used the Frog lucky bag transfers and they worked. A couple were a bit stubborn but all came off and settled well. Tomorrow I'll matt varnish it and apply the props and unveil the display method...........

Trevor

(Photos tomorrow too)

FINISHED!!!!

I made it with a few hours to spare.

Given the missing and deformed parts I had to compromise somewhat in my schoolboy build. However, I have still succeeded in having runny varnish marks and failure to eliminate all joins.

Had this been a better kit and had I not despised it so much, I probably would have made a better fist of it.

In the style of a 10 year old, this is what it would look like hanging from a ceiling!

Anyway enough verbage, just don't look too closely!

EC4E2201-6DA7-4AEC-A76E-949FD5888179_zps

5501BBC1-1892-48CC-920B-D9595B750934_zps

4315C0F4-D793-4A6E-88A1-7AA8897CFAB9_zps

F373C790-8347-4048-837D-F84EFB83E025_zps

*phew*

Trevor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...